Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Shaping up really nicely man! I am torn with the muffler. One thing for sure will be an issue is ground clearance, as doc already mentioned, but if it swept up slightly this would eliminate than. Then the other thing is the style. You are blending (very well might I add) old with new, so it just depends how much of each you want to through in the mix. This can looks unmistakably modern - suits the engine and front end well. However the frame, seat and tank lone themselves more to the classic style and a reverse mega would look best here... Perhaps one of those nice SS ones from Purpose Build Moto or Cone Engineering or even an M4 reverse mega 8)

I agree with everyone's comments about the muffler. I only intended to use the stock muffler to get the bike to the next stage, which is a runner. I see it going like this,
  • Install radiator, fan, hoses, etc.
  • Install exhaust and bracket
  • Hook up fuel pump to remote tank
  • Hook up harness
  • RUNNER
  • Prove the harness, verify function of all switches, lights, etc.
  • Cut and shut the harness to make it fit to the frame
  • ...on to the rest.

To that end, I want to use the exhaust just to get to the Runner stage, and replace it before road trials. I was thinking like the below.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 573
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 236
Just read the whole thread. Personally, I wasn't quite into it until the photo where you roll it outside for the first time.

;D It's brilliant. ;D I'm floored with how well you've mated the old with the new.

I'll be keeping an eye on this for certain. Great work so far! 8)

So it's been over 30 days since I posted last, but I have been working. A lot of the stuff I have been doing hasn't resulted in good post material, so I saved up some. This weekend I completed the radiator mounting, which is a big step on the way to making it run.
Below is the top radiator mount, assembled but unwelded. I think there are some pictures of this from earlier in the thread when I first made it.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 220
Here the mount is welded together, and then welded to the frame. In the second pic it looks crooked, but it's within 0.15 degree of the frame reference.
May as well discuss some problems I'm having with welding. Sometimes I weld and it comes out okay, just looks like it was welded by someone who needs more control and practice, fair enough. And then sometimes I'll be in a weld and it will start to sputter, and then the weld will become kind of foamy, with air bubbles and pockets. When this happens, no amount of going over it will fix it. In fact, usually what I will do it grind it out, clean the electrode, start a new filler rod, sand the weld area, clean with brake clean, and clean the ground, and reweld. Usually it will still foam up! Once it starts I can't stop it. But same conditions, like the radiator top mount, the right side went great, the left side sucked. It took a lot of work to correct. I am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 215
Radiator mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 223
Rolled it outside for some better pictures. Here the radiator hoses are in place. I got some straight 25mm ID hose for the bottom, and a 90 degree bend for the top.
Seeing the pictures like this make me feel like the swingarm should be shorter.

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 238
Here is other side in the sun, showing the radiator hoses. Also some other bits that I didn't post about, like the chain, injector, throttle cables, etc. The chain guards (front and rear) are just propped on for the moment, as indication.
The centre stand was interfering with the chain so that got modified, will show that later.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 218
Next; finish up and fill with coolant, mount the temporary exhaust, fill with oil, install clutch slave and master, buy a remote fuel tank, install the harness, and try to make it run!

The position of the rear guard may be what makes the swing arm appear long. What is the wheelbase now?
Bike does look awesome regardless of the swing arm length though.

Hi Pete,
Cheers for you kind words! I haven't measured the wheelbase with a tape measure, but the program I made to calculate the rake and trail puts it at 1501mm, which is around 96mm longer than a CB550. The swingarm is about 160mm longer than the CB550, but the swingarm pivot is moved forward in the frame. Also the seat was calculated to be 15mm higher than a CB550, and indeed I can just get both my feet flat on the pavement.
Agreed, if it weren't for the rear guard it wouldn't look abnormal at all, really. I bought that rear fender on Amazon for like 18 quid, it is garbage. I think it is a Chinese copy of a GN125 fender, or CG125 something like that. I was thinking about polished aluminium, but I want to keep the grab rail, which is chrome, so thought they would match better. Maybe I should modify it shorter and rotate it up some.

That length equates to just over 59", which is a very long wheelbase, normal is 54-55". If it was me I would probably shorten the swing arm, but that might be a difficult option. Modifying the rear guard would be an easier option, if you modify it so it fits the wheel curve that would look much better.

I was about to say the same thing as Pete12 - could be that the radius of the rear fender is throwing of the visual line a little. Also, if the rear dropped a few inches that may make a visual difference too (are those shocks height adjustable)?

It's really remarkable what you're doing here, kudos man on an incredible bike and the vision to make it happen. Really inspiring.

I do think that changing the fender angle helps, see below. Also I have sourced a Lucas style tail lamp that seems to work ok with that flatter angle. I did find a turn signal that I like, but unfortunately it is so cheaply made that I don't think it is useable. But I do like the shape and size. You can also see that I've sourced a battery as well, getting ready for actually testing the harness.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4054.jpg
    IMG_4054.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 222
I got the cheapest kitchen cabinets from Wickes and put them up today. £210 all in. They are garbage, but will be perfect for garage duty. I didn't bother too much about getting all the doors aligned etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4042.jpg
    IMG_4042.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
Shop buddy is dying. I took it inside so my wife can nurse it back to health.
I will do more work on the bike in the coming weeks, but this weekend probably not. I did order a stainless steel front fender that I will show when it arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
goodoltup said:
I do think that changing the fender angle helps, see below. Also I have sourced a Lucas style tail lamp that seems to work ok with that flatter angle. I did find a turn signal that I like, but unfortunately it is so cheaply made that I don't think it is useable. But I do like the shape and size. You can also see that I've sourced a battery as well, getting ready for actually testing the harness.

those look very simular to the turn signals I have on my Kawasaki's, except the ones I have are well constructed. I have used them on many bikes.
about halfway down the page.
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/lights.htm

Back
Top Bottom