1990 Suzuki DR350 Medusa Transducer Hellride

I rescind the offer to let you rebuild my 250. I prefer my cams in one piece ;D

SONIC. said:
I rescind the offer to let you rebuild my 250. I prefer my cams in one piece ;D
Goddamn it. :-\

Version 2 will work better. I promise.

We're back on the road. I was lucky enough to find a spare jug at a yard near me that was re-sleeved and bored to 86mm. Sent it out to Mototech USA to bore to 89mm. Installed JE piston and .032" copper gasket.

I also ordered a proper parting tool and machined a new cam to 18mm on all three journals, plus an oil groove on the middle journals. With a dial indicator, I insured the shaft was true within .001", which was my biggest mistake not doing before. Basically, my first cam had a twist between the three journals that caused it to corkscrew. This is one thing that caused the middle bearing to spin. The top half of that bearing was thinner on top then bottom. I did that to seat the cam better and it was dumb. I ordered two 18mm ID x 24mm OD and one 18mm ID x 25mm OD oil bronze bearings. I split the middle bearing and installed it with a roll pin to keep it from spinning.

14dfcac0a94d5812d558accd96a1523b.jpg

5a8c594ef2f905bbcc420ca1a68677d2.jpg

9402930afec148332cf7e988ad002244.jpg

This should last a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The next project will be to convert to the TM33 to oval bore. So, essentially it will be running a TM33 at the bottom of the bore and TM34.5 at the top of the bore. This pic illustrates the mod for a TM40 to TM44, but the concept is the same:

Carb-Bore.jpg

The idea is to keep the torque and power at the bottom end, while also maximizing power at the top end. With a straight bore, you sacrifice bottom end for top end. Beings I still want it to be a mountain goat, I don't want to lose bottom end. One obvious difference since I bored it to 440 with the TM33 is it has a significant torque gain.

Yep. A dremel with an assortment of mounted blue stones, white stones, sanding drums, cratex, and bayflex bits. Or take it to someone with a mill. I'll do it by hand, tho.

I decided to go with a 37mm FCR, which was just ordered. I scoured Mid-O for a carb and came up empty.

Also, took a couple 70s Suzuki racks, cut them up and made a rack for this thing. I'll blast it and powder coat it...

c2e62f6bc7849ae7b9f04a75f15b5144.jpg

I picked up an old rashed EX500 or ZX6R can at Mid-O for cheap. Cut about 6 inches off, cleaned it up fit it to the DR. The Supertrapp was too restrictive. I was blowing the end off...

1ba79f515a4920a8bc15d4d3791acd97.jpg

ab07de458910908853c66e2a6f4ddb4b.jpg

23e94215149c653a671130f930de1c2a.jpg

irk miller said:
I picked up an old rashed EX500 or ZX6R can at Mid-O for cheap. Cut about 6 inches off, cleaned it up fit it to the DR. The Supertrapp was too restrictive. I was blowing the end off...

Is that the one I had at our booth?

Watcha doin with the supertrapp? ;)

advCo said:
Is that the one I had at our booth?

Watcha doin with the supertrapp? ;)
No, this isn't yours. Yours was oval and half the length this one started out as. This one is round and I bought it on the first day. The Supertrapp will get saved for the 250 motor or another contraption. I never dump Supertrapps or any other can for that matter. I've put the same can on three different bikes before.

irk miller said:
No, this isn't yours. Yours was oval and half the length this one started out as. This one is round and I bought it on the first day. The Supertrapp will get saved for the 250 motor or another contraption. I never dump Supertrapps or any other can for that matter. I've put the same can on three different bikes before.

Ahh yeah I see it now. Looked similar at a quick glance. I figured you'd keep the Supertrapp. Kicking myself for not picking up the one at the swap meet on Saturday.

Can looks good on there.

advCo said:
Ahh yeah I see it now. Looked similar at a quick glance. I figured you'd keep the Supertrapp. Kicking myself for not picking up the one at the swap meet on Saturday.

Can looks good on there.
Thanks man. What's worse, I had one in my hand too. We both stepped out on a decent deal.

Back
Top Bottom