Beachcomber's Tales from the day

Hoof / Crazy, you must BOTH have been at a desperate loose end to carry out your research / memory dredging.................... although as you say it's fun sometimes checking your memory banks against reality.

I actually passed up on the offer of a FREE C10 in 1961.

Currently £195 [ $450 ? ] on E-Bay

KGrHqZHJDQE8fdBgM8BPPjzK9Tw60_3.jpg

My best one was when a Georgia State Patrol said {as Southern cops are prone to do} "Boy Where's Your Pilots License"... So I handed it to him.... He laughed so hard I got out of a ticket for 110 in a 65

Let's not be too rash, I'd buy that for ten pound.

...but then, it sorta reminds me of... I dunnow... A mildly retarded puppy.

A fiver is a more than generous offer. Remember I rode one of those when it was only six years old not 56 years old. And even back then it seemed like it was 56 years old.

dawino6260 said:
My best one was when a Georgia State Patrol said {as Southern cops are prone to do} "Boy Where's Your Pilots License"... So I handed it to him.... He laughed so hard I got out of a ticket for 110 in a 65

In the UK the cop's favourite [ 1950s - mid 90's 'ish] was "Who do we think we are sir, Stirling Bloody Moss".

Well .............. fast forward to the end of that period and I was responsible for organising "suitable" transport for a number of motoring dignitaries - Moss, Shelby, Richard Noble, Jack Brabham and others at the Innes Ireland Momorial Rally in aid of cancer research.

It seemed like an excellent opportunity to gather in some Brownie points so we arranged a fleet of RAM replicas - Cobras, D Types and XKSS to put all the celebs in.

I was riding shotgun on the celeb convoy [ 3000 cars in all ] with the BBC camera girl. My brief was to zap up and down the column so film footage could be taken. Well, you can imagine with a bunch of racers - as I whizzed past so the film could be taken - they took that as a challenge and soon the whole convoy was moving along at 100mph + in a 70mph limit. I saw the cop car looming up and was frantically flashing the mob to slow down - they did just the opposite. Moss was recovering from a hip replacement and was a passenger with Carroll in "his" Cobra.

For some reason Shelby did slow and I caught up with him just as the cop car pulled in front. I got out so as to explain what was happening and just as I approached the car the copper was into "who do we think we are sir, Stirling Moss" .......and in his slow laconic drawl Shelby said - "No I'm Carroll Shelby THAT's Stirling Moss"........................ autographs all round and after I explained what it was all about, we were let off.

Here they are 30 minutes after their arrival at the Silverstone Circuit with their mate Dickie "Dinger" Bell [ multi-Le Mans winner and group C pilot ]
cars025.jpg

And here I am in my "camera car" with camera lady ready for the off from Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre.

cars033-1.jpg

BTW - the C11 is now £900 - with 3 days to go !!! anyone want to predict the final price ?

Anyway here's the last one for a while ......

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day – Feb 2012.
“ How to play the system – start young”
Hoof’s tale about building your own stuff courtesy of your workplace sparked this from the dim memory banks.

I spent my early education at one of England’s top Grammar Schools – King Edward the 6th. Lichfield. I went there courtesy of passing a set of 11+ [ age ] exams which allowed me to be educated without having to pay fees. The school was very old and very traditional and I made very hard work of it all by being a total rebel all my way through! Without digressing too much – like the time we put the Science Master’s Messerschmitt Bubble car on top of the bike shed !

My only saving grace was my success at anything to do with sports. Rugby, Athletic field events, swimming – I was yer maun. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was involved in all the school and County teams, I think my stay at King Edward’s might have been quite short!

