laceing and truing question/help me

redred5389

okay so i just got my wheel lace by this local shop. and i fell like they bs me because their is still alot of thread on the spoke. how do i check if they did it correct. i match some pictures and the lacing looks correct. can anyone help tell me if they did their job correct please.

Attachments

• IMG_7828.jpg
    IMG_7828.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7818.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7823.jpg
    IMG_7823.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 198
Those look like stainless spokes. Did you or did the shop supply them? They look like they're a bit short. Only way to tell is to install it in your forks and spin the wheel. Then check the nipples with a spoke wrench.

You can check the side-to-side using a machinist's dial. Allowable spec is 1/8", if I remember correctly, but if you take your time, 1/16" is even better. You won't be able to check the runout with the rubber on there.

One thing to check and is easy to do it to hang the wheel on wire from something and tap each spoke with a small wrench or other metal object. They should all have the same sound to them. If some are high pitched while others are low (or even worse, just a "thud") take it back and have them do it again.

Not all shops employ or have access to a good wheel builder. It's a disappearing skill.

Having thread remaining is alright. My stock spokes had thread remaining. I recently replaced the spokes on my bike, and some of them have thread remaining. I would be more concerned if they ground down the spokes poking through the nipples...that can cause a flat in a hurry if the spokes were not ground down to the top of the nipples. No way of telling unless the rubber is off.

drj i got them from buchanan spokes.

im just lil nervous about riding in it. i'm probably going to go take it to another shop and have them check it just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom