1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

Dale

Coast to Coast
Hi guys

Been very busy over the last few months doing some restorations and builds etc, and just started a new Cafe Racer build, (even though my V50 project is still not complete :-/ ) but I figured, hey what the heck, I'll post it up. The feedback and critique here on DoTheTon is always invaluable, and its great to hear a whole bunch of opinions from a diverse group of people.

So let me get started: I picked this bike up for a song. Fully papered, running well, except for what initially seemed like a sprocket seal issue, and the gears are a little difficult to change - but once a gear is engaged - its all good - so maybe just some minor clutch issue (I hope). Its an open dry clutch and the motorcycle has been standing for over a year.

Other than that - a beafy, torquey 906cc L-Twin. Its got a set of nasty aftermarket cans on it, which are also getting thrown out.

Now she ain't pretty I can tell you that - just have a look at that 80's seat and fairing covering what was initially a beautiful piece of machinery. But, trends and fashion changes, and I bet this "look" will be the next big thing in a decade or so. But I'm not waiting for that - I want a stripped down, lowered and current looking version of this 24 year old Italian brute.

Its not what I would call quick, but its powerful and the torque as usual is great. And when you need the power, its there - there's definitely enough.

So here's my first take on what I'm thinking of doing...

Ducati_900_ss_A01.jpg

Yesterday afternoon when I got it.

Ducati_900_ss_A02.jpg

This morning removed the fairing and seat to see what we've got.

Ducati_900_ss_A03.jpg

Ok, so what I've done here in Photoshop:

1. Lowered the forks by about 50mm.
2. Ducati Monster (or similar) headlight.
3. Moved clocks
4. New seat (I used an image from a seat the Union guys made for their 900ss. Love their stuff.
5. New cans
6. Cut some subframe off (50mm off rear)
7. Frame and wheels black.

And I think that's about all I'm going to do.

I really want to build this bike on a fixed budget. I'm thinking $2500.00 max (including purchase).
I want to do it in a fixed time period. I'm not going to get so precious over this machine - I'm just going to get it done.

:)
Dale

I like the idea.

For me, there are way too many frame tubes at the rear end that need to be covered or simplified. If I were going to hack the frame about, I think I'd want to go much further with the transformation. that frame is designed for two up with bags etc, so for a single seat, it could use a really light subframe.

It's going to be hard to come up with a great seat hump that works with that humpy tank without it looking too lumpy.

If the low bars work for you, good, or else try a set of superbike bars and try a more street fighter look - while avoiding it looking like another Monster.

Or how about a "Old Blue" tribute bike with high pipes. That could look awesome.

teazer said:
For me, there are way too many frame tubes at the rear end that need to be covered or simplified. If I were going to hack the frame about, I think I'd want to go much further with the transformation. that frame is designed for two up with bags etc, so for a single seat, it could use a really light subframe.

Ya, I'm with Teazer, I think too many cross bars back there, but other than that, I think it will look killer! Keep us posted on progress!

I've often thought of almost this exact project! Good on ya....

Were it mine, I'd swap out for a 750ss cafe seat and 1/2 fairing, some peashooter style reverse cone megas and then I'd beat up a latte drinker for the wheels from his sport classic....ok, I'd probably buy them off ebay/cl etc....but you get the point haha.

I hope you DO build this bike though.

That looks like it could be amazing!!! Dooooo ittttttt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

The old school Ducati logo really makes it too.

The frame is a little too 'symmetrical' front to back. Loose some of the bits like the passenger peg mounts etc. and it will look great. I like the photoshop version tons.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, opinions and ideas so far.

1. Subframe

The first thing I *always* think about when "tidying' up a bike is getting that subframe as minimal as possible - and with this bike my initial thoughts were exactly that.
Now, one of my primary concerns on this build is an optimal conversion. The "ambition" department in terms of "big awesome custom special" is low. I want to get the most bang for my buck (read both time and money) and get a great, mechanically perfect, hot looking, yet "almost factory" look with as little effort as possible. That's the brief to myself.

Secondly, unlike most Ducatis that I'm aware of, this frame has always stood out to me as a symmetrical frame, as Tim calls it. I like that. Its quirky. And that for me is another key word "quirky". Ducati specials usually have some degree of quirkiness in their design.

HOWEVER! I do value the opinions of a group of members on this forum - be it based on their general commentary, their own builds, etc ... so I figured, OK, lets see what it would in fact look like if we do trim down the subframe a touch. After all, its not a big job by any means, and if its going to make all the difference - I'm open to considering it.

