Seeley 519 CB750

Slowly chugging along. This week the Seeley will be swapped out of the garage for my 850 Norton Commando.
Plan is to do a quick service and get that ready for the spring. Once I have that sorted (a daily ride) I will get back to the Seeley.
While I have more storage then I need, I am still limited in the space I have at my buddy's garage to work on stuff.
Such is life.

Well I am shocked that more didn't give me grief for not having a front fender.....
I know that it is the norm to ditch the front ender for that full Hipster look. But what many don't understand is that the fender acts as a brace for the front end on these old Hondas. Sure it isn't a super stiff one, but it does make a difference. I will probably run a fiberglass fender, but I still wanted something to stiffen up the front end.

A forum member had just what I needed. Did some horse trading and now I have a brace!
3FA5CF61-DDC9-48E6-BBBB-196709693924_zps8a7kekh9.jpg

Nice sturdy 5 piece brace. I assume it is a "modern" knock off of a Markland. I tried to order a Telifix, but after weeks or waiting I was told I couldn't have one. Kinda lame, but is what it is.
For some reason many people make a brace for a GL1100, but few make them for the GL1000. Unsure why. Might have something to do with fender clearance.
Either way, this one fits perfectly.
B9D1A61D-4529-498A-8EB9-2F46FE9DA273_zps5nfsgipm.jpg

As an added bonus I scored some air caps for the GL forks from the same forum member!
Should add just a little period flare to the front end. Maybe down the road I will run some fancy preloaders, but for now, these are bad ass.
4D357D0A-D44D-40C7-8DFF-08FDE75FA86D_zpsgwflxch3.jpg

I am running OEM seals so I cant run that much pressure. Will read up on all of the pros and cons as well as how to set these up. If anyone has any tips, I am all ears.
3F20E60B-DAC6-470C-AD38-B5903C6CE726_zpsyoxiskj0.jpg

69E821DF-DDA5-4470-AEF8-C14E7310F4E2_zpsxjaq8wio.jpg

Since I have had ZERO luck finding a used Kerker I am still debating what to run for an exhaust. I have a MotoGPWerks SS Yoshi but was saving that for a different bike. Also saw the Hindle SS. After I get an exhaust the next thing to do is sort the axle adjustors.......then the bike can be moved under it's own power for the first time in YEARS. Actually very excited about that.

NEVER pressurize forks (or shocks) with a compressor!!!

Use a hand pump to pressurize them; and get the "feel" for disconnecting the hose without losing pressure.

grandpaul said:
NEVER pressurize forks (or shocks) with a compressor!!!

Use a hand pump to pressurize them; and get the "feel" for disconnecting the hose without losing pressure.

Words to live by... the dang things have no volume and low pressure... you ain't fast nuff :eek:

Curious about why delete the front fender. No criticism for running the fork brace instead, but all the Seeleys ran front fenders.

Since I have had ZERO luck finding a used Kerker I am still debating what to run for an exhaust. I have a MotoGPWerks SS Yoshi but was saving that for a different bike. Also saw the Hindle SS.

Build one... The 05 ZX10 pipe fits nice with minimal mods to the two outboard header tubes... the toughest part was getting the butterfly coin out, most slipons will fit up also, i found a Acropovic chunk from some overstock on a reace team for dirt cheap... full Ti exhaust for like $300 maybe. I have the Ti tube to make spigot extensions on hand.

on the air assist forks its ok to use a compressor just turn down the regulater.its not like yer gonna blow the seals out with 100 psi anyway ..you mite blow them out with 300 that said you are better off with one of those low volume high pressure hand pumps like used on harley airshocks and mountain bike shocks
back in the day we yankled out the springs,raced mx with nothing but air and i used the compressor every single time i didnt even have a hand pump
from memory on my xl250 it was about 35lbs but nobody told me about adjusting the oil level to change the comp ratio and i never went any further with it .after a trying it in some practice sessions and a race or 2
the higher pressure requiored with no springs at all,tends to make the seals grab pretty goddam tite on the stanchion making the ride not so good on ripple bumps anyway
a few lbs air assist can work just fine though and that comp ratio is the thing to play with
get a baseline oil level,springs out forks fully bottomed out
do this with say the recommended oil fill volume,once done you can use the measurement of the air gap to do some adjustement raise up the level and the air spring is gonna be more progressive
just remember you cant go too far with raising the oil level as then you could possibly blow a seal because its more or less hydraulic locking
you can calculate how much pounds of lift each fork leg is giving with a given trapped pressure
your forks are 37mm which is about 1.75 square in,so 8psi static wheel off the ground is exerting 14lbs of lift per leg at the git go 28lbs total

