My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

John the best advice I can give you is ;D take a short drive to garden grove and see Roger at Wickedatv he is one great tuner and I am sure he can school you 8) give him a call 714-530-2215

cobraace2 said:
John the best advice I can give you is ;D take a short drive to garden grove and see Roger at Wickedatv he is one great tuner and I am sure he can school you 8) give him a call 714-530-2215

I don't give up easily ;D but it might come to that, thanks for the info thats not too far from me!

Re: Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

johnu said:
I don't give up easily ;D but it might come to that, thanks for the info thats not too far from me!

I think you will figure it out with people's help here. I only got good with carb tuning because I was obsessed with it on my yz 250 2t.

Ok I just ordered 25's and 45's pilot jets (currently have 35's), that way I can try either going richer or leaner and see what makes a difference then fine tune from there.... hopefully :)

My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

John, don't the pilot jets come in increments of 2.5? You might find jumping 4 sizes in 1 change too dramatic.

Yes they do but I wanted to make a big jump just to find out which direction to go then scale it back from there. That's my plan at least, hopefully it's a good plan :)

johnu said:
Yes they do but I wanted to make a big jump just to find out which direction to go then scale it back from there. That's my plan at least, hopefully it's a good plan :)

Start with the 45. If it starts well and the mixture screw actually does something you're on the right track. If the 25 has a hard time starting, do 2 throttle pumps an try. If that doesn't work hold the throttle barely open and try. If either of those methods work. Take out the 25 and don't look back.

If neither of those methods work give up on the 25 cause your either wearing out the starter or your leg trying.. :)

Re: Re: Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

Did you weigh the bike yet? Despite it feels light of thinking your weight estimation is a little ambitious..

My Buell is 395 and it feels like im moving a bicycle in the garage compared to my kz and gpz.

HollywoodMX said:
Start with the 45. If it starts well and the mixture screw actually does something you're on the right track. If the 25 has a hard time starting, do 2 throttle pumps an try. If that doesn't work hold the throttle barely open and try. If either of those methods work. Take out the 25 and don't look back.

If neither of those methods work give up on the 25 cause your either wearing out the starter or your leg trying.. :)

Haha thanks for the info, i will get this sorted out with all the help I am getting here. Its much appreciated!

HollywoodMX said:
Did you weigh the bike yet? Despite it feels light of thinking your weight estimation is a little ambitious..

My Buell is 395 and it feels like im moving a bicycle in the garage compared to my kz and gpz.

Just weighed each end today 158lb rear and 161lb front so it adds up to 319lb not sure how accurate that is! I was sure it was lighter than that, my KTM is 228lb and it doesn't feel a lot different ot the Suzuki. Must be the weight is higher up on the KTM :)

johnu said:
Just weighed each end today 158lb rear and 161lb front so it adds up to 319lb not sure how accurate that is! I was sure it was lighter than that, my KTM is 228lb and it doesn't feel a lot different ot the Suzuki. Must be the weight is higher up on the KTM :)

It's probably close enough.. Lol. Where the weight is is carried makes a big difference an interferes with Human estimating. The Buell carries it's gas in the frame and the oil in the swingarm then the exhaust under the engine. It feels like 325 but still is 395 with the overweight v twin.

If I am correct, that's over 100 lbs of weight loss!

Finally picked up my pilot jets this week :) Tried the 45's first and it still ran about the same, idle was high though when I started it. So I put the 25's in and I had to turn the idle up when it started, it ran quite a bit better (with air srew 1.5 turns out). So next I played with the air screw but it is still very difficult to detect any change in the way the engine is running, it didn't stall or rev up no matter which way I turned the screws. So I set them at half a turn out and rode it and this made it run worse. Then I set them at 2.5 turns out and that made it run better than any other setting so far. It is still not wanting to pull cleanly when you first pull away then suddenly it takes off. What should I do next to clean it up even more?

Check to make sure your coils and motor are grounded well to the iggy.
I had a suspect ground to my coils and the bike would idle fine putt around ok but as soon as the pipe started building pressure, it would fizzle out.

