Project "James Dean"

The Jed

Been Around the Block
This one is a bit sentimental to me. I lost my uncle a few months back to a tumor in his throat that metastisized and spread everywhere. He was one of those uncles that you always looked up to and couldn't understand why he never started a family of his own, with how he cared about his nieces and nephews.

This was his baby, he loved this bike more than any woman. My family decided I should be the one to have it. I always remembered my uncle Jim as a man that loved bikes and would do anything to spend his free time either riding or fishing.

While a 79 xs1100 is no major prize for restoration, it wouldn't be right to do anything to it to change what he enjoyed; so this one is staying as stock and clean as he kept it. The bike has sat in a corner of his garage for the last 15 years under a cover, and with 45k+ is cleaner than most on a showroom floor.

The tank is full of rust as can be expected, but most of the rubber is surprisingly still good. Not a spec of grease to be found anywhere, no frame rust, no discoloration on the pipes, just a little dust, a torn seat cover, and rust in the tank. The mtor is literally clean enough to eat off, and the paint is as close as it gets to perfect.

I won't be touching it until this winter when I can go over it meticulously. I will have to load pics later as my phone is a POS currently.

Nice one, It's good to have a project like this where you we put your soul into everything you you do to it.
Looking forward to seeing this one.

Here are a few pics of the beautiful dusty beast...
JD_1_zps8db9c154.jpg

JD_2_zps06229fbc.jpg

JD_3_zpse80be1ee.jpg

JD_4_zpsfb6db6e9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom