Swellguy's 73 cb750 Café Build

swellguy

Wear out, don't rust out.
Hi everyone,

I posted an introduction last night:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=23579.msg251087#msg251087

Someone from sohc forums who is familiar with my build suggested I post some of it here, so the next number of posts I'll be making will give you a history of the work which I started in September 2010. I'll just include some of the major moments, challenges and progress updates. I'll try to delete some references from within those posts that might have been responses to sohc board questions.

Re: New Member's 73 cb750 Café Build

I started this project with a stock 73 cb750:

brownie.jpg

Most of the design relies on Benji's body parts, including fork covers, headlight bracket, round tailsection and Trixie exhaust:

Side view:

IMG_0086.jpg

Fork covers/headlight bracket:

IMG_0083.jpg

I've upgraded to 29mm Keihin carbs, Dyna electronic ignition and some Dunlop K-70s. I'm using a Cycle X top tree with xs650 gauges in a relocated ignition cluster with clip on handlebars:

IMG_0076.jpg

Now that the rear end is back on the bike, I'll be installing the Trixie 4 into 4 exhaust:

4-4.jpg

Simple flush mount taillight in the rear seat cowl (3/4 view):

IMG_0079.jpg

Micro LEDs for signals, flush mounted to headlight bucket and rear frame:

P1020018.jpg

Paint will be dark gray candy over small silver flake with darker/black shading into knee cutouts and the bottom of the seat and tank which will have these emblems:

P85_230.jpg

Still working on a cable activated remote master cylinder for front brake. Still debating between stock switches or simpler custom aftermarket ones.

I'll post further photos as things progress.

Quick photo, sorry for the quality:

IMG_1000001233.jpg

Fitting the Trixie exhaust, not as simple as it looks.

More progress . . .

the simple:
I had planned to use a flush mount tail light as I'd shown in some previous photos but found with the reduced cowl length, my options were a bit limited. Plus I was keen to get something that mounted cleanly on the convex surface of the tail section. I had a pair of repop Willys taillights and chose to one:

DSC_0168.jpg

The rubber backing does a nice job of sitting flush with the surface and the lens design reminds me of some of the expensive Ruby helmets:

DSC_0169.jpg

the difficult:
The exhaust has been a #$%*. Pipes were mislabeled so there was a bunch of fiddling to figure which header went with which muffler. I have a 73 but the pipes were designed to fit 78 and later exhaust manifolds:

IMG_1.jpg

After finding later style exhaust flanges at a salvage yard and cleaning them up, I managed to get the right side pipes to fit ok but spent two days screwing around trying to get pipe #4 to fit since it wasn't clearing the kickstand.

Found out the kickstand on the frame the builder used:

yours.jpg

was different than where mine was located:

mine.jpg

To his credit, Benji kept asking for a ton of photos to try and figure out why it wouldn't clear, asked for a bunch of measurements I've already given him and offered to fix the problem in his NJ plant. From where I stood, we were looking at a whole new exhaust since everything was symmetrical and everything else already fit:

KerrySwartz002.jpg

I knew I was going to lose a center stand but the only real solution, given I'm months behind on this build, was to lose my kickstand. I cut it off and everything fits just nicely now:

DSC_0172.jpg

Now I'll just get new $100 weld on kickstand.

I hesitate to post these since the shots are pretty lousy. Bike really needs to be rolled outside for some proper images but I yet to get get my kickstand welded back on. I've got Friday morning set aside to do it. Anyways, got the paintwork back today. No bodywork horrors as mentioned in previous threads. Told the painter what I wanted and am pretty happy with it.

P1020295.jpg

IMG_1000001453.jpg

IMG_1000001458.jpg

IMG_1000001459.jpg

So far no striping between the black and silver. Gold, white and red seem to be the most popular choices for this kind of color scheme. If I go there, I'm leaning toward another shade of gray.

Some progress. You might recall I cut the factory kickstand off because it interfered with the exhaust system (frame mockup F vs K frame). Got the new one on today.

Up:
P1020303-1.jpg

Going down:
P1020302.jpg

Down:
P1020301.jpg

Very happy with the look and how it matches the line of pipe #4.

Also installed the cable actuated remote master cylinder for front brake:
P1020304.jpg

Never liked bar end mirrors that much. Always wound up getting a view of my elbows, so I adapted some hotrod peekaboo mirrors:

IMG_1000001596.jpg

Yes, doing lots of little things while trying to avoid the headlight bucket wiring matter. But it's back from paint so I'm headed there now.

