trackin xv750

well I did a days worth of work and got the whole bike up and wired together, hid lines, made it look good, only to hear it run on one cylinder. currently the bike has no spark on the rear cylinder. spent some time on the phone with Richard and checked coils, the alternator pickup, lines etc and everything checked out fine. I'm now leading towards a short in the tci box. everything we tried we failed to get spark back there. furthermore, I did some reading last night about the tci box circuit board, so I opened it up this morning and checked carefully over every joint and all looks good. so I'm guessing there is the possibility that something on the board has shorted out. anybody around here have an extra tci box? there is a guy locally who has one that I'm going to see if i can "borrow" it today to double check that's my problem.

I'm just going to update your shit for you and tell everyone that it was in fact the TCI that was bad.

Now finish playing with the fuel delivery so we can take these damn things out for a ride!

Rich Ard said:
I'm just going to update your shit for you and tell everyone that it was in fact the TCI that was bad.

Now finish playing with the fuel delivery so we can take these damn things out for a ride!

indeed, I went to the local parts guy who had another virago he was parting out.. although his was a 1981 and had a metal cased tci, with some movement of the wires, I got things lined up and the bike fired up and ran on two cylinders... however... when I was checking spark on the rear cylinder.. it shot gas so hard out of the spark plug hole it hit the wall (minor details rich). anyways, after I got the cylinder cleaned out, the bike fired and ran on two, which was good.. but it did run rough, especially on the front cylinder, was backfiring hard, I could see and feel the front carb bounce when it did, small flames out of the muffler etc.. and then it would stall. I opened the carbs up last night to everything looking in great shape, granted im no expert at carbs... but I was hoping to see a bunch of shit in there and a definite need for cleaning. so I cleaned all the little trinkets, checked the float bowls to what I believe to be set correctly. looked like gas wanted to come up out of the needle when I had them on the bench while checking the float bowls.. I wrapped em up and tossed em back in the bike but couldn't get them to slide onto the boots well, so I gave up for the night.

also want to let it be known that when I was taking the carbs off, the air intake boot was loose, just slipped on.. so im assuming that's what could have been causing my high idle? would that also flood my cylinders with fuel cause its getting too much air or no?

MJPriceisright said:
it shot gas so hard out of the spark plug hole it hit the wall (minor details rich).

ha!

MJPriceisright said:
also want to let it be known that when I was taking the carbs off, the air intake boot was loose, just slipped on.. so im assuming that's what could have been causing my high idle? would that also flood my cylinders with fuel cause its getting too much air or no?

yes and no

any thoughts on the gas coming up out of the needle? did I check the floats incorrectly? only reason I feel like this would happen is cause the bowl is overflowing..

So the front cyl is still flooding with gas after you confirmed float height was stopping the fuel ~ the seam of the float bowl/carb body?

i haven't put the recently cleaned up carbs back on and test fired yet... but before they came off.. initially the rear cylinder was dumping gas.. then we cleaned out the cylinder and the rear ran fine, but the front has been burping and coughing the whole time... backfiring etc. last night when i had the carbs in the vise, doing one at a time so they were clamped in level, the gas was right around the edge or slightly below a bit.. definitely not over the edge.

Well - make sure that the floats pivot freely on their pins and that the throttle butterflies are opening simultaneously. Hopefully there was just some tiny schmutz holding the float needle open or something.

word.. going to get them back in tonight and test fire again.. need to cause im leaving for the week, headed out the jersey shore to wrestle with the rest of meatheads out on the beach for a few days... kidding.. but seriously. after this i just have to get a headlight ordered up and some bodywork.. nice.

Rich Ard said:
you're not kidding though

so true. anyways.. here is the headlight im thinking, just wondering about the overall depth.. it says including the bulb at its deepest point its 6"... what do you think? offset it for some more room of course.

Attachments

• P223-507-2.jpg
    P223-507-2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 813
If that happens to fit between the upper and lower tree that would be some cool shit

i agree but i don't know how 6" wide will look.. that means i cant tuck it into the forks very tight.. which means i would have that big honking thing out in front of the bike..
sucks when you cant see things in person.

with the gsxr forks i can't really picture a headlight you could tuck into the forks!

if you flipped that lamp so that the deepest part was closest to the top triple you might be able to get away with it under a 'number plate' like you were talking about

i wonder if i should just buy a naked projector bulb and just do the original number plate mount.. any good places to pick up projector lamps? something like this maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-5-Motorcycle-Bike-HID-BI-XENON-Projectors-Lens-Kit-Halo-Angel-Devil-Eye-AC-/151044645900?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232af6640c&vxp=mtr

so last night I got the carbs back in the bike and got some test fires in.. I still am having some backfiring, running too rich issues here.. keep in mind it was the first time I had checked bowls on a carb before. they looked ok (to me) and it just still seems to be backfiring etc.. I turned the idler screws all the way in and backed em out two full turns.. then another half, half, half, half... seemed to be running better and better the more I unscrewed em, but its still stalling out after running for like 20-30 seconds.. if I keep my hand on the throttle I can keep it running, but sitting at idle it will stall out, like in the video. pulled the plugs and they are black as night everywhere except the very tip of the electrode, which is white.. so I was confused whether it was running lean cause of the white tip, or its rich cause its black everywhere else. this bike has no air filter setup right now, opened exhaust.. how can it be running rich? It has stock jetting to my knowledge. had stock airbox and filters when I tore it down.. any help is greatly appreciated guys

Attachments

• 20130604_013548.jpg
    20130604_013548.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom