The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

kwando said:
… another reason to get on the treadmill.

I could lose a few kilos myself! It would be cheaper/easier than removing the equivalent weight from the bike.

Boosting the 'Ace' to 250cc seems tempting, but not without a serious brake upgrade!

Crazy

I am 6'1", 87 kilos and I feel fine. I have long arms and legs and the only complaint I have is I feel the handlebar isnt wide enough, my hands seem to drift out, but I've only been on the bike for 4-5 days now.

I too was concerned about how comfortable I would be, I do about 13kms commute each day and its fine.

ChrisBNE said:
I too was concerned about how comfortable I would be, I do about 13kms commute each day and its fine.

yeah short rides no issues, but im sometimes riding it 640km in one day (thats seven hours in the saddle, then you know its no crusier :O

My Ace has arrived safe & sound and is settling in with her sisters:)

1271097_10151871006307200_1004660689_o.jpg

In another news, as I mentioned above on my first ride out I dropped the bike and bent the brake pedal. Contacted Ikonik and they send one FOC overnight express to get me back on the road.

Awesome customer service!

I for the life of me cannot get the stock mirrors into a position where I can see much behind me. Side lanes absolutely, but because I am quite broad the stock ones just are not right for me.

So I have ordered some bar end mirrors from Third Gear (they have free shipping this week until Friday!): http://www.thirdgear.com.au/products/Bradford-Black-Motorcycle-Bar-End-Mirrors.html

Hope I can use the stock grips still, might need to mod them or worst comes to worst buy some new ones.

ChrisBNE said:
Hope I can use the stock grips still, might need to mod them or worst comes to worst buy some new ones.

You need to cut the ends of the grips and you will find metal weights in the bar ends, you cant pull them out, you need to get a socket extension or metal bar and knock the weights about an inch or so into the handlebars to get the bar endders to fit on.
(it takes a little bit of force)

sprocket2cog said:
You need to cut the ends of the grips and you will find metal weights in the bar ends, you cant pull them out, you need to get a socket extension or metal bar and knock the weights about an inch or so into the handlebars to get the bar endders to fit on.
(it takes a little bit of force)

Thanks for the information, really appreciate it. If I can just cut off the ends with a stanley knife, that would be ideal.

ChrisBNE said:
Thanks for the information, really appreciate it. If I can just cut off the ends with a stanley knife, that would be ideal.
yep thats exactly what i did, just make sure to take enough off the throttle side grip, so it dosnt touch the mirror or it can bind up and stick while your riding. leave about a 5mm gap

ChrisBNE said:
I am 6'1", 87 kilos and I feel fine. I have long arms and legs and the only complaint I have is I feel the handlebar isnt wide enough, my hands seem to drift out, but I've only been on the bike for 4-5 days now.

Hi Chris, that's good to hear (not the part where the bars feel too narrow). I don't plan on taking any trips longer than 10k each way. Is this your first bike?

- Sean

I wonder if in 15-20 years time a well kept/unused Ace will ever be considered a classic.

The CR110 begat the Dream 50 begat the Ace 125

An unregistered 97 UK Dream 50 for £8k
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB50V-DREAM-50-NEVER-BEEN-STARTED-OR-REGD-AND-JUST-1-PUSHED-KM-PERFECT-/281183416900?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4177d67244

An original CR110 for £28k
http://www.racebikemart.com/adverts/honda_cr110__1234175770.php

kwando said:
Hi Chris, that's good to hear (not the part where the bars feel too narrow). I don't plan on taking any trips longer than 10k each way. Is this your first bike?

- Sean

First bike after riding a 50cc scooter for 18 months. I am sure I will get used to the handlebar, just a new riding position etc, body takes a while to get used to it.

Re: the "Ace" - adding lightness!

stroker crazy said:
Thanks Chris.

Been thinking about removing the starter, as I kickstart it anyway. It doesn't look easy to do tidily so I've put in on the back burner until I get all the current changes finished.

I do have one weight saving underway:

item.JPG

Seeing that I'm moving the battery to underneath the seat hump, I went for something smaller and lighter!

Don't know about 100k being the new ton, but it's good to have a goal to aim for (and surpass).

Crazy

Boy these Shorais are light. Received mine in the post today , almost felt like there was nothing in the box!!

Checked the manual this morning and there is a service due at 150kms, for valve clearances and cam chain, which is out of my leauge. Local mechanic wants $330+ parts to do it.

Is it imperitive, or just wait until the 1000km mark?

I was going to change the oil arounmd 500kms, or should I do this earlier?

ChrisBNE said:
Checked the manual this morning and there is a service due at 150kms, for valve clearances and cam chain, which is out of my leauge. Local mechanic wants $330+ parts to do it.

Is it imperitive, or just wait until the 1000km mark?

I was going to change the oil arounmd 500kms, or should I do this earlier?

there is no cam chain, its a pushrod motor and you dont even need to take the tank off to get it done.. mine cost $38.80 at a shop to get done. i just said i want the clearance done on a two valve push rod motor and it dosnt use shims just screw nut adjusters.

changing oil is cheap , i do it every 600-700km as there is only 800ml of oil in the case.

sprocket2cog said:
there is no cam chain, its a pushrod motor and you dont even need to take the tank off to get it done.. mine cost $38.80 at a shop to get done. i just said i want the clearance done on a two valve push rod motor and it dosnt use shims just screw nut adjusters.

changing oil is cheap , i do it every 600-700km as there is only 800ml of oil in the case.

No worries, thanks for the advice, the local mechanic wanted $330 plus parts!!

I will go back to them...

Back
Top Bottom