Care to share a little inspiration?

xb33bsa said:
that cb is a pos,the stretched wheelbase is not the pathway to carving turns
a wasted effort all for a "look"

Oh. Ya. Sorry. What was I thinking? ::)

I can guarantee that cb handles better than it did stock. So in my opinion, not wasted effort. Thanks for sharing reject.

It's hard to tell without measuring it. Really long wheelbase would slow things down, so maybe not so good on very tight turns but maybe less of an issue on the street.

Short front end and tall rear end suggest steep steeringhead angle and minimal trail but that may not be as bad as it looks if it's measured. Modern triple clamps help to reduce wheelbase slightly, and add trail, so overall, it's probably a little sensitive at the front and a little slow to react at the rear.

Would not feel stock though. That much is for sure. Another issue is whether the frame can deal with the side forces from those fat tires. That's where my latest monoshock conversion stopped. The frame is too flimsy around the swingarm pivot and I have to deign a better way to stiffen it.

yup and besides being a flexi flyer that frame will eventually break in half(if it actually ever gets ridden) just above the upper rear motor mounts, whoever built that abortion is criminally ignorant
off with their hands !!! :D

biker_reject said:
Recently sold on ebay, I disregard the red painted case covers and the odd CF applique on the tank. Everything else about the bike I am a fan of.

Ok, what did it sell for out of curiosity?

xb33bsa said:
yup and besides being a flexi flyer that frame will eventually break in half(if it actually ever gets ridden) just above the upper rear motor mounts, whoever built that abortion is criminally ignorant
off with their hands !!! :D

That is exactly where my GT frame looks woefully inadequate too. I have to work out a small pyramid arrangement there that doesn't hit everything else around it. I have one frame with tubes from that point to the steeringhead but they interfere with teh carbs.......

the way the upper shock mount is hung out without any support vertically on this thing is another glaring disaster just waiting to happen
$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB750-CAFE-RACER-1981-cb750-custom-cafe-/271536698831?pt=US_motorcycles&forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f38d935cf&item=271536698831&nma=true&si=Yv%252FufiTMFFAhkgpL4g5Uf84muMM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's the kind of info I like reading. Thanks for expounding upon the "it's a pos comment." I get tired of blanket statements like that but really enjoy learning when actual detailed observations are shared. Thanks teazer and xB

xb33bsa said:
the way the upper shock mount is hung out without any support vertically on this thing is another glaring disaster just waiting to happen

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I'd want to have an "eyes on" inspection before I made such an evaluation. At first blush, my upper mount looks flimsy, but it's stood the test of 3 years service with nary a flaw. Just sayin' is all.

Drewski said:
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I'd want to have an "eyes on" inspection before I made such an evaluation. At first blush, my upper mount looks flimsy, but it's stood the test of 3 years service with nary a flaw. Just sayin' is all.

I'd agree Drewski, lots of knowledge around here but lots of arm-chair quarterbacks too. Sometimes they sound exactly alike. Looking at a bike in person isn't the same as looking a pics where you don't get the whole image. Sure, some stuff you can tell right away but others need a real good look.

canyoncarver said:
I'd agree Drewski, lots of knowledge around here but lots of arm-chair quarterbacks too. Sometimes they sound exactly alike. Looking at a bike in person isn't the same as looking a pics where you don't get the whole image. Sure, some stuff you can tell right away but others need a real good look.
well, that one you can see the fails right away, if you know what you are looking at
the only 2 rear vertical frame tubes are not beefed up unless they replaced them and made them look original ::)
the loads are extremely different on a single shock frame
basically the shock and swinger pivot are trying to tear the frame apart,right there at the weak point, above the rear motor mounts
totally diffferent than what the frame is designed for
the top shock mount is really adding to the grief as it is hung out rearward compounding the stupid with twisting loads on those 2 tubes
and the entire rear frame is removed
it actually contributed to absorbing laterall loads at the swinger pivot, now with the much longer swinger the loads are even higher with a reduced capacity to deal with them, than even the original had

Attachments

• gdspmc2409.JPG
    gdspmc2409.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 224
  • AndrewsMono.jpg
    AndrewsMono.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 201310942000x1500.jpg
    201310942000x1500.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_2551_2014-05-08.jpg
    100_2551_2014-05-08.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_2556.jpg
    100_2556.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 2strokebikerIMG_1702crop.jpg
    2strokebikerIMG_1702crop.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 253
This '76 550 auction ended just prior to the controversial SSSA 750. I also liked it a lot and added its pics to my library of cafe and concept bikes (for inspiration). I questioned the strength of the curved subframe support and the plain looking rear sets. But, I think I'm being nitpicky about the rear sets. ;D It went Reserve Unmet for $7000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Honda-CB550-Cafe-Racer-/171374315758?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=T8hUW03hURDen4BMoYiEaPswras%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Attachments

• 76cb550 1.JPG
    76cb550 1.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 76cb550 3.JPG
    76cb550 3.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 535
  • 76cb550 5.JPG
    76cb550 5.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 476
Back
Top Bottom