XV750 "Twisted Cafe" project. An ever evolving vision.

thanks for those dimensions! i dont think i would run undertail, with the squared off lines of the tank and rear tail, i think the dual round kerkers would look off, just my two pennies.

I have always liked scrambler pipes on the smaller bikes. So, I'd like to see a scrambler style 2 into 1 into 2 with the Kerkers stacked, or a 2 into 1 with one Kerker can.

Swagger said:
I've got a pair of Mikuni TM38 flat slides I'll be running on mine.

Bingo Lee - just confirmed my order for 38mm Amal Mk2 Concentrics. It'll be a while yet, but it will be interesting to see how the two makes compare.

this is a really awesome build. i love the direction you're going with the build. theres a torn down 81 750 Virago (supposedly running before tear down) on craiglist in my area for 350, this thread is really tempting me to go look at it...

Hey!
i gon't know how i missed this build! really like it!
also wanted to ask : did u rebuild the engine?
what did u use to paint it black?
did u take the heads off to do it?
planing to (maybe) paint mine too but not quite sure yet..

any update/progress here!?
Cheers!

No rebuild. I purchased the bike with 10k mi and it ran really smooth and quiet, no smoke. I rode it around for about a month before I tore into it. It was hilarious to ride because I have always ridden race reps. Anyway, when I pulled the covers off, there was a small amount of sludge in the case and the magnet (to catch the starter gear bits) only had a small amount of shavings. So, it is in pretty good condition. I didn't pull the heads or cylinders to paint. Still, it was painstaking to mask off. I used Rustoleum engine primer and engine enamel. I've had good results with it in the past. Since my projects take so long, there is ample cure time. Ha! I am planning out the subframe and doing work on the tank right now. The DOHC cb 750 has priority at the moment, however. I would like to have it finished by early summer.

biker_reject said:
I was thinking this kit. Uses a H-D carb (not included). Haven't decided if 200 I'm willing to drop 200 bones into a little intake like this.

Ya I wouldn't get that manifold. Its been proven without a proper divider section dividing the fuel equally, your cylinders will not run evenly.

Finishing up the cb750 for entry in a bike show Jan 24th, so no progress on the Yamaha except for me cleaning the dust off it. Ha! Next bike in line is the XV, for sure. I'm actually thinking about taking that one to Sturgis next year. Fingers crossed.

Life changing event. New house, new town, new state. Took several months just to settle in. Picked up where I left off. Need to redo the subframe. Cut some templates for the rear sets I scored on fleabay, found some nice clip ons, got some shorty levers and an trick looking aftermarket master cylinder.

Attachments

• cap 640.jpg
    cap 640.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 1,091
  • lt template.jpg
    lt template.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 314
  • right template.jpg
    right template.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • rt template.jpg
    rt template.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 1,095
Repurposed (God I hate that word! Ha!) my cb headlight bracket!

Attachments

• shift linkage.jpg
    shift linkage.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 308
  • subrame 1.jpg
    subrame 1.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 345
  • rt headlight.jpg
    rt headlight.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 304
  • lt headlight.jpg
    lt headlight.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 298
Finding a machine shop that will do small one-of parts is difficult here. At my old home town, I worked with a great "job shop" for several years and developed a relationship with those guys. They knew what I was about and were really helpful. My new town is much smaller though it's a state capital. All the machine shops do production runs and welding shops are linked to industry, mostly Ford and Toyota. So, I found a retired machinist who now does custom stuff. Gonna see what all he can do for me. We still have boxes and a storage unit with our crap in them! Moving is a huge nut.

Back
Top Bottom