Re: 1970 Rupp Roadster - How long has this been going on?

Re: 1970 Rupp Roadster - Take This Off My Hands

HURCO550 said:

Well I was officially informed this morning that Mrs Ridesolo has lost interest in this little project and she wants me to sell it. So, I'm going to group things together and get some pix and put it on CL but if anybody here has interest hit me up and I'll fire off pictures. It's all there, the engine and carb are freshly rebuilt. The frame is sand blasted and primed. The tank is fairly well cleaned and since the '70 had an uncommon silver-colored tank, I'll prime and spray it the same color as the engine shroud. The '70 model of Roadster had silver tank and engine shrouds, chrome fenders, and colored frame. I'll leave the frame color up to the buyer.

Re: 1970 Rupp Roadster - Take This Off My Hands

ridesolo said:
Well I was officially informed this morning that Mrs Ridesolo has lost interest in this little project and she wants me to sell it. So, I'm going to group things together and get some pix and put it on CL but if anybody here has interest hit me up and I'll fire off pictures. It's all there, the engine and carb are freshly rebuilt. The frame is sand blasted and primed. The tank is fairly well cleaned and since the '70 had an uncommon silver-colored tank, I'll prime and spray it the same color as the engine shroud. The '70 model of Roadster had silver tank and engine shrouds, chrome fenders, and colored frame. I'll leave the frame color up to the buyer.

Booo... finish it... you are so close...

Well, how about that! I actually started working on the thing today and made some progress. Levi has been nagging me to get it back together so it can be sold at Mid-O and he's 100% right, time for it to go! I need the room and undivided attention to get the CL378 w/ Ninja 500 forks and swinger back together and on the road. Got the trailer to our satisfaction (See: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71319.0) and now that we're back from Mississippi it's in storage instead of sitting in the driveway and I'll be able to focus on OTHER things that need to get done!

Today the first order of business was to get the dust, wood shavings, and cobwebs cleaned off and squirt on a quick rattle can paint job. The '70 Rupp Roadster was an odd ball because it was the only one w/ 10" spoke wheels instead of 12", the frames were the main paint color, and the gas tanks were silver. Also on the '70 both fenders were chrome and on the later models the front only was chrome and the rear fender was painted. I don't really care about the color so I picked out bright red to make it eye-catching to sell it.

1232-090519164741.jpeg

1232-090519171521.jpeg

1232-090519172004.jpeg

1232-090519171720.jpeg

More progress today. Added new bearings, the front fender, and front wheel to the forks and then installed all of that on the frame. !/2 roller!!! Got the center stand and the foot pegs on. I had been looking at some new foot peg rubbers on eBay but when I looked through the boxes of parts I discovered I had bought a new set a couple years ago; really glad I didn't buy a second set! I disassembled the torque converter and cleaned all the parts and then reinstalled them and the jack shaft with new bearings. Installed the swing arm and shocks as well as the rear fender. Tomorrow I'll get the rear wheel and chain on so it's a true roller then I'll throw in the rebuilt engine, the handlebars, and the seat.

1232-100519173614.jpeg

So glad this is coming back together

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trek97 said:
Almost as good lookin' as you are, my man!!!

Thanx, I think... looking almost as good as me isn't saying much! It's not a resto but w/ new wheels, tires, & wheel bearings, new steering bearings, new jack shaft bearings, new connecting rod, new gaskets/seals, rebuilt shocks, and rebuilt carb it should be pretty good. I still need to get new brake and throttle cables and a new gas cap is on the way. Couldn't find the correct rear fender and the original ain't pretty but it'll have to do. I can get really nice copies of original stickers for it, but I don't think I want to put the money into that since it'll be sold. The new owner can spend that $$ if they want to. I'm hoping it'll sell as a pit/swap meet bike, it'll be great for that. It might be too bad to see an old, classic Rupp being beat up by kids out in the woods, but the new owner is welcome to do what ever they want with it.

A bit more today. Full roller! What a deal; the wheels I got didn't need new spacers made to fit correctly. I did have to replace the bearings to fit the axles but otherwise things couldn't have been better. Tomorrow I'll be able to add fuel lines, gas, and oil and maybe the thing will pop off with a couple of pulls!

Cute little devil, huh?

1232-110519204404.jpeg

trek97 said:
WOW! Dude that is awesome. 8)

Thanx, man. It's a "five footer" for sure, but not too bad for a 49 year old that's led a rough life. I hope somebody at Mid-O decides to give it a good home.

Another afternoon of work. Wish I could say it's done but it's at least close. I've still got the throttle and hand grips, clean up the wiring, and buy and install throttle and brake cables. Does it run? Alas, no. :( I got everything buttoned up and pulled several times then discovered that the gas was just running out of the air cleaner. Of course there's no shut-off valve... I probably put the diaphragm in upside down or something along that line when I reassembled the carb. I never claimed o be much of a small engine mechanic. Oh well, it'll come.

1232-120519170028.jpeg

1232-120519170215.jpeg

1232-120519170341.jpeg

Re: 1970 Rupp Roadster - Calling it DONE.

Ha, I was right for once! The diaphragm was upside down. The carb is no longer puking (bleeding?) gas all over. Still won't start, but that'll come.

As of now it's done. The original throttle and brake cables work ok and the new gas cap is in to it'll be running in time for Mid-O and ready to go into service as somebody's pit bike. It took way too long, but there it is.

1232-140519181349.jpeg

1232-140519181515.jpeg

1232-140519181702.jpeg

My first motorized bike love. I sold one a couple years ago and regret it now, they're fun if you are 12 or 60. Great job.
You can buy the Roadster decal kit from Black Widow Motorsports.
http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/_45006_70_roadster_decal_set.html

Sam_I_Am said:
Nice work! Very clean and simple, a classic.

Brent said:
My first motorized bike love. I sold one a couple years ago and regret it now, they're fun if you are 12 or 60. Great job.
You can buy the Roadster decal kit from Black Widow Motorsports.
http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/_45006_70_roadster_decal_set.html

Thank you, guys. It's a fun little bike. When I was a teen these were the mini bikes that we all envied. Here in north central Ohio they are very popular because they were made right down the road in Mansfield and there are lots of people around who worked there or knew someone who did. I've been considering the re pop sticker sets It I were going to keep it it'd get them for sure.

Back
Top Bottom