Project "Caroline" CB350four And so it begins!

tWistedWheelz

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
I picked up this 350f in July, it was really in great shape for its age. It was running ok when I got it but after a little tunning she really ran much better. I have had a it of a drippy carb situation ever since I got it, that just turned into a pissing carb....that is what spawned the begining of the work. So for I have changed the stock bars for clubman bars and srtipped and polished the top triple clamp and idiot light cover. I have the bike on the work table now with the carbs removed to rebuild. While I had it down, I decided to do a bit more polishing. Here are some pics to catch you up.
When I first got it.
SDC12505.jpg

SDC12504.jpg

SDC12500.jpg

SDC12497.jpg

Top clamp before.
bike4.jpg

SDC12498.jpg

and after!
SDC12594.jpg

SDC12595.jpg

Getting carb work!
SDC12586.jpg

SDC12596.jpg

SDC12597.jpg

and some polish work while I am in there!
SDC12588.jpg

SDC12591.jpg

I plan on making it into a classic cafe style with lots of fun go fast mods. As for the go fast parts, she will be getting a Dyna CDI electronic ignitions system, Dyna 5 ohm coils, port and polish, K&N cone filters, MAC 4 into 1 exhaust, and rejetting. I plan on upgrading the rear shocks to dual rate twin spring springs on hydrolic dampers and replacing the front fork springs with progressive springs and instal imulators. Before it is all said and done the entire bike will be torn down and rebilt, with all new paint and hardware. Thanks for looking, and feel free to leave me feedback of any kind!

Re: Project "Caroline" CB350 Four

Haha! Knew you couldnt be rockin stock for too long!

Do what you do Brandon!

It has begun.... The cycle never ends. Any specifics on the final color/design or we just playing it by ear?

If you need jets I might have a spare set of new ones.

I'm buying some for my CB400F, but I'll probably only use the 85's, as I doubt I'll keep the pods.

I'd have 80's, 90, and 95's left over.

CresentSon said:
It has begun.... The cycle never ends. Any specifics on the final color/design or we just playing it by ear?

I like that stock color so much and the factory graphics, that I will be going back with factory paint and pin stipes. I am going to do some of the frame and other bits a bit different from stock, but only someone who really knows what a real factory correct bike looks like will really know the difference. At least that is the plan for now!

PHeller said:
If you need jets I might have a spare set of new ones.

I'm buying some for my CB400F, but I'll probably only use the 85's, as I doubt I'll keep the pods.

I'd have 80's, 90, and 95's left over.

Hell yeah man, do you know which ones I may need with the cones and a 4 into 1...I really appreciate the offer, please PM me with the details!

I had read that with PODS ONLY you wanted to start at 85's depending on altitude. I think that was at closer to sea level.

EXHAUST ONLY would be around the same size. (What I'll be doing)

I had also read that some guys had success with 90's and 85's with both PODS AND EXHAUST.

Then again, some people couldn't ever figure out the jetting and went back to stock airbox.

Apparently the larger fours did better with PODS/EXHAUST than the "mini fours" like the CB350/400F.

Well thanks for that info man, I live at sea level, literally! I live on the water, my back yard has a dock that is in on inlet off of the bay! I would love to get those jets, I hope to have this all done before spring of next year. Money is a crunch right now, so anything I can get a deal on, I am all about it.

Do you have a build thread, could you post a link in here or in a PM to me. Thanks again!

looking forward to this! Especially interested in the DIY port and polish and the emulators. Good luck, I'll be watching closely!

bob.

NICE!

I have pods and a 4 into 1 on my 350f. I first went with the set of jets, but had a hell of a time dialing them in. I finally started with 85s and bought a set of micro drill bits and slowly upped the sizes on the jets until it ran right... Not sure what size they are now, but she runs like the devil! Next time i tear the carbs down I'll make a note of what size bit slides in.

WOW that is in killer condition!

tWistedWheelz said:
I picked up this 350f in July, it was really in great shape for its age.

Nice. I'd ride it. Heck, I'd buy one if I could find one here :-[ I reckon I'd even consider swapping my 400F for one. Something unique about these little beauties. Sort of like an exercise in miniaturisation. Like the 250 6 cylinder race bike.

