I can't decide... Yay or nay on the fairing?

whitetrash

I scored an old Z1R fairing and I am not sure if I like the look or not on my project. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    647.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    586 KB · Views: 171
Sell it to me and buy yourself a shorter fairing :)

Anyone have pics of a similar fairing cut down? I need some ideas on that. I agree that the windscreen is too tall. Thanks.

Looks good - like everyone says, cut the screen down. Try marking it off with masking tape to get new lines. I'd hollow it out so it was more like a helmet visor shape - open on top. Like this.

main.jpg

Tim said:
Looks good - like everyone says, cut the screen down. Try marking it off with masking tape to get new lines. I'd hollow it out so it was more like a helmet visor shape - open on top. Like this.

main.jpg

Don't lump me in with these yahoos. I say leave it high and mighty.

Re: Re: I can't decide... Yay or nay on the fairing?

whitetrash said:
I scored an old Z1R fairing and I am not sure if I like the look or not on my project. Any thoughts?

When you are off the bike staring at your bike your eyes will tell you it looks better smaller or not on it at all.

When your doing 100 mph on the highway the rest of your body will love the fairing on with the high shield..

I don't think the fairing is a match to the tank and seat but with a shorter shield it could pull it off.

I have the same dilemma as you with a very similar bike and fairing so I'm gonna borrow your thread for the same question.

Here is mine with and without, looking for feedback on.

jahuda4u.jpg

9egujemu.jpg

I'm with Rich! Take the screen off and spray the fairing a quick base coat in white the re-install and stand back. Part of the reason it looks so large is the stark difference in color to the rest of the bike. I think it may blend in better than you think just the way it is. If you still dont like the screen after that "THEN" cut it down to your taste. You can't go back if you cut first.

just my 2 cents.

Gary

White makes a huge diff, and I like the lower screen, half assed chop to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 177
Maritime said:
White makes a huge diff, and I like the lower screen, half assed chop to show you what I mean.

Cool, thanks. That really helped a bit. I will bomb it with some white primer then give it a go. At this point I think cutting it might be a mistake. I will give an update when it is back on the bike in white. Might be a while. It's supposed to get cold again and I do not have a heated workspace.

Re: Re: The Cafe Collection

m511y said:
What kind of fairing is the blue one?

I thought it was a z1 but I can't find what it really is. It was bought in 80s and stored until then so who knows. The seller said it was a kz or z1 fairing. it was painted with with a rattle can from, with flake, lol, by the previous owner.

It's actually quite a bit sleeker than the z1. The trouble is where do I get the wind screen from since it's not typical. And I'm pretty sure it looks better without. Maybe I need to do the primer trick too and see how it looks.

whitetrash said:
Cool, thanks. That really helped a bit. I will bomb it with some white primer then give it a go. At this point I think cutting it might be a mistake. I will give an update when it is back on the bike in white. Might be a while. It's supposed to get cold again and I do not have a heated workspace.

Ya it does look quite a lot better white.

Back
Top Bottom