Source for small, skinny tires

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
My little KZ250 has some awful tiny tires on it. I'm looking to keep them that way to go with the classic cafe' racer look. Where can I find small size tires?

I checked Coker's website and they didn't have anything. I have not called them....do they usually stock stuff that's not online?
Any other sources?

BTW, the tire sizes (and the modern conversion, best I can tell) are:

FR: 2.75-18 (80/90-18 or 90/90-18)
RR: 4.065-16 (120/80-16 or 110/90-16)

You can try Chaparral Motorsports.
That's where I found the 90/90-18, and 110/90-18 for my '72 Yamaha DS7.
I ended up going with the Bridgestone Spitfires. Mainly due to cost, but also because they have a sporty lookin' tread pattern but still looked "old school" enough.

avon roadriders or bridgestones come in that size... also a kenda if im not mistaken...

then theres shitty "chenshing" china tires also.

thats not that tiny! the rear is wider then the one on my 350!

i recommend the avons. tried and true by many, many, riders.

When searching for small tires, I've come across quite a few that are the right size that are listed as moped tires.

This little KZ250 will weigh less than 250 lbs, has 19 HP and will do maybe 70 MPH. Would moped tires be safe enough for it?

Just saw this. You would probably have to contact the tire manufacturer to see if moped tires would be safe. I want to say yes, but if I'm wrong it's your butt on the line.

You listed your tire sizes, but what size are the wheels? That's what you need to know.

Big Rich said:
You listed your tire sizes, but what size are the wheels? That's what you need to know.

I'll have to check my manual. The old tires are still mounted to the rims, so I can't measure or anything just yet. The tire sizes are the sizes listed in the factory Kawasaki manual.

Dude ya just gotta change your Avatar...it's distracting as hell l can't even read your post....those vinlyn boi shorts your GF is wearing freakin' crazy ...........
Redbird said:
You can try Chaparral Motorsports.
That's where I found the 90/90-18, and 110/90-18 for my '72 Yamaha DS7.
I ended up going with the Bridgestone Spitfires. Mainly due to cost, but also because they have a sporty lookin' tread pattern but still looked "old school" enough.

Big Rich said:

FR rim size: 1.60 X 18 outer width
RR rim size: 2.15 X 16 outer width

And now that I know the rear rim width, can I go with a taller, narrower rear tire?

Like many manufacturers in the early '80's, Kawasaki tried to make the little KZ look like a "cruiser"; stepped "king/queen" style seat, buckhorn handle bars, frame modified to put the tank up at an angle and...a shorter, wider rear tire. Think about what Yamaha did to the XS650 at around this same time. Exact same treatment.
I want the classic cafe' look with tall, skinny tires. Do I NEED a 4.06" wide tire on a 2.15" rim? Would something a little over 3" wide, but taller, work on that rear rim?

All good tires, BUT, lets not hate on the ChengShins. I wont buy them again based soley on the fact that they are Chinese made, and I try not to spend my money there. That said, Ive read a few reviews as of late where they have been well recieved. They (like Shinko) have bought an entirely new facility and new equipment, basically making there tires as good as any other value priced unit. For the $30 a tire, you get a bit more than ya pay for, but not too much. If your into basic commuting, and want a vintage look, they arent bad. But... They are made in China. (Lots of tires are though...)

Here's a related question. Does anyone know of a chart that tells what tire size will fit on what rim size? What's throwing me off is that the rim is measured from the inside edges of the lip, which is going to be the narrowest point, and the tire is measured at its widest width. Obviously, the two measurements aren't going to be the same, but I can't seem to find the next step in the tire-fitting process. I'm removing the ancient 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear tires from rims that are the same size, so I know I could just replace them with those sizes, or both with a 3.50x19 or whatever, but I want to know why. I like to think it's part of the same mentality that impels us to custom build our own bikes, but it's probably just OCD or something. Anyway, thanks for any info anyone can give me!

dgrady77 said:
Here's a related question. Does anyone know of a chart that tells what tire size will fit on what rim size? What's throwing me off is that the rim is measured from the inside edges of the lip, which is going to be the narrowest point, and the tire is measured at its widest width. Obviously, the two measurements aren't going to be the same, but I can't seem to find the next step in the tire-fitting process. I'm removing the ancient 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear tires from rims that are the same size, so I know I could just replace them with those sizes, or both with a 3.50x19 or whatever, but I want to know why. I like to think it's part of the same mentality that impels us to custom build our own bikes, but it's probably just OCD or something. Anyway, thanks for any info anyone can give me!

Do you mean a chart like this?
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Nice one Rich. That's a great start and will work most of the time.

I found that some tires with the same nominal size require different rims. Bridgestone list rims for their tires, as do AVON.

Ya, normally I like to add "ultimately it's up to the tire manufacturers to say if a specified tire will fit".......but I was tired when I posted that earlier.

Hagon's chart was much easier to read. It's a shame their site is down.

Back
Top Bottom