Buy one or have one built?

Perferd

Would it be more cost effective to buy a bike already done or to have one built?

I always see ads saying they put $× amount of money and time into the bike but they only want $x in return or can only get #x.

Now let's say you have one built there is no way you will get so much extra money and time into it by only putting out so much right?

Does that make sense lol...

Assuming your talking about a "customized vintage" machine. it COULD be more cost effective to buy a bike already built.

BUT heres my REAL answer...

Neither! Its a Life Safety thing and youve boiled it down to "the cheapest way of doing it"

Do it yourself.

You will save $ on labor building it yourself. However, you will waste some $ during the learning process.

Most importantly, you will know "HOW" it was built, inside and out.

You could buy a beautiful machine thats one kick away from total disaster.

Or pay someone who is in the business of making a profit doing something you could have done yourself.

Sure theres reputable builders out there, BUT...

Bottom line...Some guys take shortcuts, mistakes can be made, items overlooked.

I wouldnt trust my life with.

Every modified bike I've bought has had issues, mostly caused by people trying to save money on the build, electrics especially, either buy a standard bike or build it yourself.

My goal was to buy a ducati Aprilia BMW or mv agusta. After doing my research I can't quite commit to $19+k for a bike. Over the years i have had Honda kawasaki and the like but every Tom dick and Harry has one and I want to be different. I don't build I only ride and do a little maintenance. This lead me to either buying a bike done or having one built. I wasn't thinking bills bike he has been tinkering on for 10 years out of his garage though but more or less a builders bike in inventory or commission one...

You could have this one for $11000. :)

Attachments

• 100_1091.JPG
    100_1091.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 602
Beauty...

For this style, cafe, I won't be discriminating against any make or model just because not many guys riding them around...

I will say though price is right there. I was willing to commit to $15k but the bikes my goal was set at all started at $17 plus tax and what not...my bad for not being better prepared...

Good advice from Trek and Julian. Great offer from Semmins for a one of a kind, properly built Ducati. If the timing were better for me I'd have that Ducati crated and on a ship.

Wish I could but I don't have the time or the resources or the knowledge.

As for buying a bike I wanted something specific and I won't settle just to have a bike.

You need to find someone like me in your area, I built a custom cruiser for my boss, he paid for all the parts and I charged him a whopping $5 an hour for labour, he got a nice, properly built mild custom. I got beer money and a chance to build a bike I'd never afford on my own budget. Not sure there is a person in your neck of the woods who would do something like that. If I were closer I would as I don't have a winter project of my own this winter except a few little things to sort on my GL.

Or find a person who will help you build it yourself. My boss was a president of a company and had 0 time to learn or do any of the work, or else I'd have shown him. If you don't have the tools or space, make friends with someone who does and bring beer and wrench. It's way more rewarding than writing a cheque.

There are a couple builders in my area and I would bet a couple more if I looked hard enough. That being said though how do you choose one if you want them to build you a bike vs buying one of their presence done bikes?

Perferd said:
Wish I could but I don't have the time or the resources or the knowledge.

As for buying a bike I wanted something specific and I won't settle just to have a bike.

Not sure who this comment is aimed at, but $15k would likely put Semmins Duke in your driveway. What is it your looking for...pics would help.

Perferd said:
Would it be more cost effective to buy a bike already done or to have one built?

This depends on how much your time is worth and whether or not you'd rather spend it doing something besides building a bike.

Every bike I've built (that is, taking it down to the nuts and bolts, engine included) has been at least a couple of hundred hours of work.

So you need to ask yourself: Is there something I could be doing with that time that will earn me decent money?

If your answer is yes, then having your bike built will almost definitely cost you less than buying one.

Those of us who build, don't usually do it because we're saving money.

I don't know LOL. I'd never pay someone to build me one, I would pay for welding or a skill I don't have but look for good references.

I look at it this way...I won't be putting my own pool in or doing my own root canal cause I know nothing about either...that goes for building a bike lol...

As for price it wasn't directed at anyone just what I was looking at. I see tons of bills garage special for $2350 but not looking for that...

Gotcha, I get it. I have plenty of riding buddies in your boat. They don't want to or don't have time to do their own bikes. The answer is find a reputable shop/builder who will give you what you want within your budget. You could also find a shop who you could take a custom you like and look it over for issues before you buy. Pay them a reasonable fee to spend an hour going over a bike someone has built you like and giving you a cost to repair anything sketchy. And I also would not do my own root canal..... ;D

Buy car, like a Toyota Camry. Motorcycles are addictive and they'll just take all of your money eventually.

You'd think your budget would be enough to buy a preperlyy sorted custom built bike...however, if you desire something very specific in brand/model/style/quality then having one built for you would get you almost exactly what you want...at a price.

Choosing a builder is tricky, but doing research before handing over your hard earned $ will pay dividends in the end. Befriending local builders, or at least visiting their workshops and chatting to them about your plans just might unearth a potential project or purchase.

Also, once you have the bike who'll repair it? if you can do minor maintenance that's cool, but the bigger jobs, outside of a main dealer, will require a trusted techie, so get out there and see who's about in your manor.

For the record, I'm building my own bike as a hobby project on a budget as I don't have the ££s to buy. And, from what I've seen out there I come in well under the asking price of any bike I'd want to own...so it's a no brainer for me. I don't posess all the skillz required, but have friends who can chip in when needed, I do as much as I can for the satisfaction factor as there's nothing quite like riding/driving a vehicle you've built and know inside out :D

Hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm only really looking for the look the sound and dependability. I couldn't careless about make model ect but it does need to pull me around the highway at a good clip and make it on a nice trip trough the mountains and valleys carving it up...

I am not sure how the process goes as far as building a bike for someone. If I had to guess I would just give some examples of bikes I like color schemes riding type and what not. From there thwy would come up with a plan and pitch it to me. As for parts and configurations that would be beyond me.

I have seen some really nice bikes I like on kijiji for sale so I do like the idea of taking to someone to check it out throughly...

Back
Top Bottom