trackin xv750

man much love from you guys, i really appreciate it. sepp is a boss, those exhausts are unreal, i will probably mimick the two into one setup and then do my own thing for the mufflers. thanks john, yeah ive seen that site before, seems like the ideal way to go about it from scratch. bert i have the stock exhaust but its in pretty rough shape cause they bike was in an accident, so some of the piping has some dents in it.

Loekm is right, pretty much hell getting the front and rear pipes the same length on these V-twins.
I used the front pipe from a Mac header, tucked it up 'til it hit the engine case 'cause it ground on the ground, used just the head pipe from the Mac on the rear cylinder and bought 90 bucks of mandrel-bent 1-3/4" bends and started measuring, cutting and welding.
I think I've got the pipes within 1/2 inch of each other as regards length - they're both 36" long (plus the megs) which is, I think, a good starting point for these motors. I should have included a balance tube but it was a little beyond my fab skills. I have a high pipe on the left and a low pipe on the right; some people think it looks weird but I just love it
If you're using mandrel-bent tubing, a cheap and cheerful way of checking whether or not your 2 pipes are the same length is to fill one with water, dump the water in a jug and fill the other pipe
(you of course have taken the pipes off the bike and plugged one end). You'd be surprised how well it works...
The XV's are great bikes.
Pat

yeah definitely a lot of thought to go into this one for sure.. will be my first exhaust so i picked a pretty challenging bike to do it on it looks like. yeah the stock exhaust rear cylinder pipe had snapped off where it runs down to the muffler, so i dont have much to work with when it comes to the stock exhaust.. we'll see, i like that website where i can buy some pre bent stainless tubing

loekm said:
Hi guys,

Exhaust is always a thing.... and for a V-twin it's even harder. Problem with the original exhaust is that it has 2 different diameters of tube front and back to get "same volume" of front an back header to the point where the pipes join together.

So in my opinion the original pipes are useless for making your own exhaust if you don't want stock exhaust and still make it work. Sepp's pipes use same diameter/length tube for the two headers, and are very nice :)

I made a my own system (Tr1 engine) allong this way to from stainless bends and tube (2 headers of 40x1,5mm bends and tube into 1 end of 50x1,5mm bends and tube). And I can tell you it's been a hell of a job to reach same volume/length given the small room available in my frame.

Your exhaust drawing looks a lot like Sepp's exhaust so try and copy as much as possible I would say ;) it's a nice design. The routing has already been proven by Sepp, and if you can weld it yourself it's even better!

Good luck!

Best regards,

Loek

Loek,

Hate to throw this in - BUT ........... in the UK our TR1's / XV's have the same diameter pipes FRONT and back - the front pipe is double skinned [ so as to look more butch ?? ].

If you look closely you will see the smaller diameter pipe where it joins the rear section. I actually cut one through just to satisfy my curiosity. I will have my exhaust made with as large a diameter tube as possible - mainly for looks.

christmas2012014_zpsc2243095.jpg

christmas2012015_zps05abcd54.jpg

Hey Mr. Beachbomber,

No worries, if you say so, you must be right. I remembered the double wall exhaust at the front cylinder. But I thought it had a different diameter compared to the back. I can't check it anymore it was the first thing I threw at the pile of scrap when taking my Tr1 apart :) And that's some time ago.... In fact I don't know if I ever checked the diameters to be sure.

Whatever! Making a one-piece exhaust on these things is a lot of work. I watched a 4 into 1 system for a classic race bike being made this weekend and it looked somewhat easier....

I made my exhaust system out of 40 x 1,5mm stainless front to back in one piece:

2012-09-22_17-51-23_113.jpg

And I would never do it the same way again ;) Splitting it somewhere is a very good idea and makes it way easier to mount on the bike.... This is the material I have cheap and easy access to and it happens to be commonly used by others as well.

@MJPriceisright:
Just start your exhaust, don't hesitate.... it's worth it and very rewarding when finished ;D How cool it is when you can tell someone that you designed and built your own exhaust system :)

best regards,

Loek

loekm said:
Hey Mr. Beachbomber,

No worries, if you say so, you must be right. I remembered the double wall exhaust at the front cylinder. But I thought it had a different diameter compared to the back. I can't check it anymore it was the first thing I threw at the pile of scrap when taking my Tr1 apart :) And that's some time ago.... In fact I don't know if I ever checked the diameters to be sure.