And here we have it:

Ducati_900_ss_B02.jpg

Above: Most "unnecessary" cross braces taken off the treillis frame, but the plastic tray holding all the electricals and electronics still in tact. The tray, however goes against the minimalist philosophy...

Ducati_900_ss_B03.jpg

Above: Tray removed, and electrical and electronic components moved. Where? I don't really know, perhaps at a push - in the seat cowl.
Now, this is what Im trying to avoid, the ripple effect...

Ducati_900_ss_B03line.jpg

Above: Another issue for me now is that the motorcycle seems to be taking on the shape of a sagging arc. Compare this with just leaving the subframe as is below: For some or other reason, visually the rear "complicated" subframe braces balance the look out IMO.

Ducati_900_ss_A03.jpg

2. Pipes

Swagger - love the idea of using peashooter style reverse cone canisters. Any idea where I could get a set? I would need a company that ships internationally.

3. Budget

sbaugz said:
wait a minute- did you say $2500 total including what you paid for bike? Nice score!
Yup :) Paid $1250.00 for it.

And its in really good nick. It hasn't been butchered at all, - it just seems like its been nicely maintained through the years. Only thing done to it seems to be a new paint job. I hope to spend around $600 on parts, and another $600 on paint and powder etc.

Tim said:
The old school Ducati logo really makes it too.

Thanks Tim. My favorite of the five (?) Ducati tank logos that I'm aware of. This one gives the motorcycle a retro feel, but still looks new enough to fit the general look I think. I may do a white stripe down the tank, fender and seat too?

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Oh, and did I mention how good it sounds?!

Cheers
Dale

Dale, it's your bike and your project and we all see things differently, but to my jaded eyes that naked look you photoshopped was just sooo much better.

What it needs though with that reverse curve is a top half fairing to draw the eye a different way and to create the classic table top look. Check out a Duc 900SS bevel fairing for ideas.

High pipes would also work to change the visual lines. Or just make the muffler angle slightly more aggressive.

Nice! I'm a Duc fan too. Have a Monster. Anyway, I would say the back is still heavy for me. Remove the passenger peg brackets, but keep the lower subframe tubes. The Photoshop version subframe was a little too light. So, something in the middle would be better.

Ah, yes, I agree on the higher pipes and maybe smaller cans. I chopped about 4" off mine and they look great. Chopping the cans is basically a no cost mod. The only thing I paid for was new decals since I had to remove and relocate them. I didn't want my ends sticking past the rear tire.

The logo is my favorite too. But maybe better in black, with a black double stripe down the tank and seat?

I like red frames though. Maybe a red clutch cover? Accent the oil filler cap red? Just some ideas thrown out there.

Nice project. Awesome find for that price.

I think this chop is the nicest, but IMHO keep the one long tube that goes from the rear of the rear to where the shock end is:

Ducati_900_ss_B03.jpg

As you have done in this chop, remove the rear footpeg mounts, and the unecessary (almost) vertical tube.

I'd lose the passenger peg loops but leave the diagonal and brace in place, you'll probably need it for support of the seat. You could easily 'flatten' the lines (avoid the arc) by dropping the sides of the seat over the frame just a bit at the back and create a more horizontal bottom boundary, that should help.

As for the Peashooters, gosh I'd imagine someone has them local to you, but since i missed it...where are you located?

Attachments

• Ducati_900_ss_A03.jpg
    Ducati_900_ss_A03.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 377
I agree with ako, if you keep the triangulation member going from the rear end down to the lower rear shock mount it might be a nice in between. I agree that all the way tripped looks a little light or weak, and I also think that the stock frame looks a bit bulky and busy. Overall I cant wait to see this baby take form! lets get a sound clip!

If you want to clean up the arched look and keep it minimal, adding a bit of additional cowling beneath the seat fairing to shroud the tail lamp on the sides could be a way to go. It'd also give you a nice, close-in place to mount turn signals directly on the bike without standoffs.

I was thinking of doing the same to my 95' SS750.
Removed all fairings, but did not like the angle of the front end, that might indeed be solved by lowering 50mm ( or sticking through the top triple )
Still wondering though where to put all the electrics which are in the original front fairing.

That is why I'm now really considering the half fairing as Union mounted, should also keep you out of the wind at 80+ Mph on the highway.
Foto-TGTSGR4A-D.jpg

Back
Top Bottom