Normally this phase of education in the UK at that time was a 5-7 year stint, after which we WERE expected to go to Oxford or Cambridge to take degrees. After 4 years I realized that an academic education path was not for me, and fortunately my then current girl friend’s Father saw that my natural talents lay in an engineering direction. He was the guy that encouraged me to build my first Velo Sprinter. He was the MD for a major Spray plant company and was able to get many parts made for me [ and sprayed ! ] at his works. In fact it went deeper than that as during the school holidays whilst his Daughter got work experience in the office, I got to work in the Drawing Office. So after gathering the various expected exam results [ GCE’s ] at Oxford’s matriculation board – I opted for a change in direction into engineering.

Won’t bore you with all that, but I ended up with my first job at 17 and with a sandwich course [ 4 days work 1 day college ] which set me on my way to the Associate Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers [ A.M.I.Mech.E. ].

I was taken on as a trainee engineering design Draughtsman, but like all these institutions at this time was the archetypal “them and us” – with a vengeance. The company was involved in the manufacture of non-ferrous extruded forms and had several machine shops and fabrication shops dotted throughout the huge complex – over 5,000 employees. You were simply a # ……….no space for an individual !

After 4 months learning the basics [ and making a lot of tea ], I was given the job of checking all the various consumption meters [ gas, electric, oil, water ] and making daily notes of the readings – and yes, I had NO fargin idea what that had to do with being an engineering draughtsman ! I got some training in the afternoons after my rounds, but all very basic and I was learning more at the Technical College. It involved a lot of climbing up into virtually inaccessible – AND high places !!! Anything much over 12 ft. and I get decidedly queasy and some of these overhead crane gantries were 100 ft up with small catwalk access – nah, not for me.

The company also had one of the first computer systems – took up the whole of a 500 sq. ft. room and probably had the total power of the average lap top of today. I got very friendly with one of the computer programmers – don’t think they were actually called that back then. Anyway she just loved motorbikes, even though I only had a 250 AJS [ sport no less ! ] it was only a few years old and she loved it [ and the bike ].

One day while we were ………er chatting in the depths of the computer room, she told me that the meter readings I took were fed into the computers together with the outputs from the various extrusion presses – and thus the computer could compute accurate costings for the finished extrusions.

Now there’s an old saying in big production companies – if you want to find the most economical way to do a job – put the laziest most devious worker on it – he’ll find the simplest way !

Nothing if not resourceful, it didn’t take me long to realize that - if we had the total input for the 24 hour period [ ie the main incoming meters ] and the end total product output, you didn’t actually need a computer to work out the costs! Of course they were interested in where savings on individual plant could be made – I was interested in an easy life.

I soon had it sussed with Jenny [ what a memory ] that with her production figures and my overall consumption figures we [ she ] could programme the computer to give all the intermediate meter readings based on previous predictions, and the results would be perfect - resulting in brownie points for me.

After 4 weeks of using this method and feeding the results on, it was working like a charm. There was a base datum figure the engineers had worked out for every single piece of consumptive equipment in the place. This must have been a mammoth task as there were literally 1000’s of individual items – furnaces, presses, mufflers, cranes, ……………..

By this time I’d also befriended the machine shop and fabrication guys and was busy sending them drawings to make odd bits for my AJS and also my Velo Sprinter. They were quite happy to make the parts as they were perfectly aware of what I was doing, and to them it was fingers up to the management ! On one of my forays round the works [ I now had PLENTY of time thanks to Jenny and her computer skills ] I found a large wooden building, inside the main building but just outside one of the die stores where very few people went. After enquiring what it was used for I found it was now redundant, having originally been the works office. Checking inside I found tables, chairs a small camping cooker and all the paraphernalia to keep the foreman and his cronies happy. After I had requisitioned a large padlock and keys – the place was mine ! Initially it was just a bolt hole and somewhere private to meet up with Jenny, but then I became interested in Karts – or Go-Karts as they were known in the UK. I’d seen them in one of my US Hot Rod magazines and decided I’d like to build one.

As I was expected to leave the Drawing Office on my rounds at 9.30 – and I wasn’t expected back until after lunch, that gave me plenty of time to get on with my own activities and nobody even queried where I was or what I was doing – as long as each month the figures rolled out.