Whatever! Making a one-piece exhaust on these things is a lot of work. I watched a 4 into 1 system for a classic race bike being made this weekend and it looked somewhat easier....

I made my exhaust system out of 40 x 1,5mm stainless front to back in one piece:

2012-09-22_17-51-23_113.jpg

And I would never do it the same way again ;) Splitting it somewhere is a very good idea and makes it way easier to mount on the bike.... This is the material I have cheap and easy access to and it happens to be commonly used by others as well.

@MJPriceisright:
Just start your exhaust, don't hesitate.... it's worth it and very rewarding when finished ;D How cool it is when you can tell someone that you designed and built your own exhaust system :)

best regards,

Loek

sweet exhaust Loek! What would you ask for the amount of material including some bends? I could tig it myself :)

Bert Jan said:
sweet exhaust Loek! What would you ask for the amount of material including some bends? I could tig it myself :)

i was literally going to ask the same question.. give me some figures if you can and lets see if you can hook bert and i up. thanks man, love these exhaust posts

This is the style I'm going for - similar to the Vincent.

There will be a slip joint about where the V of the engine is to make for easy installation. Probably hidden with a small perforated "heat shield".

Mock up with pipe lagging and welding rod !!!!

ex.jpg

Thats a hell of tail pipe there beachy. ;D

The shape looks good nicely tucked in and flows with the motor shape.

notlob said:
Thats a hell of tail pipe there beachy. ;D

The shape looks good nicely tucked in and flows with the motor shape.

Haaa,

yes the lagging just happened to be that length and we had to reinstall it on the water pipes we nicked it off after !

The exhaust will end about 4" after the last piece of tape on the lagging [ by footrest ] and I have a special Gold Star [ st. st. ] silencer that I had made last year to slip on the end.

The biggest problem is where the rear pipe exits the head and has to do a 180 degree bend. If push comes to shove, I'll put a notch in the "frame" at that point to give extra clearance.

SONAVON063_zpseb3e0c8a.jpg

@Bert Jan:
@MJpriceisright:

Sorry guys, nothing for sale here... (no material and no design).It won't fit a standard frame anyway and I can't deliver the pipe and bends any cheaper than you guys can buy it yourself.... so start your own exhaust I would suggest ;)

Best regards,

Loek

PS. there is a build thread here on DTT of the whole bike....

no worries man, small update, picked up my handlebars and clamps.. pro taper fat bars (carmichael bends) and some clamps, will need a little modification but should work just fine. will also be going black with these.. should have them next week sometime.

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeVy(BQgwW)tfGQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeVy(BQgwW)tfGQ~~60_57.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 220
also updating with tires, gonna run these dual sport duro's.. meatiest tire i could find for the rim size.. 130/90/16. got them through bike bandit, always love using those guys and the online live chat assistance, they have been great everytime ive purchased from them thus far.

Attachments

• bat bike.jpg
    bat bike.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 951
sucks this bike has 16" rims, not a lot of options for meaty tires, i would have gone more extreme but these are looking like the best option out there.

Not too late to hunt up some 18" rims for your swap.....not to rain on your parade.

i wanna run wide rims, 18" swaps are narrower wheels, from what ive been told anyways, and from watching some other xv builds. i do also like the looks of the smaller diameter wheels with big fat chunky tires on them. nope wont rain on this parade, maybe snow cause im in the midwest.

Handlebars and clamps came in today, was pretty excited to see Em. Going to need a couple of risers made so the bars clear the forks, but overall I like the look for sure. Tires will be here Tuesday so ill be breaking down the rims and getting them painted ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_2013022140352.jpg
    IMG_2013022140352.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2013022132784.jpg
    IMG_2013022132784.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20130221132.jpg
    IMG_20130221132.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 263
MJ - did I understand correctly that the YZF600 non-reservoir shock was a straight swap?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom