trackin xv750

I also have a couple videos of the bike running and stalling.. not sure if I can post them up cause they files are pretty large, anyone help out with that?

so after some further research it turns out my bike had a set of 920 carbs installed... wrong. so I picked up some 750 carbs from a local guy and put them on the bike.. started up but was only running on the rear cylinder. front cylinder isn't getting fuel. so I need to tear them down and re clean them. also have a rebuild kit coming this week. one thing to mention when I initially hooked em up, that large vacuum line on the top of the carb was overflowing with gas. thoughts on that? really hoping something is just clogged up.. but the bike did start and idle fine on one cylinder.. so a small success on the evening.

MJPriceisright said:
so after some further research it turns out my bike had a set of 920 carbs installed... wrong. so I picked up some 750 carbs from a local guy and put them on the bike.. started up but was only running on the rear cylinder. front cylinder isn't getting fuel. so I need to tear them down and re clean them. also have a rebuild kit coming this week. one thing to mention when I initially hooked em up, that large vacuum line on the top of the carb was overflowing with gas. thoughts on that? really hoping something is just clogged up.. but the bike did start and idle fine on one cylinder.. so a small success on the evening.

Glad to hear you're that much closer. I assume you mean the vacuum line from the petcock is filling up with gas? Pull the petcock apart and see if the little diaphraghm in it is busted. If that's the case - and I'm going to guess this is the one that runs to the front cylinder? - that might explain your fueling issues.

I have several good XV petcocks lying around, or you can bypass that entirely and use the 'prime' function and cap off the vacuum line at the carb intake.

this is the line I was talking about with gas coming out of it... gonna try and tear em down tonight and soak em.

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQiegBRGnEiBefg~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQiegBRGnEiBefg~~60_57.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 235
if this photograph is correct on the main and pilot jetting location, I believe the guy who rebuilt mine switched them, having the pilot jet in the main jet spot. can someone confirm this? thanks

Attachments

• Picture9.gif
    Picture9.gif
    166.4 KB · Views: 818
photo is correct ..

the Main jet screws into the needle jet or "emulsion tube" and is the larger of the two .

~kop

so indeed the pilots and mains were backwards, so I got the carbs out and got them switched back and in the right spot.. once I put the carbs back in, the bike fired right up but had zero throttle reponse.. just bogging out, no fuel as it seemed.. so next step was to check the float bowls. they appeared low, and Richard came up to gr and we got em set up on the bench, back in the bike with some fresh plugs and its now running on two like it should. still a little concerned with some hiccupping back through the carb, I can see the carbs bounce in the boot when it happens, but I will look into it further today as it was late last night and wasn't going to wake the neighbors cause this thing is loudddddd.

MJPriceisright said:
so indeed the pilots and mains were backwards, so I got the carbs out and got them switched back and in the right spot.. once I put the carbs back in, the bike fired right up but had zero throttle reponse.. just bogging out, no fuel as it seemed.. so next step was to check the float bowls. they appeared low, and Richard came up to gr and we got em set up on the bench, back in the bike with some fresh plugs and its now running on two like it should. still a little concerned with some hiccupping back through the carb, I can see the carbs bounce in the boot when it happens, but I will look into it further today as it was late last night and wasn't going to wake the neighbors cause this thing is loudddddd.

Yeah, in retrospect cranking it all the way open was not my best move. Sounds pretty cool though.

yeah sure does.. exhaust glows red too! we turned the lights off the second time to see where it was getting hot.. its right near the 90 off the head where it likes to glow a bit.. not sure how I feel about that.

I would venture a guess that it's the rear cylinder that's lean - super short exhaust and no filter whatsoever.

today the bike was running pretty good. I put some filter Foam into the frame st the back to slow
the air delivery down a bit. instant throttle response. one last thing to mention is the popping from the rear cylinder. still seems to be running lean, guessing it's the short pipe... I have a spare set of 920 carbs so I was thinking about putting the 128 main in, in place of the stock 122, see if that richens it up and males the popping and hicupping back into the carb go away. when I put slight choke on it doesn't pop at all. any thoughts?

Give it a shot - with the wildly different exhaust lengths you may very well need to jet each appropriately.

Probably time to nail down what you're going to do air filter-wise, too.

Rich Ard said:
Give it a shot - with the wildly different exhaust lengths you may very well need to jet each appropriately.

Probably time to nail down what you're going to do air filter-wise, too.

yep checked for leaks and its all good there.. also ive got the idea of what im gonna do for the filters as well.. going to pick up some switches, get my brake and throttle cables modified, and finish welding up the exhaust today.

only got the switches finished yesterday and also the throttle cable is now cut to length, has a new end soldered on as well. worked out perfectly and looks great. switches I am so so about, but its one less thing on the list. need to get a new starter solenoid for my two wires that engage it, are not working.. thinking about just going to an autoparts store and picking one up from who knows what.. any ideas? also need to get the exhaust finished up. filter screen in the picture is a work in progress..

Attachments

• IMG_2013061422446.jpg
    IMG_2013061422446.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,081
Back
Top Bottom