deviant said:
Curious about why delete the front fender. No criticism for running the fork brace instead, but all the Seeleys ran front fenders.
Like I said, I probably will run a fiberglass fender. Havent looked at any yet. Have a CR750 one now that I should test fit.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Build one... The 05 ZX10 pipe fits nice with minimal mods to the two outboard header tubes... the toughest part was getting the butterfly coin out, most slipons will fit up also, i found a Acropovic chunk from some overstock on a reace team for dirt cheap... full Ti exhaust for like $300 maybe. I have the Ti tube to make spigot extensions on hand.

I might do something like that, but would rather have something "period"

I guess I missed that fender comment. If you want to do it right, you should go with Dunstall Megaphones over the Kerkers. Dunstall supplied Colin Seeley directly.

Where did you hear that about Dunstall and Seeley?
I have seen some Seeley branded pipes.

At the end of the day there is little that is "correct" for a Seeley.
They were built, raced and all that jazz. Defiantly not a factory type thing.

I read it in the Colin Seeley biography. They weren't necessarily factory rigs. Dunstall would bring multiple setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have been following along some of my other posts then this update is redundant.

Figured for the sake of a continuous "build thread" I would make a post here about my rebuild of an ARD magneto.

Work has been a steady, albeit slow, pace for a while now on the Seeley. Some other bikes will get attention over the winter, but the Seeley will still get some love.

I had two ARDs that needed a rebuild. These are relatively simple tractor magnetos. Parts are easy to get and don't really cost all that much. The plan is to run one on the Seeley to round out the "racey" look. I also just think that magneto ignitions on the street are freaking cool.

As with any good rebuild, everything was taken apart and cleaned. Nothing major was missing or broken.
77A769D8-CD35-4EB3-841C-0FFFD5AD8436_zps9mxf1ggg.jpg

The lower drive plate uses and off the shelf bearing.
I actually got the one with rubber seals on both sides (not the one pictured). These simply press in/out.
076275e69ad7d7809953f06b337807ad_zps6shpep54.jpg

Magneto made spark and was in okay shape to begin with.
4c7fb68d34607601bf66e12073436141_zps6abapqqi.jpg

New parts waiting for install.
e92feb484b1bf065ce4cde5ee4d40109_zpsjw1xutga.jpg

Ordered some drive belts.
84a71e5c460b69e75e9c829572212586_zps14srx7yi.jpg

Had to replace the missing grounding post.
01490F0E-0F90-461E-8771-2A389673A718_zpsiehr2z1o.jpg

New bearing and seals for the base of the magneto.
D06F50B3-082C-4B11-8FE6-CB49C3C3A556_zps1jr4sxyd.jpg

Almost done.
75C70C37-F1F3-46C9-9F8E-A20A63F30EC2_zpsolqsfjsb.jpg

Bought a set of cloth covered wires. Will need to cut to length and crimp the ends on.
A39720AC-9776-4C3D-9C22-64C70084BE71_zpstz5hbzcj.jpg

Need to wrap up a few small pieces before I install it on the bike.

As some of you have noticed the Seeley has not gotten a huge amount of time lately.
This is kind of untrue as some small things that needed to get done ARE still getting worked on and as things get crossed off the list, posts will be made.
Also the Norton Commando 850 has been pushed to the front of the line (the Seeley is actually in my storage garage now, not my working garage) but rest assured, the project is NOT dead.

I only have room in the garage I work on for one bike at a time. I decided that the Norton Commando 850 would be my daily mount next year. Just didnt think the Seeley was going to be well suited for daily use and out door living.
Although after typing that I can only imagine how ass backwards that must sound.....Some moron on the web is going to use a Britt bike instead of a relatively stock Honda.....

Fact of the matter is that both bikes will be on the road next year, but used differently. The Seeley is at a point that I dont need the whole bike to do the needed jobs, where I do need the whole Norton to get it done.

