Anyone ride or have exposure to a Yammagamma?

HollywoodMX

Coast to Coast
For the curious readers you basically take an rg250, swap out out the engine with a yamaha lc 350 or ypvs 350. Reason why they made these was the 250 gamma was a better handler and lighter bike by 60+ lbs, aluminum frame but the engine lacked, the yamaha had the engine but a much heavier of a frame. Put the two together and the bike supposedly transforms into a weapon...

I have an opportunity to pick up an uncompleted 1986 running project @75%, I'm wondering if anyone has ridden or has comments to share about these little monsters.

Pic attached is a completed example.

Attachments

• yamma-gamma.jpg
    yamma-gamma.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Let me know, if you don't want it, I am interested. I live in Vancouver so it would be an easy trip for me for pick up. If you find some more info on the engine switch, would you mind passing it along?

Brian

Sorry, no information to share Hollywood, but that's a great looking little bike !
Am I mistaken, or is that picture in the UK?

CarbsAndCylinders said:
Let me know, if you don't want it, I am interested. I live in Vancouver so it would be an easy trip for me for pick up. If you find some more info on the engine switch, would you mind passing it along?

Brian

Sure I will go take a look at it and let you know.

There is a website that comes up in google tells you step by step how to swap it.

So, it appears to be too junky. Maybe if it was a quarter of the price.. The body parts that come with it are garbage. If you do the research good luck on trying to get good body parts for them. Yes there are alternatives but they are expensive too.

In the end the amount of work to make it good will be a pain in the ass and expensive.

The engine swap is extremely simple - so simple that Motorcycle Mechanics AKA M/C Maniacs or Performing Berks did an article on the conversion and they featured a few over the years. Somewhere here I have a hard copy torn for the mag.

My son had an RG250 gamma years ago and they handled so much better than an RD400 that it wasn't funny. It was about as fast too. He went through all the bodywork and spare pipes and mufflers that our local breakers had on the shelf, so consumables like bodywork may be getting hard to find now.

Use the RZ wiring loom for the power valve and charge/sparks systems and modify the Gamma wiring for the lights.

Totally awesome little bikes.

Mmmm. Found it and the scan came out to 10Mb as a pdf so now I need to work out where to put it.

Back
Top Bottom