Seafoam down spark plug holes?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've been doing a lot of searching and can't quite find this exact scenario/question.

I have a bike that's been running really rich and has some carbon build up on the piston tops. I'll be addressing the rich running and giving it a full tune-up, but I was wondering if I could squirt a little SeaFoam down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a bit to loosen the carbon. Then, fire it up and run it for a bit before changing the oil.

Just a one time thing to try to help loosen and remove some of the carbon without doing a tear down. It's not horrible carbon, but could definitely stand to be cleaned out if possible.

Try it with the engine running, but use the vacuum ports in the carbs and a hose. Suck the sea foam out of the bottle just a little at a time (it should sound like someone finishing up a milk shake with a straw) and try not to fully submerge the hose.

some carbon buildup is actually beneficial it helps to insulate the combustion chamber and piston form absorbing too much heat
i really don't think it is a good idea creating a solution of abrasive carbon and thin oil that will make its way between the rings it could possibly start scoring the bore
there are methods to introduce a substance into the intake while an engine is running that are perpateted to clean out carbon de-pozits

I would say squirt the seafoam with a spray bottle down the carbs instead. Do it while its running. this way it cleans the carbs too.

I ruined a civic engine once from pouring too much seafoam down the cylinders and revving it too high to for long and fried the rings. it was stupid and I was way to hard on the engine.

What happened to good old steam cleaning? Ever seen how clean a chamber is with coolant leaking in it?

Back
Top Bottom