Now I am babbling again and generally trying to hard to justify bad choices...

But enough of that, you guys are here for an update, even a tiny one.
One of the last pieces that I needed to add to the bike was an exhaust. Some of you know that I am massively cheap. Almost spitefully so. Sure I could have spent $600 on a new SS exhaust, or $350 for a used Kerker, or maybe made a silly offer on the one of two hand bent Yoshimura exhausts I found.....but I waited to snag something cheap. Hell I could use my MotoGPWerks pipe that is hanging in my living room! (but that would ruin the "as found race bike look")
I have now bought an exhaust. It is still in transit, but figured I would post about it.

Was listed as a standard exhaust from a CB750.
After looking at it I assume that it is a yoshi replica that Carpy is making.
This was deduced because of the extra lame "ton up" badge. That thing will HAVE to go asap.

I really liked the idea of a 4-1 pipe for the performance, weight and sound.

This is a hand bent yoshi pipe. Note the beautiful curves and lines.
d796dab814b6e50f22cf480932b41a16_zpsxz76wbxj.jpg

dde2724de336fffeb2bc277874d107cc_zps74jycxa0.jpg

Unsure exactly what pipe this is. It looks more like the replica yoshi pipes being made now, but clearly is in period.
375f734b3ea79a6af55f253e98c72357_zpsbqqzpi3l.jpg

This is just nice to look at an really has no other reason to be in this post.
ef3a218350c570191440ce58564dc67b_zps3pcl10vh.jpg

I really think that this style of 4-1 will fit the Seeley very well.
My frame is missing the side stand so I will need to figure something out. Next time I am next to the bike I will measure the lower tube and try and look for a clamp on side stand. Anyone have any ideas?
From my understanding none of these will work with a center stand (only thing I have right now)

These are the pictures of from the eBay listing.
517619e32dffb106bdd4ef61a1e86b5a_zpskg8edmtp.jpg

cc6ab378eb4c08894ea51e7f292f6ba3_zpsxfrgofpa.jpg

2ff32293032cd76b47c2d1ad3567f3cc_zpsyzyfjodl.jpg

7bbcdaf45754ce9d2d5b9eefc4bf79ea_zps4m6fjkzh.jpg

ce1a3c7835c0a4aba8152c7e859968a9_zpsqk7rfop1.jpg

0b77ff9af1d3f66b00f67f1bf08a9071_zpswx9ycarz.jpg

0402ca01ccb3f67cd97d2bc8b581a2ab_zpsvkcun85g.jpg

3ec8a0b54ff775fd1fb9bc4731b85b5a_zpsvadyyuqk.jpg

85EBE3BE-D18C-442F-93DC-0360FF04008F_zpsep4csqfi.png

Clearly it is not mint, but I really think that it will clean up well.
Curious what material this will turn out to be. Obviously I have my fingers crossed that it ends up being a stainless steel version, but I am not holding my breath.

I do wonder why someone would leave the bike uncoated if it does turn out to be raw mild steel.
Well aware of the fitting issues and general quality of most of Carpy's stuff, but I know that I can deal with most things.
Really the punch line of this whole story is that the exhaust came to $115 shipped to me. I figure it fell into the "to cheap not to buy" category.
Funny story, this was a Black Friday deal for me in much the same way I bought the Lesters cheap last year.
And now I am slightly depressed that I am looking back at still buying parts for a project a year latter when I thought it would be done in 9 months....
Sure that will end up being the butt of some joke, but I have thick skin and high spirits.

Hope that the exhaust is in early next week. Will test fit it right away and hopefully take a video of the sound.
To me they sound like 70s F1 cars!

Only a few more small things to be done before I can finally take this bike around the block!

For now I will go back to doing some small jobs while watching Netflix and waiting for some Norton parts to get here....that should have been here yesterday......

Those sure look to be STAINS to me.

Still, nicer than anything I've ever welded up.

its steel for sure looks nothing like ss especially rusting you got great deal on it and the pitting from the rust wont be bad

But we put factory Yosh badging on it haha

Oh and it flows and sounds sweet, a little loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always loved the look of the single-diameter Yoshi pipes. Since Wes Cooley days.

Back
Top Bottom