I really wanted to use an internal throttle on my current build. Several of my Harley's have them and I really like the hidden single cable route. I'm pretty familiar with most units but they all seem to be made for 1" bars. Scouring this and other boards really doesn't turn up much information about units made for 7/8" bars. I did find one made by Posh in Japan and is carried by Matt Hotch in the US but we're looking at almost $400 when it arrived at my door, so I kept searching.

The name that kept popping up was one by Xoprodox and they offered ones for both 1" and 7/8" bars. Unfortunately the company has now closed but I contacted them about remaining inventory and was told they had one in stock for 7/8" bars for just over $200 so I bought it.

I can tell you that this is one of those areas where money spent is well spent. There are 1" units that you can get for under $100 but they have crappy roller bearings, stick wide open, require funny fabrication to install and generally break down or jam after a short period of use. The Xoporodox (actually Streamline Design) throttle was interesting because it had a very strong built-in return spring, sat far up in the bar and didn't require welding. Instead it used a pair of friction clips to grip within the bar so removal at a later date would be a breeze.

My handlebars are actually 7/8" Vortex clip-ons: The throttle arrives:

IMG_1000001530.jpg

The first thing I notice is that there is no way this is going to slide into the thick wall aluminum tubes of the clip-ons:

IMG_1000001531.jpg

I also compare the unit with a set of stock 7/8 Honda bars and can see it won't fit into those either:

IMG_1000001533.jpg

Then I compare/fit to it a set of 1" Harley bars and it's clear I have a 1" throttle unit, not one designed for 7/8" bars:

IMG_1000001534.jpg

Phone calls and emails confirm what I already know but trying to deal with a closed company won't solve my problem, especially since it seems Streamline Design actually doesn't make a 7/8" internal throttle. The 1" was simply marketed as being able to fit certain 7/8" applications.

To problem solve, I measure the outside diameter of the piece that slides into the bar, then head off to my local metal supermarket. Miraculously, I find some 7/8" stainless thin wall tubing with an id of 0.03" larger than the throttle sleeve. I buy a couple of feet ($16) and cut them to match the clip-on bar length:

IMG_1000001535.jpg

Installation first calls for cutting 4.75" off the bar you want to install it on:

IMG_1000001536.jpg

And it slides right in to match the length of the left hand bar:

IMG_1000001537-1.jpg

Something I also noticed was that the diameter of the out sleeve was 1" which is the same outer diamater as a standard 7/8" EMGO throttle sleeve (1"):

IMG_1000001538.jpg

So now I know I can get a standard set of 7/8" grips and each one will fit my bars, the left grip over the bare metal and the right which would normally slip over a 1" throttle sleeve. Here's the setup:

IMG_1000001544.jpg

Pretty stoked. I know there has been lots of discussion about using two vs on cable on a four carb setup but I'm very confident that the single cable and the heavy return spring on the Keihin 29s I have will work just fine. Just in case, though, there is a kill switch just beside the throttle.

Happiness is:

photo2945.jpg

A new set of Dunlop K180s.

With new alloy Excell rims, polished stainless spokes and silver powdercoated hubs. Guess I went all the way with this one.

It's been a long day. Wheels built. Silver powdercoated hubs with new sealed bearings, polished stainless spokes, Excel unpolished alloy shouldered rims, Dunlop K180 tires:

IMG_1000000397.jpg

IMG_1000000398.jpg

Believe my bike is going back on the lift soon. Probably tomorrow (Monday 3/14/11)

STOP!! YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG!!!

Nah, just kidding.....looks great ;D

Top notch stuff man. Its cool to see bikes get built with high end bits and pieces here every so often. Most of us cant really swing the big money stuff, so its fun to see what can be done by those who can. Keep it up, Im lloking forward to see it finished! Oh, and the internal throttle is great. One of the machinist/fab guys here need to make a 7/8 setup. Id run one on my chop in a heartbeat.

Its looking incredible so far. Its nice to see a build done by a pro instead of my hack job.

surffly said:
clean build

you have any info on that side stand?
Thanks. I found the side stand on eBay. I'll look and PM you a link if I can find it.

swellguy said:
Thanks. I found the side stand on eBay. I'll look and PM you a link if I can find it.

that would be great
thanks

swellguy said:
Paint will be dark gray candy over small silver flake with darker/black shading into knee cutouts and the bottom of the seat and tank which will have these emblems:

P85_230.jpg

Still working on a cable activated remote master cylinder for front brake. Still debating between stock switches or simpler custom aftermarket ones.

I'll post further photos as things progress.

Where did you get those emblems?? Sweet build!!

Back
Top Bottom