Exile - 1972 CL450

Ha, funny. Thanks again. I used the parts I needed and then sent the rest to a friend in Pennsylvania, but the USPS lost them.

END OF LINE

Mcgoo said:
So... I've reached a decision point with the bike. Getting the title for the bike, means that I am willing to spend slightly more to get this thing going than I was previously. And now that I've had a chance to go through the top end of the engine I've found a couple of things that may change the direction I want to go in. The cam lobes were lightly rusted when I got the bike. I cleaned them up with PB blaster and some very light rubbing with 800 grit paper. The rust is off but there is some slight pitting on the nose of the cam lobe on all 4 lobes. Also the cam follower/rockers, are in ok shape but not great - 2 of them are for sure showing some wear. If I put these parts into the bike as is then the pitted cam lobes will make short work of the rockers. The solution to all of this is to send the cams and the rockers off to Megacycle to have them resurfaced and hardened. The cost of that alone is $770. That's way more than I have into the bike so far. The original plan was to knock out a cool bobber/chopper for less than a grand.
I really don't think there is any point in rebuilding the engine without doing the head-work, but what I can't decide is whether I should put a race engine with Megacycle cams/rockers and Wiseco pistons into a hardtail, with 35mm forks and drum brakes all round... Or... Should I go for a more speed orientated, café/brat/race replica. I honestly don't really know what to do. I start each day with the decision to go for a racer then by evening I'm back to a bobber - advice appreciated

will a 500t cam work? I think there may have been an extra one in the box when I parted on out. I can look, but if it works for you and you pay for the ride its yours. Im not sure if its exhaust or intake... hmmm ill look. Let me know..

The 500T is basically stroked 450 so yeah the cams are the same... "basically" I would guess the cam profiles are not identical and the question will be... is it for the greater good or bad.

The good news is... OPTIONS baby! gotta love options man hell why not keep eyes out for an entire 500T top end, anything in fine order under $500 seems a bargain... no?

hurco550 said:
will a 500t cam work? I think there may have been an extra one in the box when I parted on out. I can look, but if it works for you and you pay for the ride its yours. Im not sure if its exhaust or intake... hmmm ill look. Let me know..

I suspect the cam will fit. The combustion chamber is different so the full head swap would lower compression. But the internals are apparently a direct swap.
Thanks man appreciate the offer!

yes sir. I will look tonight. Do you need both cams? or just one or the other? I had a whole head that I sold (see thread hijack convo above), but the bike came with buckets of parts, I think there may have been lifters in there too.

It's just the intake cam I need now. I got an exhaust cam for 25 plus 10 shipping on eBay. If you have rockers that are smooth I'll pay you for those too. Thanks man!

The front drum brake was missing the linkage and cams so I was looking for replacement parts there too. They're not as common as you may expect and most sellers want to send the whole wheel... And charge for it too. After some research I found out that a Suzuki 500t hub would work well too... In fact it would be a better brake. After some searching and negotiation I scored a 500t hub and axel on ebay.... Sweet!

This is a link for drum brake comparison which you may find interesting.
http://victorylibrary.com/brit/2LS-table.htm

Slow going on this project, I've been enjoying the summer and riding as much as possible.

I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, cleaned and reassembled the forks, new seals and oil. I'm replacing all of the seals and snap rings throughout. I got a new-to-me rotor. The back of mine was chewed up and out of balance, presumably from when the bike threw the starter chain. All cases are polished now.

The next part will be relacing the wheels. I'm going for stainless spokes. The rims are in good shape. The chrome has some pitting though so I think I'm going to scratch it up as best I can and paint the rims. I've heard that with some sanding and a self etching primer the results can be good but any feedback from experience here would be appreciated.

IMG_0212.JPG

Before

IMG_0254.JPG

After

IMG_0583.JPG

Before

IMG_0581.JPG

Cleaned up and trimming the gauge tabs off - going minimal on this one

I solved my dilemma surrounding the pitted cams and worn rockers. Replacement cams were readily available for little cash on ebay, but the rockers were a different story. After procrastinating sending my worn ones to Megacycles a new set came up on ebay. I picked them up for 50 bucks, and they are in great shape.
I lapped the valves today and they passed the acetone test with flying colors. So now I'm just waiting for the valve stem seals to come in so I can rebuild the head.
In the meantime I got on with fixing up some other parts.
The tank was in decent shape but rusty inside. I cleaned it thoroughly with an acetone wash to clear out the varnish, then filled it with 3 gallons of Metal Rescue and left it for 24 hours. Today I emptied it (keeping the Metal Rescue for later reuse) and the inside is now shiny bright steel. I stripped the paint off the tank and cut out the badge flanges so I could get the rust out from behind there.
After all the cleanup I finally got to fill the gaps left by the flanges with Bondo, as well as repairing a few shallow dings, and got the tank primed.
I'm using UPol rattle can paint... It's awesome stuff. The acid etch primer is very aggressive and the high primer does a great job of leveling the surface for the finish coat.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Progress continues...

I rebuilt the front forks and polished the fork lowers. Then I tore down the front wheel. It's from A '72 T500. My original drum was covered in badly flaking chrome so I picked this wheel up a while back. I was initially going to polish the hub and brake drum, but the chrome on the rim was a little bit pitted. It cleaned up great but I don't want to re-chrome - I'm going for the black wheel look now.

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

Back
Top Bottom