Who rides with Headphones?

I like riding the GT with my ipod shuffle with foam ear buds. Mostly metal like Lamb of God, Pantara and some newer stuff! With the Termi's sans the baffles I can hear what the bike is doing pretty well. With the other bikes I should be listening for strange noises!!

SONIC. said:
Just recently I got some Etymotic MC5's and HOLY SHIT. This just changed the whole riding experience.
They are basically ear plugs with speakers built in. They function just as well as foam ear plugs, and I can hear music all the way down to the lowest click on my phone even cruising at 70. Wind noise is no longer an issue, and overall riding is much more enjoyable.

Anyway just wanted to share in case anyone else wanted some awesome headphones and see if anyone else is with me or if you're all anti-music while riding?

Thanks for that link Sonic. I'm planning a 3200 mile round trip next Summer to Sturgis on my Bonneville. It's pretty quiet, but the wind noise is still there at hiway speeds.There's a lot of desolate stretches of road between Central Cal and South Dakota. Having something to listen to would be good, and these seems pretty unintrusive

After my 10 hour ride to the Gorge in May, I was wishing I had worn earplugs. I think some tight fitting earbuds like you recommended would do the trick. I can't wear apple earbuds even without a helmet because they just fall out of my big ears. Helmet mounted headphones seem like they would have to be loud in order to hear them over the rest of the noise.

I wouldn't mind wearing headphones on a long ride as I can't really hear much anyway over the sound of my bike and the wind. I know you can still hear sirens and stuff through earplugs. If I had some tight fitting earbuds, I wouldn't have the music up very loud. Just loud enough to hear.

Mike Lawless said:
Thanks for that link Sonic. I'm planning a 3200 mile round trip next Summer to Sturgis on my Bonneville. It's pretty quiet, but the wind noise is still there at highway speeds.There's a lot of desolate stretches of road between Central Cal and South Dakota. Having something to listen to would be good, and these seems pretty unintrusive

They really are.
Just for the hell of it yesterday I listened to part of an audiobook. At low volume I had no trouble hearing it, would be awesome for interstate cruising. I always listen to books on long road trips. I would have to test it out though, as I tend to zone out listening to them and driving so maybe on a bike not such a good idea :-\

Flug,
I don't think I'll ever ride any distance without them again. Like I said, game changer.

SONIC. said:
They really are.
Just for the hell of it yesterday I listened to part of an audiobook. At low volume I had no trouble hearing it, would be awesome for interstate cruising. I always listen to books on long road trips. I would have to test it out though, as I tend to zone out listening to them and driving so maybe on a bike not such a good idea :-\

That's what I had in mind also. I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History".

The price on the earphones are low enough to be worth the experiment. Although there were some comments about marginal fit with a helmet. Still worth the gamble I think.

Thanks again.

Flug, I have a problem with most earplugs being too small. I get free earplugs at work and we get a good variety to choose from. There is only one type that we get that offer an real protection for people with large ear canals. If you want, I can mail some down to you.

Mike Lawless said:
That's what I had in mind also. I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History".

The price on the earphones are low enough to be worth the experiment. Although there were some comments about marginal fit with a helmet. Still worth the gamble I think.

Thanks again.

They do stick out a bit from your ear even when well seated, so if your helmet really hugs your ears then you might have an issue?
Like any earbuds it's a paint taking the helmet on and off, but for long trips when you only remove it every couple of hours I don't mind.

Yeah I pop my iPhone headphones in every once in a while. Sometimes I feel like it, and others I just like listening to my bike. The IPhone 5s headphones work pretty good for drowning out noises, and I don't have to have to volume all the way up to hear it either!

Joey

I need to look into those. I use ear buds on long trips of freeway like Barber 1800 miles over 2 days just to get there and poor fitting buds suck. I use earplugs if not listening to music so these might work for both. I did find a set of nike that hook over my ears and stay in fairly well taking helmet off and on but still need to have the music player way up in volume to hear it.

Rich, thanks for the offer. Earplugs aren't normally a problem for me. Those expanding foam ones seem to work OK. It is the earbud headphones that don't fit. Never bothered to find any that fit better since I prefer over-the-ear ones.

Here's the Bluetooth setup I bought that I mentioned earlier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Sports-Mobile-Phone-Bluetooth-Helmet-HeadsetNN-/201163728433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed64ae631

At least it looks identical to the one I got. It is basically a Chinese clone of the Bluetooth made for Nolan helmets. It bolted right onto my helmet, but it does have a universal mount as well.

I think once you guys go with a Bluetooth setup, you'll never want to wear earbuds again for music on the bike......

Big Rich said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Sports-Mobile-Phone-Bluetooth-Helmet-HeadsetNN-/201163728433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed64ae631

At least it looks identical to the one I got. It is basically a Chinese clone of the Bluetooth made for Nolan helmets. It bolted right onto my helmet, but it does have a universal mount as well.

I think once you guys go with a Bluetooth setup, you'll never want to wear earbuds again for music on the bike......

Nope :D
I had the TORK in helmet headphones (still have them actually) and didn't really like them. No wind noise reduction and when wearing earplugs the music wasn't loud enough.
I have bad hearing :eek:
I may grab a bluetooth module for my earbuds though just to eliminate the wire.

Between wind noise, how loud my Harley is, and years of shooting guns, I opt to just wear ear plugs. But I also entertain myself. Maybe I should Moto-Vlog.....Nahhh

gearhead231 said:
Between wind noise, how loud my Harley is, and years of shooting guns, I opt to just wear ear plugs. But I also entertain myself. Maybe I should Moto-Vlog.....Nahhh

I hear ya on the Harley thing.....sorta.

I'm a huge music collector, even worked in a record store for 6+ years. So as much as I like music, I still don't wear headphones: when I ride my motorcycles, my bike, my skateboards, or when I walk. I don't judge anyone who does, but I personally like to know what's going on around me. I'm not too comfortable with how much of the environment around me they drown out. I do, however, think some of the stereo systems these guys install in their Gold Wings can be pretty amazing.

Going to give these a try. I don't mind my earbuds but this bluetooth setup seems like it would be pretty sweet. I always go cheap on the earphones as I break everything. The price of this setup is worth the try.

Big Rich said:

Back
Top Bottom