Welding Gas Tanks

Welding is a art....

I have to use grinding discs to finish my welds...

These guys don’t!

https://twistedsifter-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/welds-by-scott-raabe-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

https://twistedsifter-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/welds-by-scott-raabe-10.jpg

crazypj said:
I'd heard they were good, friend had one but was a pretty shitty weldor (weldor is the person, welder is the machinery - todays English lesson 8) ) He never got good welds with it but more to his lack of skill. Personally I never tried it, he didn't want me doing better welds than him (wouldn't be difficult). I got a microtorch a few years ago (before they were made in China for $45.00 ::) ) Works OK on anything over 0.010" thick, maybe thinner but I haven't tried it.
Over the years I've found good regulators are worth the money as they will hold a constant LOW pressure (4 psi or less) The best ones have all been two stage though, single stage regulators always have a problem at real low or real high pressure in my experience.
Stainless steel is real difficult to gas weld paricularly if you can't use inert gas inside a tube, it can look good but is almost always porous, if it looks like a metal sponge, it is ;D
Youre not really supposed to weld stainless with acetylene, but its handy to know in a pinch!

morgs88 said:
https://twistedsifter-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/welds-by-scott-raabe-10.jpg

I dont really get how one can weld that cold. I would get fired for welding too slow to get those colors, or weld in an argon box. Or have someone hold a gas nozzle on the welds.

datadavid said:
Youre not really supposed to weld stainless with acetylene, but its handy to know in a pinch!

true. I've seen guys repairing stainless headers with O/A way at race events. you just need the right flux.

A little more practice today. My torch is an original Dillion and must be 30yrs old at least. It was given to me by a sewing machine mechanic who said he couldn't get it to work. Guess the issue was reliably holding the regulators to 4psi. Some info I picked up in the torch design.
The original design by an Australian named Ed Dillon (a coppersmith), tired of driving miles to refill his tanks, sets out to develop a more efficient O/A torch.

Ed Dillion's torch performed better than traditional torches and began selling the torch in Australia and Europe under the name Dillion.

I made up a trolley today for the O/A setup. Welded a perimeter onto the base tray to help hold the bottles. The perimeter was 1mm and the tray 2mm mild steal. It welded easily with a very small heat affected zone and absolutely no distortion.

Understand, but if you are limited to one system then O/A appears to be the best compromise. By the way the Dillion manual states no flux is required for stainless. In the attached photo, when the flame is correct (carburising), O/A is capable of good welds with stainless.
The biggest issue is the person holding the torch! And this person needs a lot more practice.

Attachments

• Oxy trolley.jpg
    Oxy trolley.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Base tray weld.jpg
    Base tray weld.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Base tray top.jpg
    Base tray top.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 200
  • SS304 Welds.jpg
    SS304 Welds.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 467
I bought a Dillon many years ago and although happy with the reduced gas consumption and minimal distortion could never really get used to the shape of the handle and reverted to my faithful Colt 22 which I have used ever since. Perhaps I should get it out of its storage box and give it another go....

I am clearly late to this thread, but it’s a topic I might actually be able to help with...
I have quite a bit of experience making tanks, fenders, body panels etc. been doing it regularly for about 5 years now. I own tig, mig, oxy/acet and arc machines. Most people insist that you need a tig machine, but it’s simply not true. When welding fuel tanks, or any body panel for that matter, gas welding is as good as tig welding. Oxy/acet welding actually has some advantages over tig for this type of work, especially on aluminum, which is why you will see high end coach builders using this process. It’s a little more difficult to learn, but you’ll end up a better welder, and save a ton of cash.

Has anyone already explained the advantages? If not I’d be happy to, but I don’t want to beat a dead horse if I missed it posted already.

And nice job on the welding cart

ncologerojr said:
I am clearly late to this thread, but it’s a topic I might actually be able to help with...
I have quite a bit of experience making tanks, fenders, body panels etc. been doing it regularly for about 5 years now. I own tig, mig, oxy/acet and arc machines. Most people insist that you need a tig machine, but it’s simply not true. When welding fuel tanks, or any body panel for that matter, gas welding is as good as tig welding. Oxy/acet welding actually has some advantages over tig for this type of work, especially on aluminum, which is why you will see high end coach builders using this process. It’s a little more difficult to learn, but you’ll end up a better welder, and save a ton of cash.

