1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

I made it this far. Working on the other side
20130928_153534_zps9f35c1c4.jpg

My man 8) thats a great looking bike between 9 and 10in of 1in pipe is a good stinger size to start with. if you run the some of that inside your last cone it will kill some of the noise and not affect the power. by the looks of what you got ypu already know that.

Thanks guys. I did read about the stinger thing Brad but there was one thing that I am unclear on. Is the silencer length to be included in the stinger length? Like if I had a calculated stinger length of 220mm and used a silencer that was 200mm long, would I need 20mm of stinger added? I could not verify this in either book that I read.
And on the noise, I’ve got an open field next to my house and there’s a dumb kid in the neighborhood with a CRF450. That bike is loud, way loud. Too loud to be next to my house. Now you know that I love motorcycles but that bike needs to be on a motocross track not ridden in a straight line back and forth next to my house. When the DS7 is back together and running I am not going to worry about the noise because to me, ring ding is not noise, brapppp coming from a 4 stroke dirt bike is noise. I despise what 4 strokes have done to motocross and it is one reason that I stopped riding moto. Did I just rant?

Nice work Clem, I know how difficult making pipes is ;)

clem said:
I made it this far …

Beautiful job Clem!

I believe stinger length is calculated to where pressure drop occurs. A muffler, being effectively of larger diameter than the stinger, doesn't count toward the length. I hope this makes sense, sometimes I just can't figure out how to express myself clearly!

Crazy

johnu said:
Nice work Clem, I know how difficult making pipes is ;)
John your pipes inspired me. After I was told the JL pipes would not fit my bike I was driven. You were the wind beneath my wings dear brother.

Stroker, Thanks for the explanation it clarifies things for me.

AAAawesome building Clem.
Really enjoying this one!

I finally got the other pipe fabbed up. Now I need to weld them up and make brackets and exhaust flanges. Stingers, silencers, the list goes on and on but I feel like I'm making progress slowly. These pipes were stressing me out when the second one was being fabbed. Sometimes I can sense when I'm on the road to screwing things and I know that I need to back off. I went at it again yesterday and things just started clicking. I need to pick up an ignition switch so that I can start to look at the wiring then it will be on to rebuilding the carburetors.
20131019_124511_zps2cb59329.jpg

20131019_124527_zps02ceb4eb.jpg

1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

Might be a long road Clem but I sure like where it's goin'

Thanks Rich Ard. The road just got a little longer because the side stand no longer fits and the kick starter will have to be modified but what the heck I'm saving this poor rust bucket right?
Brad, as a welder, would you grind the mig tacks down before welding out the joints or just go right over them?

stroker crazy said:
Tidy pipes Clem!

I'm suffering from DS7]
Haha! There's something about 2t chambers that make you say "holy crap" kind of like good punch to the face.

Ill go find a welder an ask him haha

if your tig or gas welding them cut the distance detween you current tacks in half and re tack them with a tig or what ever. then go back and grind out the mig tack

Sold info Brad. I just drank a blue moon for ya.

bike is looking really good nice work but you are going to need to do something with that top shock mount
it is going to twist right off,put a strut onnit straight up to frame

Back
Top Bottom