'72 Norton restoration

goldy

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've got the latest project started, so I figured I might as well do a build thread. The plan is to build a reliable runner for the owner, something that looks nice, but not necessarily 100% perfect and try to keep costs down...it's a 1972 Commando frame with an early '69 engine. He picked it up in a pretty sad state of disrepair...there is also a lot of stuff missing. The bottom line is, there is no such thing as a cheap Norton, you ether pay big bucks for a good example, or dump a ton of money into a rusty old heap of junk to make one...that is, unless you have a relative or friend who gives you one for free (Yes, I know a guy...).
Anyhow, here's what I started with:

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 384
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 404
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 387
After stripping the bike down to the bare frame, I had intended to get into the engine right away, but I got side tracked wondering if the wheels would clean up, or require new rims and spokes. You never know until you try. With a generous application of elbow grease and penetrating oil combined with a small fleet of brass brushes and polish, surprise, surprise, they cleaned up quite nicely! Not one hundred percent perfect, but plenty good enough...much less costly than new rims and almost as good.

Some before and after shots:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 376
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 391
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 373
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 370
Without regular maintenance on them they won't stay that way for long. I have polished some 46 year old parts back to acceptable and within weeks of sitting in the shop they deteriorate rapidly. Yours did clean up nicely so maybe you'll get lucky. I knew my Triumph wheels were so far gone I didn't spend one second attempting to clean them up.

I have brought some parts back that were about the same level. you need to coat them with a wax to keep them from re-oxidizing. I like never-dull.

Very true guys...the wheels on my own Commando were in similar condition, but over the past 27 years I have managed to keep them nice and shiny with some regular maintenance and a decent coat of wax now and then. Hopefully these ones will hang in there just as well....if not, I can always lace up some new spokes and rims, but I'll let the owner have the final say on that.

Good call. Save the budget for whatever surprises you find.

Good work. Saved the pennies, and genuine patina looks so much nicer than components restored to a standard far in excess of when new.

Got a frost crack on the lower right frame rail welded shut...all ready for powder coat. Got into the engine this week. By the looks of things it must have been rebuilt just before it fell into disuse. Crank has what appears to be a new regrind on the throws at 0.030" under. A new con rod and welding repairs inside the left side crankcase would indicate a catastrophic failure at one time or other. Crankshaft oil feed end was severely corroded, had to machine it and press fit a stainless sleeve, silver soldered it for added security, then machined it down to the proper size. Cylinders were being used as a pantry by a mouse and have some pretty bad water etching spots, will need a rebore. Camshaft and followers are like new. The crank was fitted with the standard main bearings, they were in very good shape, but I will be replacing them with Superblends. Got the timing case all polished up as well as the foot rest brackets. I haven't gotten to the cylinder head yet, that's a job for next week.
Had a long chat with the owner...I can cap my labour charges and do this on a budget (I've already saved him a good little pile of cash on the wheels), but I can't spare the money on the engine...it's got to be done right, or not at all. He was a little shocked by what I told him regarding the cost of parts alone. I hope this doesn't become one of those projects that sits around for months while he saves his pennies, or worse yet, comes to a screeching halt. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that as he sees things progressing, he will find and excuse to loosen up the purse strings and keep the project going.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 396
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 345
goldy said:
He was a little shocked by what I told him regarding the cost of parts alone. I hope this doesn't become one of those projects that sits around for months while he saves his pennies, or worse yet, comes to a screeching halt. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that as he sees things progressing, he will find and excuse to loosen up the purse strings and keep the project going.

Let him know that he's gonna get charged for storage if he dicks around... Ain't no free lunch on a Norton of any kind.

Ha-ha! No storage here, I haven't got the room! I told him that if he has to put this thing on hold, he can just take it home until he can continue...anyhow, that may not happen at all, so I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Looks like a great new project. Are you located right by the turn-off to Terrance Bay Goldy? Your place looks familiar...

Got a little more to share this week... cylinder head cleaned up very nicely, valves guides and seats all in good condition. Installed new seals on the intake valve guides and put it all back together; ready to bolt back on when the time comes. Ordered the engine parts as well as a set of fork tubes and new isolastics. Mounted new tires...even cleaned up the old points and ignition advance assembly...in this case I will recommend electronic ignition mainly due to the location, but I'll let the owner make the final decision. Transmission was a similar story, crusty corroded and dirty on the outside, clean as a whistle on the inside. Dismantled it, cleaned it, checked everything out, installed a new mainshaft seal and put it back together. Frame etc have gone out for powder coating.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 351
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 356
Yep, that's me indeed. Getting out of the MVI business this December, been doing it for 15 years now and it's getting to be a pain in the ass...when you work out of your own home, people know where to find you 24/7...time for somebody else to take over. Going into retirement/ hobby mode next spring, will keep on working on bikes for my friends...but strictly on my terms, looking forward to having my days to myself. On a completely different note...I really like your avatar!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 327
goldy said:
Yep, that's me indeed. Getting out of the MVI business this December, been doing it for 15 years now and it's getting to be a pain in the ass...when you work out of your own home, people know where to find you 24/7...time for somebody else to take over. Going into retirement/ hobby mode next spring, will keep on working on bikes for my friends...but strictly on my terms, looking forward to having my days to myself. On a completely different note...I really like your avatar!

That's fair, I was definitely that annoying guy hoping I could drop by around suppertime.... and thanks! Peggy's Cove is always a prime photo op spot. Maybe I should update with this one, parked in the same spot as yours, just a different view.

Attachments

• Peggy's cove.JPG
    Peggy's cove.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 866
Getting back to the Commando...not much to report on this week. Got a crack in the left crankcase welded shut and spent some time grinding it smooth, then cleaned up the outside of the cases. The cylinders have gone for a re-bore. Got the old bearing races out and installed the new mains...end play turned out to be perfect without shims. Spent the rest of the week cleaning up the shop, sorting out parts and rebuilding a set of forks from a Square Four.

I had hoped to get the engine back together this week, but when I went to check the end gaps in the freshly bored cylinders, discovered I had the wrong rings...they were far too big (Triumph 750). Anyhow, while waiting for the correct ones to arrive I tackled the crankcase assembly and got the timing side together. Also rebuilt the Ebay brake caliper and forks after fabricating a replacement for a broken damper cap.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 341
Back
Top Bottom