Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Few New Pics

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65

Lol. The wiring was the scariest part of the bike. I can't tell you how awful it was. The harness was cut in so many places and new pieces of wire added and strung about.

BUT. I did eventually get the bike for mega cheap. Which is how I justify spending the money I have on it. I figure when it's all done I'll have a respectable cafe for the cost of a cheaper stock R65 on Craigslist.

Also. I did like the shape of the tail piece. Love it actually. Fun fact. It looks like a sportster tank cut in half. And then haphazardly welded to the subframe. Along with some rebar... (facepalm)

The sound. I LOVE the way this bike sounds. Dirty and mean. But smooth and delicious.

Making a seat pan out of Road Sign is pretty Anarchist and seems to fit the true cafe spirit of "use what you got", why didn't I think of that haha. Nice bike, I dig the frame color also mega score on the tank. I sit and watch tanks go for $80 plus on ebay and just shake my head and wonder why people bid on shit ahead of time, you ARENT going to win it unless you babysit it at the end! lol Keep up the good work!

cafematty said:
Well then how about an update then, eh?

Wheels on (although they will be coming off to get cleaned up and painted), front end on (although I will be building a new front end up after I get the tank back), motor in (this will actually stay where it is), and a few other little things..

cafematty_engine_in.jpg

This thing is going to be SO sick when it's done.

treitz said:
This thing is going to be SO sick when it's done.

Dude, thanks! I'm pretty excited.. like.. I pee just a little bit every time I catch a glimpse of it in the garage...

I left a message with the painter / fabricator working on my tank today.. hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Anxious to find out if they're going to deliver by the 15th like they said (which I thought was a bit of a stretch)..

cafematty said:
Dude, thanks! I'm pretty excited.. like.. I pee just a little bit every time I catch a glimpse of it in the garage...

I left a message with the painter / fabricator working on my tank today.. hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Anxious to find out if they're going to deliver by the 15th like they said (which I thought was a bit of a stretch)..

LOL I don't blame you. I would pee a bit too. My bike isn't nearly that pretty and I still turn on the light in the garage every night just to make sure it's still sitting there ;-)

Keep up the momentum! Glad to see one of our newest members cranking so seriously on a project like this.

Tim said:
Keep up the momentum! Glad to see one of our newest members cranking so seriously on a project like this.

Ha thanks! The Beemer is having a rest today as I help Kzpokey with her 360 build, "Winston". We got the motor out and she's completely stripped the tank and frame. I've been shaving tabs and cleaning rust out of the tank. I'm sure she will get some pics up tonight.

I'll probably moving to the wiring harness next. Which means I need to buy a heat gun and some heat shrink. I will not be brought down by this things crazy electrical system.

Loving the bike Matty. This thing is gonna be major cool. You and 66 are really uping the rep of the DFW crew. Now I gotta step up my game. ;)

Kate, I wouldn't show you the disrespect of listing you with the rest of us meager schlubs. You are reserved for your own category of DFW cool. I was only attempting to preserve your rep, ma'am.

;) :D ;D

my buddy i ride with..
bought for $500

maybe $200 into it.
airhead.jpeg

Beard said:
bought for $500

*plugs ears* lalalalalalalalalalala not listening...

Tell you're buddy I'll give him twice what he's got into it.. ;D

Fantastic job on your project. BMW's are not on the list of easy bike to build, I've got a R65 cafe project to.

CrescentSon said:
Kate, I wouldn't show you the disrespect of listing you with the rest of us meager schlubs. You are reserved for your own category of DFW cool. I was only attempting to preserve your rep, ma'am.

;) :D ;D

8)

I don't know how I hadn't chimed in by now. I love this project, and you're doing a great job. Excellent work helping out your fellow DTT members, also.

Good to see all around.

Your build is looking amazing man... Love it.
-Slice

Thanks guys.. I'm pretty excited about it.. I spoke with the guy working on my tank.. he's saying closer to the 20th now... I fiddled with the wiring a bit last night, but didn't do anything major.. I think Sunday will be the day. Should have everything back together and ready to roll.. (except for my tank) :(

rkatapt said:
I could argue that one. My airhead is by far easier to work on than any jap bike I've ever wrenched on.

Maybe he means build up (cafe). While I completely agree with you rkatapt, these bikes are so easy to work on, it's insane... which is why people love them... and it's completely on purpose... which is weird because if you've ever tried to change spark plugs in a Chevy S10 or Blazer you'd know the engineer that put spark plug number 3 right behind the steering linkage never considered actually changing that spark plug himself..

That said.. these bikes aren't as easy to build up from a parts availability / cost perspective..... not like the Jap bikes...

A good example... I've found ONE website that sells a complete engine gasket kit for my Beemer.. and it's about $140 bucks. Since I've been looking for parts for the 360, I've found NUMEROUS sites which average about $30-$40....

Easier to wrench on, harder to source parts for.

Back
Top Bottom