3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build

Got the trees, risers, and speedometer mount powdered tonight.
36992122273_ea134db368_b.jpg

spectacular work on the PC, inspiring me to have the garage (when it gets built) wired for an oven and spraybooth , as well as the beer fridge and all the other essential needs

Thanks guys... I'm pretty happy with how its heading. I put the yokes and forks together last night and I'm not digging the short Harley risers with the single top clamp. I ordered a set of 1" risers. That'll look better I think.

Spotty... I use a PC gun from Eastwood and toaster oven for small parts, bigger parts go in the upstairs oven. I made a little spray booth in the basement with a squirrel cage fan to keep the PC overspray under control. You'll make back your investment with your first batch of parts. And you seriously can't screw up if you are careful.

How are you prepping the pieces for powder ? I have used a cheap HF gun and got results way better than I ever expected.

3DogNate said:
Thanks guys... I'm pretty happy with how its heading. I put the yokes and forks together last night and I'm not digging the short Harley risers with the single top clamp. I ordered a set of 1" risers. That'll look better I think.

Spotty... I use a PC gun from Eastwood and toaster oven for small parts, bigger parts go in the upstairs oven. I made a little spray booth in the basement with a squirrel cage fan to keep the PC overspray under control. You'll make back your investment with your first batch of parts. And you seriously can't screw up if you are careful.

Can you post some pix of your setup?

Man those parts look great....

1fasgsxr said:
How are you prepping the pieces for powder ? I have used a cheap HF gun and got results way better than I ever expected.

I bead blast them in an HF bench top blast cabinet. (which I don't recommend if you can support a free standing cabinet... the chute on the small one really isn't steep enough to keep the media down otherwise its great... anyone that mods bikes regular should be doing a ton of their own powder work... it's brainless and requires low effort for good results. I have to take frames, wheels, swing arms, handlebars (most) out to be done. I don't get good results with multi layered PC at home either. So if I want something powdered then candied or cleared... that stuff gets taken to a real powder coat shop. Their equipment is far more capable. But this single color stuff... rock on at home.

Lookin good!

And I agree powder all the way!
I've done up to 19" wheels, they fit just barely in my oven!

Got the new RSD LED cluster installed in the Speedo housing and wired into the stock harness... Easy peasy. Next up today I am going to hack up the headlight bucket and weld on a grill to the ring that I scored on ebay, gotta think about the best way to do that.

I built an oven from an old small freezer just right for wheels, but I can't get my controller figured out :mad:

1fasgsxr said:
I built an oven from an old small freezer just right for wheels, but I can't get my controller figured out :mad:

If I had a big dedicated shop, I'd draw up a plan and have a sheetmetal shop bend me up a the metal for an oven that would accomodate things up to frame size with a rolling rack system for loading. And step up my blasting cabinet a bit too.

one of the awesome parts of sportsters is there is literally no end to the farkles you can buy. That new clock and lights is nice!

doc_rot said:
one of the awesome parts of sportsters is there is literally no end to the farkles you can buy. That new clock and lights is nice!

You aren't kidding... Yeah the speedo housing and LEDs are Roland Sands units... I couldn't get past 'em and had to have 'em... not cheap but groovy and mine are the only ones in that color so... win. I scored a barely used set of Roland Sands pre-load adjusters on ebay for less than half the price of new ones. Which is cool... Also a set of RSD foot pegs... It's unplanned but I'm evidently destined to have a ton of RSD parts on this bike as I'll likely have a Roland Sands scrambler exhaust. I just don't think I'll have the energy to build a set from scratch. My handlebar can't fit in my oven so I had to drop that off at the powder coater this morning. I don't need a flashy piece of chrome jumping out.

Nothing to really show off right now... I've sold off most of the major take-offs from the Sporty. Tins, Wheels+Tires and Exhaust all that is really left. Oh and a Stage 1 intake.

But I got a used rear spoke hub off eBay and got that thing powder coated and installed new bearings. (Factory bearing removal was most fussy....) I was able to drop both hubs off at my wheel guy today, he already had my tires in... should have my hoop/spoke order from Buchanan any day. Got the new risers in also... not sure I like em any better than the others... might stick with the factory risers. Dropped the handlebar off at the PC shop and should have that.... fingers crossed I'll have the front end finished next week and can focus on the rear end.

Love seeing a Sporty being de-cruiserised. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

What you got going on here is looking great bud.

Man I've got a 2000 Sportster Sport edition sitting in my garage waiting for a buyer. Reading your thread and your plans is almost - almost - giving me second thoughts about pulling the ad! Will be following your thread with much interest and enthusiasm - looks great so far

Thanks for the props guys.

I swung by the shop and my wheel guy John was busy lacing and truing up my rear wheel and getting ready to start on the front. It's good to have a true old school motor head that has done nothing but work on motorcycles for nearly 50 years. John's the best wheel guy in area for sure. These Excel rims are gonna look and perform awesome... I also have my chain conversion and rear shocks on the way. I went with 15" Burly Stiletto shocks. I have some more powder coating to do this weekend in anticipation of getting the front end done next week.

Nothing looks better than spoked wheels imo. Just plain sexy!

So I got some more powder coating done tonight while still waiting on some parts and my wheels to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom