"Deborah". First build. 11 CB350's and 360's. So it begins.

Thanks. That made a lot of sense. I'm just having a bad day. My birthday's tomorrow and I feel old. The bike has given me gray hairs too which really pisses me off. I be better in a couple days and start back on the bike without wanting to blow it up. Thanks Matt.

Tempted to deleted my ranting in this post but resisted. If anyone new reads this build then they can fully understand how frustrating it gets sometimes.

I just got my cam followers. Sent out 36 of them to be resurfaced whether they needed it or not. Question though. Some of them were pretty worn. I figured they'd have to be welded or something. The company that did them just ground them all down to the same profile. Don't they have to be recoated with "hard surface" stuff so it resists wear? lol. Also won't the thickness be too thin now to adjust properly? I know the descriptions pretty vague but I have no idea of the process. Let alone the correct way it's supposed to be done.

It's usually common to add metal before grinding them into shape, yes. Adjustment shouldn't be too much of a problem, though. Do be sure the metal is properly hardened though. That is a necessary process.

They said that there's a layer of hardened metal but wouldn't elaborate on how thick it is. I really got the impression that they were talking out their ass but it's a really big company who does stuff for businesses and not usually walk in's like me. So my thought process on whether they're full of shit is conflicting. I just wish I knew someone who would know for sure. Maybe I'll swing by a couple machinists tomorrow with the followers and get their opinions too.

That's pretty much correct. The followers only have a layer of hardened metal over the cast iron. I can't remember correctly, but I think the tappets might be hardened as well.

You can see in this pic, on the left side, where the hardened metal and cast iron meet. It's only a thin layer (2mm?) of hardened steel over the iron.

73396_492634555158_2296413_n.jpg

Awesome! Well I had some pretty crappy ones. Not as bad as that one Matt but bad enough. Most of mine look like they have that thin layer on them. Some of them are questionavble but I didn't pay much so not a total loss.

So I just traded 2 of my cb 360 projects that were down to frames/engines and parts for 2 of these. Plastics are a bit rough but the 500 Interceptor runs and the 750 ninja just needs a little TLC.

Sorry no pic. Damn server won't upload it and it's only 2 megs.

Well time to get back on it. I got frustrated trying to figure out how to degree the cam so I slacked off over winter. Girly is going away for 3 months to Europe and Asia though so I'll have lots of time to play with toys.

Back
Top Bottom