Has anyone already explained the advantages? If not I’d be happy to, but I don’t want to beat a dead horse if I missed it posted already.

And nice job on the welding cart

Feel free to elaborate!

Just because I have a lot of sitting time on my hands (had an accident and need to rest) I cut up an old fantic gas tank yesterday.
Its a really interesting process to think before you cut, my goal is to widen and maybe stretch the gas tank.Thinking about all the steel sheet pieces I need to cut in order to make it work makes me nauseaus :)...but thats exactly what I was looking for!its like a 3D puzzle for men...and at this point i don´t really care if I fail or not...a steep learning curve!
The tank was nearly free and has minimal rust on the inside.
Unfortunately my mini-angle grinder shat his pants half way trough...so I need to wait for a new one.

I live on these Ron Fournier videos. LOL. I still haven't had the nerve to fork out for the sheet and whatnot to try aluminum from scratch, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXXE2Os8N0

Without getting too technical, here are some advantages of gas welding when it come to this type of work.
To start, for both steel and aluminum, gas welding is going to yield a softer and more malleable weld joint when compared to the gtaw (tig) process. A little more so with aluminum than steel. Why is this beneficial? For two reasons. One is a more malleable weld joint is going to be less prone to cracking due to vibration. Again, more so with aluminum. The second reason for wanting a malleable weld is for planishing after welding. This is how you correct the distortion caused by the shrinking of the weld bead. Planishing, in very basic form, is when you hammer the weld against a dolly causing the weld area to stretch thus correcting the welds shrink-distortion. This is part of the metal finishing process.

Another benefit of gas welding aluminum has to do with the backside of the weld bead. I don’t have a picture on hand, but if you run a TIG bead along an aluminum butt joint and look at the backside you will likely see a line running right along the joint. Especially in thin body weight aluminum (.063-.090”). This is cause by impurities, mostly from the shielding gas. If you were to take this panel and bend it back and forth along that weld, it will break. Now, if you use your tig torch to run a simple fusion-weld along the backside of the joint you’re good to go. No problem. This isn’t an issue if you can get to the backside of the weld. But, if you’re welding on a fuel tank you’re going to have a problem. Gas welding will not have this issue and yield a solid bead with one pass. If you search the Cycle Source tech archives, Will Ramsey from Faith Forgotten Choppers wrote a great article about this. While you’re at it, read all of Will articles!

Now, this isn’t to say that you can’t use TIG on panels. World class metal shapers do it all the time, I still do it sometimes. There are many advantages in efficiency. But, with experience comes knowledge of the applications and you choose your preferred process.

Hope this wasn’t too long-winded.

irk miller said:
I live on these Ron Fournier videos. LOL. I still haven't had the nerve to fork out for the sheet and whatnot to try aluminum from scratch, though.
+1
I haven't had time or money either though

XS750AU said:
A little more practice today. My torch is an original Dillion and must be 30yrs old at least. It was given to me by a sewing machine mechanic who said he couldn't get it to work. Guess the issue was reliably holding the regulators to 4psi. Some info I picked up in the torch design.
I made up a trolley today for the O/A setup. Welded a perimeter onto the base tray to help hold the bottles. The perimeter was 1mm and the tray 2mm mild steal. It welded easily with a very small heat affected zone and absolutely no distortion.
Understand, but if you are limited to one system then O/A appears to be the best compromise. By the way the Dillion manual states no flux is required for stainless. In the attached photo, when the flame is correct (carburising), O/A is capable of good welds with stainless.
The biggest issue is the person holding the torch! And this person needs a lot more practice.
I gotta find me one of those dillon torches, thats for sure! Flux is for soldering/brazing, not welding. Silver soldering stainless is a pita, i even prefer just oxy welding it if it comes to that, silver creates beautiful joints though!

ncologerojr said:
Without getting too technical, here are some advantages of gas welding when it come to this type of work.
To start, for both steel and aluminum, gas welding is going to yield a softer and more malleable weld joint when compared to the gtaw (tig) process. A little more so with aluminum than steel. Why is this beneficial? For two reasons. One is a more malleable weld joint is going to be less prone to cracking due to vibration. Again, more so with aluminum. The second reason for wanting a malleable weld is for planishing after welding. This is how you correct the distortion caused by the shrinking of the weld bead. Planishing, in very basic form, is when you hammer the weld against a dolly causing the weld area to stretch thus correcting the welds shrink-distortion. This is part of the metal finishing process.

