Vintage Honda paint codes or modern color name equivalents

acm177

Been Around the Block
I'm close to getting my glass painted this weekend and wanted to know if anyone has information about vintage Honda paint codes?

I'm looking for the Honda red and grey/silver as seen on the GP bikes from the 60's
Does anyone have the PPG paint codes? Or any color names that are close?

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2011/02/sweet-sounding-honda-six.html

Any photoshop wizards out there want to give this a shoop?

Thanks!

Attachments

• wizard.jpg
    wizard.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5,936
My system is a Nexa Autocolor Aquabase plus system, ppg bought out ICI autocolor and all of its formulas and changed it to Nexa so everything is able to be cross referenced to deltron,omni etc.;) I will check it out for you tomorrow I am sure I saw codes for honda in the computer a couple days ago. - R.D.

www.custompaintshop.ca

Hey, I looked it up and between the rep and myself we found a code for red. Its R-63 there is a lighter and yellower variant in the deck. And the silver looks like nh-35m there are a few variants I myself would go with the coarser variant. Anyone with a ppg system will know what you are talking about.

r-63 lighter/yellower
nh-35m coarser

I hope this helps.- R.D. ;)

From the Honda 305.com site. I used the red for my '67 CB 160. Looks great. The fender, side-covers silver is called Cloud Silver. Modern Honda Arctic Silver auto paint is close. There are also a number of suitable replacements on the market in rattle cans. However they are not gas-proof. The engine is a different colour again. . It is almost impossible to replicate the Cloud Silver because of the size of the metallic particles. They were a lot smaller in the 60s and were metal, not plastic and larger like today, so I have been told. Hope this helps.

Honda had four colors for the CB77 Black White Red Blue, (and silver for fenders).

LM's imron recommendations for reference:

Bike silver is DuPont IMRON 45040U (Fenders and Side covers)
Black is DuPont IMRON 99U.
Red 6543UM
Blue 63203UH
Don't have a code for white (looks awful on the CB77)

Been doing some legwork on bike colors for my project, and since PPG is a little easier to get in my area, I have been checking on crossing paint codes for Red and Silver.

Red:
EMO/LM likes Imron 6543UM, and this actually crosses to three different PPG codes, 71977, 71650, and 74359. The shop only had the chip for PPG 71650, and I compared it out in sunlight to the original part from my bike and it was a match, by all eyes in the area that saw it, including mine. The suggestion of Ditzler DPL71654K (from the Silver book?) crosses to PPG 71654, but it looked a little darker. It would probably look good on the bike, too, but I think the 71650 would be closer to stock.

Side note -- I also compared the 71650 to some test shots I'd made using the Valspar Restoration Series Ford (tractor) red, and it is also very close match to this. So, if you want to get by a bit cheaper, the Valspar Resto Series is a good quality alkyd enamel, and it's available at Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply stores at about $8 a quart. Hardener is available, too. Hahnda has used this with great results on his Dream. Some will make the point that alkyd enamels are an older type of formulation, and won't hold up like the new urethanes, but it's still a great option depending on your budget. Guys on the tractor forums argue about this a lot!

Silver:
EMO's Imron 45040U crosses to PPG 33283, and while they didn't have a chip for this, the formulation is a very basic medium silver made up of black and silver flake, so should make a good match.

Once again, FWIW, I checked with my PPG guy on the codes for the black and the blue.

These are pretty generic numbers, and they cross to several codes, especially the black.

Blue Imron 63203UH crosses to four different codes: 10419, 15958, 19126, and 19782. The main way to check these would be to check an original part against the paint chips, if they have them.

The black Imron 99U crosses to many numbers, some of which aren't even black! The main PPG number it crosses to is PPG 120, a generic black.

Check those chips!

Hey thanks for the info guys.
Ill be meeting with my painter this weekend to talk about the job.

Ill let you know what colors ill be using.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom