CB500 k0 Issues

Red Fthr

"Man is born free, and he is everywhere in chains"
My bike has been running fairly fine with the exception of a couple of remaining issues that I don't have an answer for. And while I'm here, I'm going to hopefully kill three birds with one post. Respond to one, two, or all. Thanks for the continued help!

First:
I understands vintage bikes need a moment to warm up, but I've noticed that as my bike get warmer and warmer, the RPMs climb and climb. Through out my ride I find myself fiddling with my idle screw to find that 1500 rpm mark. Eventually, after a good hard run , I'm good to go. Is this normal or should it be ready to go after reaching operating temps?

Second:
Once the bike is beyond warm (lets say I did the ton for a few miles) and then came to a quick, but not abrupt, stop. The bike shuts off. I usually circumvent this by bliping the throttle before completing the stop. What could be causing this? Overheating?

Third:
I'm running 17 front, 37 back gears, I'm thinking about going back down to stock (17,34) or even 18, 34. I thought that reaching a higher RPM quicker meant receiving more power sooner, but after looking at some gearing calculators It doesn't seem to be the case? With lower gearing it appears that you reach faster speeds quicker at a lower RPM.

I'd say your first and second issue has to do with carb sync. This needs to be done properly with vacuum gauges.

Your third issue raises the question: What are you trying to acheive? Shorter primary gearing and longer secondary gearing will give quicker pickup but lower top speed. And visa versa.

That would make sense. I have a vacuum sync but it's been acting a little wonky on me. I don't think it's been getting a great connection at the intake when testing.

And that raised question is something I go back and forth on. I inevitable want to make a proper vintage-race motorcycle. Will I ever end up on a track? Most likely not (I'd like to think so one day). But that, in my opinion, is what a cafe racer motorcycle is all about:

The attempt to hide the sharp contrast between a stock street bike and a production bike.

So I should ask myself, what would they run on a track in 1971?

Back
Top Bottom