CB500 Four Dutch Dyke Racer ( CARB QUESTIONS )

Re: CB500 Four Dutch Dyke Racer

Tetter said:
Got a number photoshopped to the seat, what do you think ?
Foto-WQDE3ENZ-D.jpg

What kind of exhaust / mufflers are those?

As above, this photo is a photoshop mock up.
Got the picture from Benji's
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/4-into-4-exhaust.php
It's about the price my bike has now cost in Euro in total :eek:

Tetter said:
As above, this photo is a photoshop mock up.
Got the picture from Benji's
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/4-into-4-exhaust.php
It's about the price my bike has now cost in Euro in total :eek:

Yeah too rich for my blood! If I ever win the lottery I'm gonna have a $20,000 dollar CB550 built for me!

A bit disappointed today :(
I thought i'd fire her up today. And was thinking that would now be just a push at the button with the new bobs, ignition cable, revised carbs and elec ignition. But that was a bummer...
Started till the battery was down.... :eek: but she's still dead.

Sure she will fir up with some ether, but in my book this should not be necessary right ?

Hoe should a CB start after 2 weeks ?

EDIT:
Indeed with a bit of brake cleaner she fires up immediately

Yeah... shouldn't be necessary. If it's starting with ether then your spark and compression are probably OK. I'd start with carbs. Give them a good cleaning if you haven't done so already.

I have cleaned them total, ultrasonic and all.
Afterwards build them up with new parts, needles jets, float needles, o-rings everything. ( not yet balanced )

I have put the 100's Jets in, and put the needles in the middle position. That was the same set up as before, but I think she was leaking fuel alongside the jets, as the o-rings were flattend and the jets would fall out off their pockets without the spring holding them in position. Maybe the needles should be in another position to give her more fuel ?
Put the air mixure screws on the advised 1 1/8 open, maybe that is too much with the velocity stacks I'm using?
Could it be she's getting to much air ?
Foto-NPIKFEVG-D.jpg

Totally possible. With the choke on, turn the engine over for about ten seconds and then pull the plugs. They should appear wet and smell very much like gas (assuming the engine didn't start).

After you start it with ether, does it stay running or does it die?

That is the strange thing, she keeps running on choke, even idle ....
Too bad the weather over here is not very "driveable" i should have her run for a good few miles, heat her up decently, and check the sparkplugs afterwards. ( could use a colortune sparkplug to check on correct ignition color )

[size=10pt](Offtopic : I'll send you a message in your Custom Gauge Graphics with an idea i'ff got )[/size]

That is a puzzling one... You said your battery had died. Has it been replaced or just recharged? I'm just shooting from the hip on this one and I hope someone with more experience weighs in, but maybe the ether doesn't need a very strong spark to ignite and once the bike is running you're generating enough wattage to overcome the bad charge on the battery?

Could be...
The battery is an 12Ah, not a regular motorcycle battery but used for this more often. Even read people use 7Ah for these bikes, when they don't use the starter.
I got it from a friend, it's not new....
Maybe next time, I'll try to kick her to live first so all power can go to the spark ??? Would that be an idea ?

Might make a difference, might not. It would be interesting to try if you've been using the starter all this time, though.

I'll try that next time, she's too hot now ::)
Normally I don't mind that. :p......

I've been reading up on rejetting the carbs and i'll think i defenately will put my needles in a higher position. ( the way it was with my previous engine block )
Many even run 115 jets with velocity stacks, even with foam filters....

Better to start off on the rich side than lean.....and burn a hole
To make it richer, should I turn in or out the air mixture screw ?

@Swivel,
Thanks mate,just got a new idea to keep an eye on the revs.
Let's see if we can build the original tacho to a Smiths look a like
Foto-DS4SEYXU-D.jpg

Today I went to my nephews house to get his CB750 from the attic so he can build it further in his garage.

He made me a sweet engine stand. ;D
On this stand I have my old engine mounted which has been broken down over a year ago. At that time it got stuck, I think it ran to hot. After 2 hours cooling down it has run again, but as there was over 2 liters of oil missing I decided to swap engines.
Now I ride with a spare engine, but I really want to get this one open to see what has happened.
I think I'm going to tare it apart, clean the cases, replace all seals, and necessary parts( I know the piston rings need to be ). And have it as my spare engine.
Maybe with an CB650 cam and some CB750 carbs, I heard it could gane over 7bhp with these small modifications.
Foto-WIJBDEFQ-D.jpg

Any other interesting mod's i should know about?

I made a brace for the soon to be rev counter.
I used the old broken speedo for the mock up, as i'm already preparing the housing etc from the old revcounter for the new sonreir - plate.
Oil and Neutral light will be intgrated in the tacho, in 3mm leds ( well it's the idea )
Foto-KIGZAYOV-D.jpg

Also grinded down the clamps, not total, as i'm using the original mounting holes for the brace.

Prepared the lighting today for the new tacho
Foto-KCYYIQXI-D.jpg

I like it a lot ! I'm only going to drive her at night now ::)

whoop whoop.
Went to a swap meet today, bought nothing special, just some told and nuts and bolt.

Back home I found my new tacho plate had been delivered.
Of course I could not hold myself down, and I mounted it immediatley.

Daylight
Foto-HSHPO4KB-D.jpg

Night rides 8)
Foto-SWL7ID3L-D.jpg

Does anybody know if I can shorten the tacho cable ?

It's to long now, as I dropped the fork and oput the tacho below the top triple.....
I tried to re-route it, but the bends get to sharp, and then the tacho stops :eek:

Back
Top Bottom