Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Few New Pics

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65

tWistedWheelz said:
Man, great score on that tank for $21, that is one hell of a deal! Love that orange frame too! Great job!

Yeah... and it's probably the straightest tank I've seen on eBay... AAANND he was in Austin.. so right down the street (less time for USPS to make it a sad tank)...

Usually they go for around 200 bucks and there's a huge dent where the bars smashed the front of the tank in and it has a dead cat inside... so yeah.. lucked out big time.

Nice!! BMW's aren't used to turn into a cafe often enough!

Tip about the dirveshaft bolts: ALWAYS replace those with new ones, don't know if you have, but if you haven't: do it. And yes, they're a pain....

miob said:
Nice!! BMW's aren't used to turn into a cafe often enough!

Tip about the dirveshaft bolts: ALWAYS replace those with new ones, don't know if you have, but if you haven't: do it. And yes, they're a pain....

Yup! Bought new ones! But definitely a good call...

I think the R65 is a fantastic candidate for a cafe racer. Most of the Airhead cafes I've seen are R100's.. Which I'm sure are a lot of fun to buzz around on, but the R65 is about 75lbs (450lbs vs 525lbs) lighter with only about a 20hp difference (50 vs 70).. I say only, because you can surely make some of that back if you know what you're doing...

Light, nimble, plenty of power to get you around... I figure it's more about the ride than the speed anyway. (not that I wouldn't mind a delicious R100.. mmmmm...)

Oh. believe me, a R100 can be thrown around too! It helps a lot if you add frame braces to increase the stifness of the frame, but my mate can't keep up with me on the really twisty roads and he rides an R1.

Helps that I'm a far more experienced rider ;)

You know... Old BMW cafe's do something to me. I really like where your build is going bro, keep it up... This is going to look really nice! That tank you scored was only 21$?! Insane... Wicked deal.

-Slice

Nice bike! I just replaced my R75/6's diode board and regulator with Thunderbird products. Haven't gone into the charging system yet - maybe next year.

Slice said:
You know... Old BMW cafe's do something to me. I really like where your build is going bro, keep it up... This is going to look really nice! That tank you scored was only 21$?! Insane... Wicked deal.

-Slice

Thanks man. I can't freaking wait to finish it. I've got a few things to finish with putting things back together.. but the real wait is on the tank and seat to be completed. Which... I haven't really discussed the tank very much.. And I think I won't.. You'll all just have to wait and see... but I think it's going to be 1,000 amounts of rad. And yes... for 21 bucks... I couldn't believe it. It wasn't a buy it now.. just a regular old auction.. crazy town.

Add me to the folks that are loving the orange frame, I'm kind of a sucker for orange frames though. Have you ever been to "Lost and Found" on Industrial (or Riverview or whatever that street is named today) across from AMS? the owner's got a really nice BMW collection.

I look forward to seeing this bike on the streets around here. The Metroplex DTT group is getting down right respectable :)

mysta2 said:
Add me to the folks that are loving the orange frame, I'm kind of a sucker for orange frames though. Have you ever been to "Lost and Found" on Industrial (or Riverview or whatever that street is named today) across from AMS? the owner's got a really nice BMW collection.

I look forward to seeing this bike on the streets around here. The Metroplex DTT group is getting down right respectable :)

I have not seen this... but it sounds like I need to! Thanks for the kind words on the frame. I really do love how it turned out.

66replica and I have been talking about going out to Perry's in Ft Worth for a little DTT local meetup one saturday morning. He's got a CRAZY collection of bikes. Maybe I'll give Perry a call this afternoon and stick a post up on the whens and wheres. His place is freaking crazy. Guaranteed bike-boners for all....

(no homo)

Perrys Motorcycles and Sidecars? That does sound cool, I'd have to come in my van because I don't have a proper working two wheeler, but I'd definitely be down for that. Especially if he can tell me who to send my 360 jugs to be bored :)

mysta2 said:
Perrys Motorcycles and Sidecars? That does sound cool, I'd have to come in my van because I don't have a proper working two wheeler, but I'd definitely be down for that. Especially if he can tell me who to send my 360 jugs to be bored :)

Ha.. yeah.. I would definitely be caging it as well.. Can't wait to get back on two wheels...

He's been building Cafe Racers for years.. His work with the Airheads is legendary.. And you should see what he has on the second floor of building two of his collection.... (not going to spoil it)

I'm not sure if he is doing other bikes than the beemers these days, but he does all of his work in-house... so you might be able to bring your jugs to him. I'll ask about it when I call. Otherwise check with Day Custom Engine - http://www.daycustomengine.com/ I had them do my valve job and cylinders.. Wasn't super pricey. But they've got a bit of a following in the engine world.. good quality work.

Good to see that bike getting some proper attention. The kid who use to own it would always come by my second job and ride karts. It was loud and ugly, but interesting he was using an old road sign as a seat for a while... I'm up at Perry's pretty frequently he knows his shit pricey as hell too. He has really helped me out though and cut me some good breaks safe to say I would probably not be riding my bmw right now if now for his help and well charity or I would have some maxed out credit cards. I love the frame color, don't see many bmws with a frame that's not black.

BicycleBobe said:
Good to see that bike getting some proper attention. The kid who use to own it would always come by my second job and ride karts. It was loud and ugly, but interesting he was using an old road sign as a seat for a while... I'm up at Perry's pretty frequently he knows his shit pricey as hell too. He has really helped me out though and cut me some good breaks safe to say I would probably not be riding my bmw right now if now for his help and well charity or I would have some maxed out credit cards. I love the frame color, don't see many bmws with a frame that's not black.

Haha, I've seen the infamous old road sign seat first hand. It's quite a sight.

BicycleBobe said:

Holy crap you know the guy that had this thing?? And yes.. I still have the road sign seat.. I was just showing it to 66replica last night. It had fun-noodle foam glued to it.. lol.

Between the blog and the forum posts, I've always wondered if I'd come across the previous owner.. or at least someone who knew the bike.. Tell me more stories...

Nice, i love the frame colour, sounds like it will be a nice combo when complete. In for updates now.

Cheers,

Maritime

Well then how about an update then, eh?

Wheels on (although they will be coming off to get cleaned up and painted), front end on (although I will be building a new front end up after I get the tank back), motor in (this will actually stay where it is), and a few other little things..

cafematty_engine_in.jpg

66replica said:
Pay no attention to the Transformers bandaid. Haha.

Uhhhh... Yeah... Unfortunate incident with a rubber mallet.

I don't have much in the story department I know very little about the bike or the kid. He use to come up to my weekend job all the time and ride go karts. I got curious one day after seeing the bike numerous times I went out and he very proudly gave me a full tour of all the interesting mods lol. I know he bought the bike in similar condition. He was very proud of the seat the guy before him started it and he finished it up adding the road sign lol. His dad and him did the headlight and wiring together and he offered to help me wire my bike as that's what I was doing that day I graciously declined. He cut the exhaust off, I actually liked the sound. Last time he stopped by he had sold the bike and purchased a pristine cbr 600 hurricane that from the sound of it is going to share the same unfortunate fate as the bmw. I'm about to break my bmw down I have a hole laundry list of things that need to be done but send me a pm if you guys decide to do dtt meet up. Here's the old build thread on my bmw if you want to check it out...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13131.30

Back
Top Bottom