78 kz400 cafe build

What color should I paint my headlight bucket?????

• Red

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • White

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Silver with red and white stripes (match tank)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MILLENNIUM FALCON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
This is my 78 kz400 6-speed cafe build. I bough this bike for $100 awhile ago but just started working on it. I am working on some rearsets and clip ons. I already drilled the rotor and started working on the seat. I just started stripping and mounting the 72' cb350f tank. I tried my hand at knee dents and it went pretty well. The tank had alot of other dents before I started. I will try to post pictures as I go.
011-2.jpg
006-7.jpg
005-6.jpg

Attachments

• cafe 001.JPG
    cafe 001.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 738
  • cafe 002.JPG
    cafe 002.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 867
  • cafe 003.JPG
    cafe 003.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 665
  • cafe 004.JPG
    cafe 004.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 687
Another 400. Awesome! There a ton of KZ's poppin up on here lately.

It's a fun bike, keep us posted!

I just finished mounting the tank. I think it will look much more vintage than the stock tank. I used a slide hammer to get out most of the old dents. I started smoothing out my knee dents with fiberglass filler.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 615
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 611
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 577
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 636
I cut out the blanks for my ankle gaurds and mounted them. I put c-clamps on them to act as pegs to figure out where I was going to mount them. I got everything mounted. Now I just need turn and knurl the pegs once I part them to length. I dont know If I want to mill slots in my ankle gaurds or come up with a pattern of holes to make it look good and loose some weight. either way I will be polishing everything once its done. So far so good.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 656
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 575
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 550
Just finished the other side. Now Im starting the controls.

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 007 - Copy.JPG
    007 - Copy.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 591
  • 008 - Copy.JPG
    008 - Copy.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 636
I set the engine in the frame so I can get my shift linkage figured out.

Attachments

• 014 - Copy.JPG
    014 - Copy.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 658
Very cool man. I'd be interested in a set of the rear sets without the speed holes, for my KZ400 (though a bit down the road) Sounds like a couple other guys may too if you're up for it.

Have you figured out a good brake linkage yet? Do they clear the kick start lever as they are? I have a '77 which has a much crappier lever for fitment and was told the 78-79 lever was better for this...

this is going to be a beautiful bike. Your workmanship is superb. Can't wait to see more progress!
Kev

Yeah I will see how these turn out. As long as I have time, I would gladly make a few more. Send me a pm when you are ready.

valvesprung said:
Very cool man. I'd be interested in a set of the rear sets without the speed holes, for my KZ400 (though a bit down the road) Sounds like a couple other guys may too if you're up for it.

Have you figured out a good brake linkage yet? Do they clear the kick start lever as they are? I have a '77 which has a much crappier lever for fitment and was told the 78-79 lever was better for this...

All I had to do for the brake linkage was flip the lever on the drum, so it runs above the swing arm. Its not completely done yet, but It should attatch to my new brake arm with little or no bend. I will have to widen the clevis on the end because my new lever is 1/4" and the stocker was more like 12ga sheet metal. I will get you some pictures once I get it all hooked up.

valvesprung said:

Oh yeah.....the peg clears the kicker by almost 2" on the side and about and 1" behind" As long as your not starting the bike with snow shoes on it should be fine. This was very important to me because I plan on making this bike kick only.

valvesprung said:

Here it is. There is a split on the side but if you just need the pan i guess it doesnt matter. My internet at home is out so it might be a few days before I can check pm's, but let me know.

Attachments

• dads bike 001.jpg
    dads bike 001.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 457
  • dads bike 002.jpg
    dads bike 002.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 445
Back
Top Bottom