Another benefit of gas welding aluminum has to do with the backside of the weld bead. I don’t have a picture on hand, but if you run a TIG bead along an aluminum butt joint and look at the backside you will likely see a line running right along the joint. Especially in thin body weight aluminum (.063-.090”). This is cause by impurities, mostly from the shielding gas. If you were to take this panel and bend it back and forth along that weld, it will break. Now, if you use your tig torch to run a simple fusion-weld along the backside of the joint you’re good to go. No problem. This isn’t an issue if you can get to the backside of the weld. But, if you’re welding on a fuel tank you’re going to have a problem. Gas welding will not have this issue and yield a solid bead with one pass. If you search the Cycle Source tech archives, Will Ramsey from Faith Forgotten Choppers wrote a great article about this. While you’re at it, read all of Will articles!

Now, this isn’t to say that you can’t use TIG on panels. World class metal shapers do it all the time, I still do it sometimes. There are many advantages in efficiency. But, with experience comes knowledge of the applications and you choose your preferred process.

Hope this wasn’t too long-winded.
What filler do you use for gas welding aluminium? I suspect its basically zinc soldering we are talking about.
What most amateurs dont know, is that you can create a superior tig joint in alloy, using ArHe(argon/helium) mix for backing and shielding gas, quite expensive process and not necessary for hobby use. The helium creates 50% deeper penetration at the same amperage, and when used as backing gas it will help create a solid butt weld(if everything is clean and brushed to thin out the passive layer. I dont weld much alloy as its toxic as hell.

I use both O/A and tig for welding aluminium. For O/A I use a low temp pure aluminium filler rod, aluminium welding flux (needs to be thoroughly cleaned afterwards) and goggles with special aluminium lenses. As mentioned previously, the penetration is much better which is a big plus if the joint is filed or sanded round after welding. Additionally, there is no "halo" around the weld, which shows up in tig after anodising or polishing, no porosity, and no need for clinical cleaning of the weld area prior to welding as is required for tig.

Pete12 said:
I use both O/A and tig for welding aluminium. For O/A I use a low temp pure aluminium filler rod, aluminium welding flux (needs to be thoroughly cleaned afterwards) and goggles with special aluminium lenses. As mentioned previously, the penetration is much better which is a big plus if the joint is filed or sanded round after welding. Additionally, there is no "halo" around the weld, which shows up in tig after anodising or polishing, no porosity, and no need for clinical cleaning of the weld area prior to welding as is required for tig.
Now is where you put up the link to the gas filler rods. Pure aluminium? No... useless mechanical properties, too soft.
If you use flux you are soldering.
Halo=HAZ

datadavid said:
What filler do you use for gas welding aluminium? I suspect its basically zinc soldering we are talking about.
What most amateurs dont know, is that you can create a superior tig joint in alloy, using ArHe(argon/helium) mix for backing and shielding gas, quite expensive process and not necessary for hobby use. The helium creates 50% deeper penetration at the same amperage, and when used as backing gas it will help create a solid butt weld(if everything is clean and brushed to thin out the passive layer. I dont weld much alloy as its toxic as hell.

I shape with 3003 H14 aluminum and o/a weld with 1100 tig rod and aluminum welding flux. This is pretty much the standard for any metal-shaper/coachbuilder.

datadavid said:
Now is where you put up the link to the gas filler rods. Pure aluminium? No... useless mechanical properties, too soft.
If you use flux you are soldering.
Halo=HAZ

I’m sorry, but you’re wrong. 1100 filler rod is the standard for most aluminum coach building work, and that is damn close to pure. The soft malleable nature provides the strength.
When o/a welding you use an aluminum welding flux, you do not want to try and beat on a soldered joint. Also, you would see a soldered joint when metal finished because when you are not melting the parent material.
Here is an in-progress pic of a iank I was recently making. It has two O/A welds running along the top.

bb91ee9c4bd91edf039fce12f7b6bda4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom