New project brainstorm & questions

CALfeRacer

Fat man on a little bike
Hey guys. Just scrolling through local c-list late at night (what else would I be doing? ::)) and stumbled on a rebel 250, with title not far from me. I have a bunch of 250 parts which I was planning on putting in to a CM200 frame that's for sale a little bit farther away in a salvage yard.
For reference here is a pic of a rebel:
IMG_7768.jpg

and one of a CM200:
honda-cm200t-1980-2.jpg

The rebel is totally set up to be a mini-cruiser learner bike, not really anywhere close to where I want to go. As much as I like the concept of a bobber, I can't really imagine riding around town with a low seat and forward controls would be nearly as fun as something with some MX bars and standard pegs. The 200T actually has a straight frame under that early 80's cruiser wannabe body, and would be a bit closer to what I want.
What do I want exactly? A fun little bike to blast around town on, that's smaller and lighter than commuting on the Katana. I've been looking at something inspired by a desert sled. Not that I want to do much offroad (nothing more than some fire roads and gravel), but the stripped down, almost ratty look with upright riding position seems like it would be a cool to have for going around town.
The reason I've brought this up is because I'm torn on what to do. If the rebel is complete with a title, it would be much easier for me to get it going and riding around on, as opposed to the 200T which would require me applying for a new title- not difficult (out of DMV records) but a bit time consuming, along with the fact that the bike would need to be put together from basically a bare frame. I could get the 200T and the rebel for basically the same price. I have pretty much all of the parts needed to get the 200T on the road, besides basic maintenance/wear items like chain/sprockets, tires, and battery. I even laced up an 18" rear (which would work for either of these two) from a spare front and rear wheel. ;D
I saw this pic of a rebel and found it interesting:
100_4519.jpg

Obviously there is a new subframe and shock mounts, I believe he also shortened the swingarm a couple inches. Interesting thing is the rebel has a full cradle frame, which I believe none of the other 250s, 200s, or 185s of the same engine family had. Also it has the largest forks (33mm) and a disc in the front.
Anyways, I'm just looking for some feedback and opinions, honestly not sure which direction I want to go. Fire away!

That frame also has a different neck angle. If I were you I would look elsewhere to get what you say you want. Maybe an XL 600.

Ahhh, I didn't know the neck was different than the others. Looks like it won't matter though, rebel got picked up before I could get out there to check it out. I've been on the lookout for XL's but there aren't many near me at a price I can afford. I was thinking the 250 route mainly because I have a bunch of parts sitting around that I'd like to put to use.

Back
Top Bottom