F*@k it !

el_simo

Zi goggles, Zey do Nothing !!
Getting pissed off from not being able to remove my oil seals & being just back from work I decided I would finish the job on my forks once and for all. Using a tyre iron and plenty of rags, for dampening force and protecting the forks I went to work on it. I cut some small nicks in the seal with a dremel tool to help with the removal (nothin too major). With the fork in a vice again wrapped in rags I was able to remove the seal with a little persausion. Problem now is Ive gone and damaged the fork! Ive bent the rim slightly and have caused a small crack. I really dont want to be spending money on replacing this. Im thinking a sleeve of some sort and some liquid metal glue might do the trick. Any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Si

Attachments

• Fork1.jpg
    Fork1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 168
  • Fork2.jpg
    Fork2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Fork3.jpg
    Fork3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 168
That has to be a PERFECT seal. you may be able to take it to a pro welder and have it fixed, but youre better off getting a new lower.

What bike is it? I bet someone on here or on EBay has a cheap ass one.

For future reference, I've always had decent luck driving a screw into the seal carefully and then pulling it up and out.

Its a '72 DS7 so RD parts should fit it. Pissed off ive to spend more money ! Its been lying up for well over 10 years maybe 15 so I said it was best off I change the seals.

Tim said:
For future reference, I've always had decent luck driving a screw into the seal carefully and then pulling it up and out.

Cool thanks Tim ill try that on the other fork. With hindsight it seems common sense !

BOIL IT!! no joke...stick the seal end for your fork lower in a pot of boiling water...the metal expands and releases the seal. You find it takes 1/10th the effort to get them out.

Sorry you bent these up!! :'( :'(

Cheers lads,

The other one came out easy enough with no damage thank God ! Ill keep those tips in mind for any future project I decide to curse myself with !

Which leg is it? I have a spare set from my DS7.

And I got creative when replacing the seals in mine. I took an old broomstick and cut it down so that when inserted into the leg it would stick out the top by about a 1/2". I used it as a fulcrum to gently pry the old seals out, instead of putting any pressure on the rim of the leg.

Redbird said:

And I got creative when replacing the seals in mine. I took an old broomstick and cut it down so that when inserted into the leg it would stick out the top by about a 1/2". I used it as a fulcrum to gently pry the old seals out, instead of putting any pressure on the rim of the leg.

Good tip! Thanks!

Redbird said:

Hey Red great tip yeah thanks a million ! Its the right leg I believe I havent been home all weekend but Ill double check ! Wow that would be great man ! Thanks

Si

Gave the fork an ad hoc repair job. Got some metal epoxy n gave it a few coats then got to reworking the tube end back into shape. When the seal goes back in I reckon it might just hold....

130820111325-1.jpg

030820111297.jpg

030820111298.jpg

Back to a circular fork tube !

Back
Top Bottom