So drawings were done and materials gathered. Drawings went out on a regular basis to the works and nobody ever queried what they were for as they all had official Drawing Office stamps. I had NO idea what the specs were for a Kart – so mine had suspension front and rear – and a 500cc Triumph engine !! The Kart was eventually completed, but there was no way of getting it into a van or trailer and past the security on the main gate. So a plot was hatched, I offered to work overtime and when it was dark I drove the Kart out of the workshop and was able to drive below the gate barrier! The security guards were shell shocked and basically shat themselves when the Kart came hurtling out of the darkness and under their barrier. The engine just had short open pipes with no silencing and made a hell of a racket. Regrettably I hadn’t given much thought to what should happen once I got outside in the road and ended up driving it home - some 3 miles away. Needless to say it wasn’t long before the specs for the Karts became available in the UK – and mine was totally illegal ! I sold it on to a guy for Hill Climbing.

The idyllic life had to come to an end sometime and after Jenny had been called in to her boss to explain some anomalies [ or lack of ] with the production readings – we had made the mistake of making them TOO perfect. She played dumb and just produced “my” figures which she input to the system. I decided it was time to move on before the enquiries came to rest at my door and in any case I hadn’t seen much of the actual drawing office since I’d been there. I actually left with glowing references as to my efficiency [ written before they found out the real truth ] and secured a job in a proper engineering company working on large aluminium structures – even MORE scope for my mini Café Racer business. I calculate there must have been at least 100 sets of dural engine plates I had made during my stay there.

I often wonder if they ever got to the bottom of why the readings were so faultless during that time – or if the security guards ever got over their trauma …………..and what became of Jenny ?

Kind of reminds me of doing this:

Bike%20Pic%20jpg.JPG

When I was supposed to be doing this:

Constraint.JPG

I later quit that job to join the RCAF doing what I'm doing now on the floor instead of sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day clinking a freaking mouse.

900 quid???!!!! Have the people of GB lost their minds?? Dear God almighty!!

I had a good giggle at your kart story. In the early 80s a friend's sister bought a house and the result was a bunch of kart bits arrived on my doorstep. With nothing better to do I stuck an XS 650 Yamaha engine in it. El Mirage dry lake was the only place you could let fly with it. The final drive ratio was 1:1. Fun as hell until I looped it at around the ton and it beat the crap out of me. When I moved the house needed to be tented (termites) and I traded it for the tenting. Should have kept it.

img225ap1.jpg

By weslake at 2008-09-09

Hoof this was my karting moment of madness.
I guess you can see where it originated from ! It was the body that was used for the pyrotechnic / destructive shots - alledgedly m'lud. Body was just over 12' long.

Later plans called for a hydrogen peroxide rocket to work through the original outlet - but then the men in white coats arrived just in time.........

KGrHqFHJCEE9EDFg9wmBPSsT2JU4Q60_12.jpg

img105.jpg

That's pretty neat BC. With the new body on, the sidecar is a few inches over 12' long. Ya reckon that body would fit? That would be a shocker for the scrutineers at Bonneville!!

Wouldn't it just ...........you can imagine the fun you could have with your pit crew dressed the part as well ! You'd have to get a fireproof cape though ;)

Here's the naked chassis part built......

KGrHqJHJFIE88e5RhrBPSsQOfgVw60_12.jpg

Packaging the whole thing was a bit of a headache ...... The plan was originally for a Busa, but that would have meant using a driver less than 3 ft tall !

Straight line was a blast, corners ................ interesting. Wheelies at the drop of a hat [ cape ? ]

April Tale under way - just a gentle story ............"Father's EasyTwo [ Norton ES2 ], the tight leathers and the ride from hell"

Here it is then, a little early as I hope to be in Sunny Saxony first 2 weeks of April.

