Pakistan Knock-Off Jackets?

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
Anyone ever purchased one of these knock-offs? Description says it's made with genuine leather. Pictures look quality. I'm not looking for a racing jacket that would protect me at 80+ or so. This would be mainly for cruising around town.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rocket-Motorbike-racing-leather-jacket-/201039348156?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2ecee101bc&vxp=mtr

Yeah haha noticed that. If it's halfway decent and lasts a couple years, it's worth $150.

I picked up an AGVSport Topanga jacket for ~$180 last year. It's been great. It kept me safe in a low speed lowside, and is very well made. If you can wait, you can probably find a really good deal on a jacket.

In fact, the website I bought mine from has it for $150 right now. Here's a link: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants

nrcb125 said:
I picked up an AGVSport Topanga jacket for ~$180 last year. It's been great. It kept me safe in a low speed lowside, and is very well made. If you can wait, you can probably find a really good deal on a jacket.

Wait for? Are you saying you're getting ready to sell yours?

1sttimer said:
Wait for? Are you saying you're getting ready to sell yours?

No. I was saying I liked the AGV jacket and recommending it over the Pakistani knock off you posted. The website I bought my jacket from has them on sale for $150. See the link in my other post.

i would advise against those knock off jackets. the material isn't as nice, and the workmanship isn't either. Although they make look good in photos, they just aren't as good.

And you say it's just for cruising around town….

Are you going to stop and change jackets to jump on the highway for a few miles? Why do you want to look like a racer when you're doing 45 in the city?

Spend the same money and get a legit, non-logo'd riding jacket like the AGV one posted, or a gasolina or something.

jsharpphoto said:
i would advise against those knock off jackets. the material isn't as nice, and the workmanship isn't either. Although they make look good in photos, they just aren't as good.

And you say it's just for cruising around town….

Are you going to stop and change jackets to jump on the highway for a few miles? Why do you want to look like a racer when you're doing 45 in the city?

Spend the same money and get a legit, non-logo'd riding jacket like the AGV one posted, or a gasolina or something.

Dude, I have a 175. I'm not going to be cruising on the highway for miles and miles. The bike is intended to be used in the city and light country roads.

I explicitly prefaced the use of the jacket. If I was getting on the highway I would dress for it.

1sttimer said:
Dude, I have a 175. I'm not going to be cruising on the highway for miles and miles. The bike is intended to be used in the city and light country roads.

I explicitly prefaced the use of the jacket. If I was getting on the highway I would dress for it.

calm down. I didn't notice the 175 if your signature. Still. I wouldn't get one. Get a quality jacket made by a reputable company. When it comes to protective gear, it's a no brainer. It doesn't matter how fast you intend to be going, when you get t-boned or rear-ended by someone doing twice that speed.

jsharpphoto said:
calm down. I didn't notice the 175 if your signature. Still. I wouldn't get one. Get a quality jacket made by a reputable company. When it comes to protective gear, it's a no brainer. It doesn't matter how fast you intend to be going, when you get t-boned or rear-ended by someone doing twice that speed.

This is true. Your first paragraph earlier answered the question.

If I got t-boned the jacket prolly wouldn't do much, but I value the feedback. Do you have experience with them or just word of mouth?

i would be a lil worried about a brand new seller and over a month handling time
and why no pitchur of the rear is it black or white backside ? duh
i like the idea of a lot of white on a jacket black just soaks up the suns heat like a mf'er

xb33bsa said:
i would be a lil worried about a brand new seller and over a month handling time
and why no pitchur of the rear is it black or white backside ? duh

Yeah for sure. Totally agree. There were tons of them out there. That wasn't the only one but I know what you're saying.

I got a thick as fuck Fieldsheer jacket used from eBay last month for $60. Looks cool, armored, and it was a $500 jacket before somebody hung it in the closet for a couple years.

Post up in the wanted section with your measurements and you'll likely get a couple hits - and though I hate to drive business to them, leatherUp's plain Jane leather jackets are reasonably solid for a hundred bucks ish.

I don't have experience with that particular seller. I have experience buying leather goods from Pakistan and the area. They never really add up. Ones leave may be cut a little differently, or you may have leather on the front and vinyl on the back. It's kind of a gamble.

Personally... I'd look for a used armored jacket and replace all of the armour with d3o pads.

Not trying to pile on or be a dick...

But have you ever laid a bike down? At 10mph it can cause some severe rash. The materials used in those jackets are complete junk. Wouldn't trust them at all.

As has been stated, there are TONS of used options for less money that are 1000x higher quality. I have a vintage leather coat that has survived a 40mph wreck on blacktop and gravel with minimal damage. I think it ran me $27 on EBay. I also have a Shift brand textile with armor I bought online during a clearance sale (can't remember exactly where but most places prices are identical) for $30 plus shipping. It's your skin, do what ya will but recognize the consequences.

And on a related note...

Don't send money to Pakistan. You dont know who's pocket it ends up in.

I've never laid a bike down in asphalt. I've certainly had my fair share of hospital time with off-road machines, however.

Hence, I asked the question. If I didn't expect someone to give me a straight answer, I wouldn't have posted the question and I would have bought the jacket and my next post could have likely been my road rash photo instead of the question I posted.

All that aside, I realize I can buy nice used things. I also realize that all things imported aren't shit all the time. (I engineer plastic parts in China for a living).

So despite the alluring photo on the Fleabay, I'll heed your advice and stay away for safety's sake.

VonYinzer said:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/22222/i/fieldsheer-infinity-jacket

That's a nice one. Do you guys prefer a performance fabric such as this one over leathers?

Just depends on the rider.
Leather sucks in the summer but I don't like textile jackets, they don't give me the same secure feeling (even though I know some of them are just as good if not better than leather). There's just something about a nice worn in leather jacket that you just can't beat. If you can find a decent one with vents do so.

I'm in the market for a new one, I started exercising and outgrew my others haha.

There is a thread on here called "show us your leathers" or something similar that has some good discussion on the different options

Back
Top Bottom