'77 CJ360T (Café SOS) - Calling it Done (for now...)

your machine is really a class act!!! I like the bright frame. Im gonna try to go through your entire build start to finish next rainy day. Thats alot of pages!

Go take a look at my fender. I cut it shorter in front and back...too short in front (early pics) got another and cut it the same in rear but left it a little longer in front (present pics). I think its more balanced looking now.
short fender older pics.. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27417.20

i did the same thing but kept the brace and just moved it up.
819a5830.jpg

6c199634.jpg

Thanks pj! I had not see anybody else do it this way and I though it looked pretty cool, kinda gives it a more classic feel on a little more modern cut fender... I like it anyway. I'm glad it got the pj stamp of approval!

'77 CJ360T (Café SOS) - Calling it Done (for now...)

That's about how I plan to cut down my front fender, maybe a little more off in the rear of it. I plan to paint mine to match the tank and seat. Keeping the speedo loop might keep me from cutting the back down anymore than you did though...

I really like your seat pad btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looking good!
I was going through the beginning part of the build, and a posing question is are you running the stock rear shocks, or did you get longer like 13.5's?
Alot of guys here, including myself, I am sure would love to know how its working out, especially if you can fit all the wiring and battery up in that pretty hump of yours!
ps- I still need to start a build thread so I can show off the new built motor using your ol' valves!

I started with the stock rear shocks but ended up finding a set of Showa CB650 shocks on CL for $10. I slapped those on and it raised the rear end by about an inch or so. Didn't like that feeling at all and so I swapped back to stock. A suspension upgrade is still on the table and something I will undertake as time and money allows.

Wiring and everything else is solid. Everything under the hump or in the headlight. A few wires going here and there were ziptied to the frame to keep things looking clean.

Shocks could have been ay too hard for 360, CB650 is at least 200 lbs heavier

Not sure what it was, but I couldn't keep a steady line in a tight corner. Bike kept wanting to randomly pull left and right and it was pretty unsettling.

Sounds like too much rake and not enough trail - exactly what happens with longer shocks if they are too long.

Very impressive bike project and journey, and man you can write too!

Sonreir said:
It's been one year, seven months, and 15 days since I first took a wrench to this bike, armed only with some book learning, some automobile experience, a rough idea of what I wanted, and whatever the Internet could provide.

Many of those moments have been difficult and at two points during this build I left the project to sit more than a month. At one point, I even destroyed some expensive and very important components and quite literally shed tears of anger and frustration at my own incompetence.

But after riding this thing down the road this evening, I can honestly say that every hard-earned dollar, every blood-splattered minute, every sweat-soaked turn of the wrench, and every tear-stained, hair-pulling problem has been worth it. I'm almost sad it's over. But to be honest, I can't do anything but smile after rolling on the throttle and hearing those pipes sing the song I've written.

I suspect this project will never truly been done, but for now, she's in a pretty good spot. Sure, she's a bit set in her ways and it takes her a while to warm up to my insistent advances, but I don't think I'd respect her as much if she didn't. But in the end, we both want the same thing and once she has warmed up a bit, she's a real screamer. I expect more than one person can tell when we're both having a damn good time.

577631_10151001038925159_734955158_12033054_1042362436_n.jpg

601153_10151001039000159_734955158_12033055_200541374_n.jpg

303304_10151001039075159_734955158_12033056_818592118_n.jpg

521467_10151001039145159_1346676056_n.jpg

579419_10151001039255159_734955158_12033059_416431377_n.jpg

Well... I've had an ongoing oil leak since I put the bike back together and I guess I'd just hope it would sort of go away. It hasn't.

I ended up replacing the clutch rod seal and shifter seal and that stopped some of the leak, but the majority looks like it's coming from the countershaft seal.

I tried some AT-205, which is meant to swell seals and stop leaks, but I think it may have actually made it worse, somehow.

So this weekend I pulled the engine and separated the cases. My new countershaft seal should be here on Thursday.

While it's open... anyone have a spare CB360 transmission and shift drum they wanna send me? ;D

mmmm 6spd... I seem to always mis-judge how many gears I have and phantom shift into 6th!

Be careful when you re-assemble the cases that the bearing locator pins are properly seated. Someone didn't on the 250 I had and it busted a hole in the case... :eek:

Touch wood, the only leak I have had so far is the sump plug, but easily fixed.

Sonreir, I have just finished reading 62 pages on your entire build and it has inspired me to get out in the shed and get mine built, also knowing there is so much knowledge on this forum give me great confidence

thanks for sharing this with us, I hope mine turns out half as good!

8)

Oil leak fixed. Fuck. Yes.

I just got done covering about three miles and in traditional Sonreir fashion, I forgot to tighten down one of my bar end mirrors and lost it on the road somewhere. Fuck it. One of the left will be fine for now.

The 18t (+2) front sprocket in conjunction with the cam makes starting out in first pretty interesting. I gotta give it a fair bit of throttle and still slip the clutch a bit. I'm wondering how long the stock clutch will survive that kind of treatment? At least once I get going everything feels about right. Even with the two extra teeth up front, I'd venture to say the bike still accelerates faster than stock, though only if I keep the revs high.

Ergonomics definitely are going to require rearsets for trips much longer than 15 miles or so and I think neglecting some suspension upgrades wasn't in my best interest. Front brake is seeming a little weak and so I'm gonna tweak that, too.

After the end of the summer riding season, stay tuned for Stage Two™.

I really like the way this bike turned out...I love the motor paint colors, might have to steal some of your ideas!

Strangely enough, I lost right mirror as well. Its the crappy mounting that's the problem, mine were real tight

I've had some close calls with bar ends, had to ride for a bit holding one until i could find a spot to stop and remove it and stash it. I'm running tarozzi clip ons and they have thinner wall section.

I do agree the mounting mechanism sucks a big one...

+1 for rearsets!

Back
Top Bottom