Cafe seems to morph into fighter

I didnt really document the build in this thread. Mainly did that over at the CB forum. Here are some pics from the build I thought you would find interesting.

Motor comes out

01-27-11007.jpg

003-6.jpg

New front end

029.jpg

Gotta swap those steering stems

003-11.jpg

swappy done

001-17.jpg

test fit

032.jpg

Motor back with 823 kit, 900 cams, gixxer carbs, valve job, gasket kit, cam chain adjuster, paint..........

011-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

first edition with clip ons and gixxer head lamps

011-3.jpg

013-1.jpg

My friggin wife came in the garage again!!

buy-thongs.jpg

Maybe next time

100527_6.jpg

100527_5.jpg

Yes, tank is still on guard duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

024-1.jpg

Its rainin, I'm bored, how about playin in the garage with some parts I got layin around!!!

001-26.jpg

That looks awesome. This is pretty much exactly what I've been thinking about doing to my spare cb450S but with spoke wheels and something different for a rear pod. Just have to find spoke rims with provision for dual front disc and rear drum.

Lets get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

001-50.jpg

002-43.jpg

003-44.jpg

First loose mock up

004-36.jpg

005-33.jpg

006-22.jpg

008-19.jpg

To finish this up I am going to get some bushings to bring the 16mm pivot bolt up the 25mm swinger hole. Then have some tabs welded on to the swinger to run the dual shocks. If I get lucky this may be on the road this weekend.!! 8)

I really liked that custom swinger, but man that bitch weighed a metric ton!!!!!!! I bet I dropped at least 5lbs!! ;D

Ya know, for me this shores up the bike really nicely. The first swingarm you made(?) was cool but just looked too long. This one however while still longer than stock looks far better! Good choice..

Ok, I gotta share this story. So to make this swinger work I have to shim / bush the 16mm stock pivot bolt up to the 25mm hole in the swinger. There is actually a company in Ct that specailizes in bushings. I used them to do my GT swinger conversion, only cost like 50 bucks. So it turns out they have a bushing with the 16mm ID and 25mm OD. Problem is that they are only 16mm long so I would need like 10 of them just to do a couple or inches on each side of the pivot bolt and fashion some kind of cheap spacer in the center. Well, that was the plan anyway.....................$18.00 each, change the plan!!!!!!!!!!

So I am at the hardware store looking at every pipe, bushing, washer.................any fuckin thing I can think of. The girls at the counter think I am some kinf of wierdo because I am in there for like an hour measuring shit with my micrometer. So I give up.

I go home and I am sittin there drinkin a brewski and I think, well I may as well look at the stock swing arm and see if I can scavenge anything off it. I pulled the bearing end caps off and I see a line, indicating that there is some sort of sleeve in there. I start to tap it with the hammer and a punch and the whole thing comes out. A full length bushing that the stock pivot bolt runs through. I am like well, I may as well see how far off it is from fitting in the gixxer swinger.............................................A PERFECT FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT NEED A THING MADE TO FIT THIS SWINGER ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still in shock. Cant believe my luck. :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Your not workin on that damm bike on thanksgiving morning.....................................SHUUUUUUT UP!!!! :lol: :lol:

Had a few minutes to get the arm bolted up this morning. Still have some odds and ends to take care of but pretty much done. Need some spacers (washers :lol: :lol: ) to move the top of the shocks out maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 inch, the nuts are not tightened down in the pics. Have to throw the chain on, but I knelt down behind the bike and eye balled the sprockets and I'll tell ya they look straight on!!!! Oh yes, everybody will be happy to know that this arm is a few inches (I forget the exact amount) shorter than the extended arm. :D

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Shake out spin this weekend.

001-51.jpg

002-44.jpg

003-45.jpg

The welder did a great job for $40.00

004-37.jpg

007-26.jpg

We do need more Freddie Rep's. They are the 80's equivalent of cafe racers.

Project "Super Bike oil cooler" gets under way.

Daytona2010227.jpg

I have all the parts except the friggin cooler and I have to grab some longer lines. FedEx tracking says the cooler is in Windsor Locks loaded on the truck, but wont be delivered until Monday. I called them and said I would drive up and get the bastard and they gave some bull shit about the truck being out for service. Ok, you mean you dont want to hang around on Saturday afternoon waiting for some obssessive compulsive wierdo to drive up there :wink:

003-47.jpg

Drainin the punishers blood!!!!!!! May as well do my annual wire brush and high temp paint job on the old yoshi!!

004-39.jpg

This prick been there since 1981, wont budge!!!!!!!!!!! even after takin the bolts out, ahhh I'll get it.

005-36.jpg

Well that only took 2 hours!!!! ;D

Its hard to break through 30 years of baked on!!

001-55.jpg

Now, any tips on 30 year baked on gasket removal??? I stopped in at NAPA figurin there has to be a product to loosen up old gasket crud.....nothin.

The plate I bought with the 1100 cooler parts looks identical to the plate that was in the bike. Is there any difference??

002-49.jpg

Oh what a mess!! I could have ridden the poor punisher today. :(

003-48.jpg

Holy crap!!!!! Did someone around here say this was an easy job??? Man oh man, maybe if I knew what the hell I was doin it would go quicker, but I must have 10 hours invested so far and I am about half way done!!!

To go from this.....
001-55.jpg

To this, took about 2 hours of scraping with the friggin razor. Just no easy way to get your hands in there, and man was that thing baked on!!! :(
002-50.jpg

Removing the old oil pan gasket off the bottom of the motor was way easier, believe it or not. It was sorta easy to lay on my back and get both hands up under there. It only took like 15 minutes. Then rubbed all the surfaces down with scotch clothe.

Painted up my new oil pan. Wire wheeled and painted the yoshi. I am waitin for my AN8 90 degree fittings and hoses to come in, scheduled for tomorrow. Got the fittings and hoses from a place called "extreme psi", huge selection. I am running regular black hoses and I am going to use the stock wire / spring guards on them after I clean them up. Should be a different look compared to everybody and thier brother who runs stainless lines. Yes, the stainless are superior, just going for a different look. (and dont want to have custom fittings made for the oil pan to accept the stainless lines!!! ;D)
001-56.jpg

Just finished up my mounting braket. Just need my buddy to get over here with his welder. 8)

Back
Top Bottom