saving a 1980 KZ750 twin

semmins said:
Just a thought, regarding paint....

great minds think alike! I was considering something like that, or a burgundy, or "jeep rescue green" I'm going to do some photoshop mock-ups for paint

Doc, that bike is fookin' sweet! She's a looker now. Something most wouldn't honestly say about the heavy kaw.

Excellent work for sure!!

Hopped on the lathe tonight and got the longer turn signal stems finished for the headlight. I also added a washer.

what to do about the paint... this is one thing I am having a hard time settling on. I would like to try and incorporate some white in it somewhere to tie in the grip rings and shocks. Right now I'm leaning more towards the large white stripe on the bottom because I am planning on doing pinstripes on my 1000 and want them to be a little more different. i think most of these colors would look good with the white stripe. thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 277
  • first4.jpg
    first4.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 267
  • second4.jpg
    second4.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 267
I'm no painter, so forgive the paint and how ugly mine is compared to yours, but here's mine :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 268
C or D, any with the white stripe on the bottom. Tune may be onto something with the blue though... ::)

Tough choice. Probably E, perhaps with light green, and gold pinstripes, or then again.....

Attachments

• Kawasaki-Z-1000-.jpg
    Kawasaki-Z-1000-.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 934
C for my first, then G.
and Im sorry bro but you need to double check the direction arrow on that front tire mount.

trek97 said:
C for my first, then G.
and Im sorry bro but you need to double check the direction arrow on that front tire mount.
damn, you can see the mounting arrow? its on there correctly tho.

well its looking like C is the winner here. I'm gonna wait on it a week or two and ponder it some more before I buy paint. I'm also thinking about the rescue green with the stripe treatment to be a bit different. My last KZ650 was "luminous blue" so I'd like to change it up a bit.

Attachments

• green final.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 308
  • blue.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 269
doc_rot said:
damn, you can see the mounting arrow? its on there correctly tho.
He's going by the tread direction on the Roadrider tire, which is reversed for the front compared to the back. They're a tire made to mount front or back, so the arrow printed on the side is a dual arrow and says front at one side and rear at the other. Your front is mounted the same way as your rear in the pic.

Right - need to be sure the rotation is correct for front or back. Most directional tires are different front or rear because of the internal construction. Usually the tread pattern is not the reason. It's important because the rear wheel gets all its loading when pushing the bike forward due to engine power. The laminates inside the tire overlap at the ends and the manufacturer wants the load to not try to separate the laminates. Think of it like a roll of masking tape. Run your fingernail against the end of the tape going in the direction of how its wound and nothing happens. Go against the winding direction and you will try to peel the tape back. When you brake, the effect is reversed so the tire needs to go the other way round. On the front, the big loads are only when braking. On the rear, the braking load, while wrong for the tire construction, is pretty small compared to what the front sees or compared to the drive from the engine so you pick the lesser of evils and orient it accordingly.

feck, dont how i missed that one. good lookin out, add that to the list of crap to do.

I dont know why I have it in my head. But the different makes have "theme" colors.
To me, Kawi = green, Yama = blue, Honda =red, Suzuki = yellow.
Its funny cause Im pretty darned color blind anyways. ;)

But I can see the green you chose for PS mockup aint blue or yellow. and I prefer that.

Especially a red Suzuki or Yellow Yamaha just makes me cringe inside. Especially on factory bikes.

I painted my little CL Cub Cadet beige...it looks nice but even still it has yet to grow on me. ::)

Bottom line...I like any Green you choose for your machine.

trek97 said:
I dont know why I have it in my head. But the different makes have "theme" colors.
To me, Kawi = green, Yama = blue, Honda =red, Suzuki = yellow.
Its funny cause Im pretty darned color blind anyways. ;)

But I can see the green you chose for PS mockup aint blue or yellow. and I prefer that.

Especially a red Suzuki or Yellow Yamaha just makes me cringe inside. Especially on factory bikes.

I painted my little CL Cub Cadet beige...it looks nice but even still it has yet to grow on me. ::)

Bottom line...I like any Green you choose for your machine.

I have similar sentiments, which is why I am leaning towards the green.

The timing of noticing the tire was backwards couldnt have been better because I needed to change the rear tire on my falco so I went to Moto guild in San Jose and for $15 I got to use their tire changer for an hour. Thanks for protecting myself from myself guys

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 244
Back
Top Bottom