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day – March 2012
“Father’s Easy Two [ Norton ES2 ], the Tight Leathers, and the Ride from Hell”.

This Tale [ 1964 ? ] involves my late Father’s ES2 Norton – basically a cooking version of Norton’s single range, albeit in a Featherbed frame. This model the Fire-Breathing ::) 500cc version as opposed to the more mundane 350cc . Primarily these 2 were the commuters in the range offering simple maintenance over the complication of the twin Dominators [ ? ], and reasonable performance ??? with good economy. They were also exceedingly cheap back in the early - mid sixties, and I’d bought this one for £20 to use as a base for a Triton that a pal had asked me to build for him. To put the £20 into perspective, I'd just laid out £5.00 for a genuine Manx 5 gallon Alloy tank.

I used it for a while as my own Tribsa was off the road having new Borrani’s fitted up. When my Father saw the Norton, he wanted it for his daily commute to the Ford experimental base where he was working. He offered me what I’d paid for it + his ratty T100. Oh well, lose the rolling chassis for the Triton, but gain and engine and gearbox ! Anyway deal done on the basis I could carry on using the Easy Two until my Tribsa was back up and running.

That didn’t work out too well, as Father’s car blew a head gasket and he needed the Norton straight away. The Tribsa wheels were causing a bit of a headache, as I was having the front rim built on to a newly acquired Goldie front hub. I got a call to say the brake drum was out of true and needed skimming, which meant getting oversize brake shoes, which delayed the build.

So ……….temporarily bikeless I was using my trusty JU250 race transporter van to get around, and of course missing the weekly burn-ups and visits to the Caffs. I made the mistake of deciding to go up to the Woodlands one eveningcto see who was around, as I was getting severe withdrawal symptoms ! Worked out quite well actually as 2 guys had broken down [ head gasket and fried clutch ] and I ended up doing the AA [ that’s Automobile Association – NOT Alcoholics Anonymous BTW ! ] run to get the bikes back to their respective homes and earning myself a few quid into the bargain. All the usual crew were there and it transpired they were organizing a run to Brands Hatch at the weekend where, amongst others there was a National sidecar race. The reason we were all keen to go was that there was an International sidecar race at Mallory the following weekend and all the Continental Circus was in town for a warm up race – Duebel, Camathias, Scheidegger, etc.,etc. – HAD to go.

Ah problem, no bike…………and by that time I refused to go pillion to any of my nutty mates [ those that HAD dual seats ] and there was no way I was going in the van.

A call to Father proved a winner, he wasn’t using the Easy Two at the weekend AND needed to borrow my van to move some garden rubbish – deal done.

I collected the Norton on the Friday night and on the ride back thought - I can’t be seen on this by my mates ……….Two hours later the Manx 5 gallon tank, seat and rearsets I’d bought for the Triton were on together with a Goldie silencer !

I stopped short of fitting the clip-ons – only because I hadn’t yet bought a spare set of headlamp brackets, and didn’t fancy cannibalising my Tribsa for one day’s riding. A pal had some “Vincent straights” – basically as described, so I borrowed those and 20 minutes later the bars were swapped over. For a 3 hour makeover, it didn’t look too bad ! That said, I didn’t have time or the inclination to attempt to do anything to improve the “performance” - 80mph flat out and zero to sixty – eventually. 8)

Definitely all show and no go, but at least it would look the part in the car park. To add to the visual [ ie showing off ] I decided to wear the brand new Rivetts racing leathers I’d just bought myself. Early – mid sixties was still the domain of traditional Black leathers, but Rivetts had come up with a “stunning range” of coloured leathers – Red or Blue ! And they were actually cheaper because nobody wanted to be the first to go away from Black and they weren’t selling well. I made the mistake of breathing in when my measurements were taken, and in an attempt to get away from the “just shit myself” baggy arse look, made all the relevant measurements – er……… a little tight. When they arrived [ mail order ], the ONLY way I could get them on was by wearing nothing underneath but a pair of pants [ shorts ? ] OK for sprint racing [ which is what I was then doing ], but you’d definitely end up singing falsetto if you attempted a 10 lap circuit race ! :'(

So that’s how I set out to meet the lads on Sunday morning for the run to Brands. Actually, that was our “local” and thanks to the Rotherhithe Tunnel under the Thames that brought the circuit within a 30 minute ride, rather than having to go further up the Thames for the next crossing some 90 minutes away through East End London traffic.