I'll be watching what you do to this. Very carefully ;)

cheers
ian

BCBarker said:
I have pods and a 4 into 1 on my 350f. I first went with the set of jets, but had a hell of a time dialing them in. I finally started with 85s and bought a set of micro drill bits and slowly upped the sizes on the jets until it ran right... Not sure what size they are now, but she runs like the devil! Next time i tear the carbs down I'll make a note of what size bit slides in.

The previous owner tried doing that on my current set of jets...and failed.

I'd almost bet that you probably ended up very close a 90 jet anyway...

I think it is slightly over 90. It ran lean on 90's and i remember stepping up 2 bits at least twice before it was running good... Now it runs superbly :D.

90 is a good starting point, but with my emgo pods 90's were lean and 95's were rich.

I only started with 85s cause i had a spare set from my parts carbs.

Tonight I got out in the shop and finished the polishing of the carb bowls and top covers. After finishing, I had some more time, so I decided that since she was on the lift, I might as well do a few other things until the carb parts come in. I had a spare front fender, so I chopped it and then cleaned it up a bit and mounted it. I hope my new float seals come in by the end of the week, and I should have my SS bolt kits for the carbs and engine in the next few days. After I came in from the shop was the best part of the night. I came in and my wife told me I smell like old motorcycle! SCORE! Here are tonights pics!
SDC12616.jpg

SDC12623.jpg

SDC12617.jpg

SDC12618.jpg

SDC12624.jpg

SDC12626.jpg

SDC12625.jpg

Looking Great Brandon!!! I dig the sleeper cafe thing a lot. That's the direction my 400f is going. And damn dude, I need some polishing tips on those carbs! That looks insanely incredible! You should teach me that!

PHeller, I am running open (MAC) exhaust AND velocity stacks on my 400f, and through plug chops, etc, I ended up running 80 mains with BOTH. The stock ones are 75s, and the jump to 80 is more than you think. I know the kit you got off of EBAY, and the jets on there are a good deal at $50, the problem is, you just don't need them as high as they are on there. Again, you're right about climate and altitude, but just throwing that out there for you. The size difference is more than you think between sizes.

Sorry for the thread jack B, just trying to help ya both out brother. Again man, AMAZING work. I hope you bring her to Barber's so the baby 4s can flirt.

Dont worry brother she will be there. I am coming on thurs day for sure, and Alex is coming with me so we can car pool. So you will get to peer at our ugly mugs one day more than the rest of the goons. If we have time, I may get you to give me a hand in changing the cam chain slipper in your shop! Oh, and no worry on the thread jack, I want any and all info, weather it will help me or some other person. The more the merrier!

Sweet shiny float bowls Batman. That is incredible bro. I don't have the patience to sit at the buff wheel for stuff like that. More power to ya, cuz the southern boy has got the skills. How many hrs in that Brandon?

CresentSon said:
Sweet shiny float bowls Batman. That is incredible bro. I don't have the patience to sit at the buff wheel for stuff like that. More power to ya, cuz the southern boy has got the skills. How many hrs in that Brandon?

These were not really too bad to start with, so I only have about 4 hours total in the polishing process....maybe a little less than 4 hours really....I was drinking beer and listening to Pink Floyd the whole time. I started with Dark Side of the Moon, then on to Wish You Were Here, then all of The Wall. I had done a little before putting on the Floyd too.

Kanti, I bought that set because I couldn't find jets any cheaper than $28 shipped.

If I could have found them for $15 bucks I would've gone with just 85s.

In either case, I'll have extras from the set coming the end of this week. I just hope that the mangled jets and seals are the root of my problems.

Twisted, hit me up if your interested in some jets. I'll let them go for $15 plus shipping (which should be pennies).

I Have not gotten my parts in yet, but decided to slap it all back together to try to get some riding in this weekend. While doing the carbs, I went on into the top end and did some adjusting on the cam chain tensioner because it has been rattling a bit. Good news is, I got her to fire right up and the tensioner work was a great success! Bad news, my carb work was not...since I did not get the new float seats, I did not expect to fix the dripping, so that was no suprise, but now I have a new carb issue.....when I twist the throttle, it is like it chokes out, and it does not want to respond to full throttle. FUCK!....back on the lift!
Oh, and a pic!
SDC12629.jpg

Back
Top Bottom