Walms said:
Check to make sure your coils and motor are grounded well to the iggy.
I had a suspect ground to my coils and the bike would idle fine putt around ok but as soon as the pipe started building pressure, it would fizzle out.

I will check but they should be ok as I sanded paint off all of the ground points when I built everything up :) I think I am going to go down one lower on the pilot jet to a 22.5 and see if that makes it better. I really think that's the right direction, must be worth a try anyway ;D

johnu said:
Finally picked up my pilot jets this week :) Tried the 45's first and it still ran about the same, idle was high though when I started it. So I put the 25's in and I had to turn the idle up when it started, it ran quite a bit better (with air srew 1.5 turns out). So next I played with the air screw but it is still very difficult to detect any change in the way the engine is running, it didn't stall or rev up no matter which way I turned the screws. So I set them at half a turn out and rode it and this made it run worse. Then I set them at 2.5 turns out and that made it run better than any other setting so far. It is still not wanting to pull cleanly when you first pull away then suddenly it takes off. What should I do next to clean it up even more?

Ok John how does it run above 4000 rpm. If it runs good maybe you should talk to Eric about how wild he got on the porting ;D As you start to port any 2stroke you start to loose drive ability down low :( that's why a lot of guys install reeds to get some of that back

johnu said:

You have a good selection of jets to at least point you in the right direction. I'm leaning to what the cobra is saying. The porting must be interfering with things.

I have an idea. Can you make custom washers that sit between your pods and your carbs. Your goal is to create more pressure by restricting the airflow. A easy trick is to cut the tops off a soda can. With the drink tab fully removed pointed towards the floor. That make sense?

Try that and try your range of pilot jets to see if they start providing you a direction.

Also are you sure you absolutely sure you have no vacuum leaks? Have you done the spray test?

I don't see how restricting the intake makes sense?
Was the motor ported by someone who knows what he's doing? To suspect its the porting at this point would make me a bit concerned.
Was the combustion chamber cut to bring the compression back after raising the ports?
If it were me, I'd want to know the port timing and compression before even starting the bike.

John, Fantastic build. Really like the pipes. From everything you have reported so far, you have been and still are rich on the pilots. Have to admit, seems odd as you are pretty small now. Couple of things. Are you still running your vent lines and can? Remove this if so, at least until you get it sorted. Also, where are the jets from? Get some authentic Mikuni jets if yours are not the real McCoy. Some replicas can be way off. Otherwise, go through and re check all the obvious stuff for leaks and proper assembly. If you have not had the carbs apart completely, maybe you should just to be sure the is no restriction in the pilot air system. Also, check the emulsion tube style. If it is solid, you may want to consider going to the alternative type with the vertical columns of holes. Down the road though, as you should get it closer first. Lastly, there is absolutely no question as to how profoundly the pipes and porting can afflict the low end. I recall a drag motor I built a long time ago much like yours. Big carbs, very heavy porting on a piston port motor, and pipes aimed at max power and high rpm. Wicked power (10's on an AC 350), but absolutely no idle below 2500rpm. VERY hard to start with the kick, but easy if you got the motor to spin up to 2500! At Idle, you would have fuel dripping off your hand if you held it near the intake. This thing was as lean as I could get the low speed circuit, but the tuning made the reverse air flow through the carbs so bad at low revs that it was essentially double and triple dipping the low speed system and making it super rich a low speed revs. I remember similar no effect on the air screws like you are having. You could actually see a fog hanging in front of the carbs at "idle"! Looks like your situation is far less severe, but there may be only so much you can do. There is a reason for restrictive reed valves! At the end of the day, looks like you have had definite improvement going leaner. Needing 2 1/2 turns out of air to see effect means you are still too rich, or there is something besides jetting making it so. One last thing. Forget all the carb tuning except for the mains until you are happy with them. Get the mains right first, as they (like all the other parts) do in fact effect the entire rev range to some degree. If the mains are rich, it may seem to run pretty good because the lower revs are so awful. Forget that. Get the wide open very close first. There is no sense in compounding the much more difficult low end and drivability tuning on a two stroke!

best

Back
Top Bottom