I’d also neglected to think about money, or more precisely where to put it ! Eventually I put it in the side panel with the tool roll.

The week prior had been quite warm and dry and I was looking forward to the ride – and having the piss taken out of me by my riding mates –3 x Bonnies, 2 x Goldies, a Triton, CSR Matchless and 2 x Super Rockets.

After the inevitable piss taking we decided to set off. “Yea we’ll all have a slow ride down so we don’t lose you TJ “ ….That lasted all of 10 minutes before I got the V’s and they all cleared off into the distance. When I finally arrived some 10 minutes after they’d all had their first fag and cuppa, I again had the piss royally taken.

We settled down in the Grandstands to watch the racing, all eyes on the “racer bloke” in the leathers. That was some consolation for the ribbing I’d taken from my mates. However, my smugness soon faded when the sun went in and the temperature dropped to the point where I was shivering uncontrollably with the cold. Then joy of joys, just as the last race ended the heavens opened up into a monumental hailstorm. By this time I was so cold and miserable – I just wanted to get home.

Actually we’d all arranged to go back to a pal’s house as he’d got some Isle of Man TT cine film footage to show us from his recent visit. The roads were virtually awash, and the route back to our village was all narrow lanes for the first 16 miles or so. We all set off – all the lads naturally had their waterproofs to throw over their leather jackets and jeans – I had bugger all !

This time I didn’t hang around or actually care if I fell off or not – I just wanted to get back in the warm and dry. Now one thing where the Easy Two DID score was the handling – the legendary Featherbed chassis and I’d fitted Avon GP tyres. It’s often said in racing that rain is a great leveler of performance differences, and I took full advantage of that. It was probably one of my personal outstanding rides in the wet [ which I hated ] and this time the tables were reversed and I arrived back at my pal’s some 15 minutes before the crew. In fact his Mother was so worried by my early arrival [ she knew the story about my humble bike AND the piss taking ] she was convinced there’d been a crash ! :eek:

My mates were equally convinced that as they hadn’t passed me, I was holed up in a caff - probably Johnson’s half way down “Death Hill” outside the circuit.

When they eventually arrived and saw the Norton parked outside they were convinced I’d found some short cut to arrive back before them. In fact I’d had a nice warm shower and was sitting with my pal’s dressing gown on when they came in. For some months after that the story of “TJ on the Easy Two in the Rain” was the talk of the lay-bye ! :)

The Norton ? That was restored to it’s BOF specs and returned to Father who had NO idea what his bike had been through ! Some 9 months later I swapped it back again for an Enfield Meteor Minor [ 500cc ] that had a “bathtub” rear enclosure similar to some of the Triumphs of the era. The Meteor had come as a freebie when I bought the ex. Bob Mac Connie.

A week later a 500 Dommie came into my possession, and that was sooooo sweet that I smoked it around for a couple of months before tearing it apart for the Triton conversion.

The racing? Camathias came out the victor with Duebel in second – Pip Harris and Chris Vincent were the best of the Brit Charioteers. In the solo races there was some guy called Minter virtually lapping everyone by the end of the race – aptly named “The King of Brands” . ;)

Father's ES2 was Dark Green.

norton-es2-1954.jpg

Great story TJ. There are so many things I can relate to in that story. Particularly the shivering, cold and wet!! BTW It was "dark green". Nortons called it "Forest Green".

Back
Top Bottom