"La Pastinaca" CB450 498cc Big Bore Engine Built By DWMS Racing!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cylinders painted & valve spring conversion

That would be a PAMCO if I'm not mistaken. very popular with the XS650 crowd. Recently released for teh 450 and SOHC 4s

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cylinders painted & valve spring conversion

Today I installed the new Tsubaki timing chain, a new timing chain roller guide in the top case, and a new cylinder base gasket onto the cases.

The paint on the cylinders had dried nicely so I also installed a new o-ring around the base of each cylinder, checked the clearances of all the piston rings, and assembled the pistons, rings, wristpins, circlips, and cylinders on to the engine.

000_0006_03.jpg

000_0007_05.jpg

000_0010_02.jpg

000_0012_01.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Big bore pistons installed

I have been doing some research on the Pamco unit that Brother Habanero52 posted the photo of earlier and it looks like it was released just a few months ago for the cb450 and from what I have found so far everyone seems to have had good results with it.

I am considering getting one to test on the reverse port as he also offers them for the cb550.

I normally do not link to other sites but as it is a 20 page thread with the builder of this ignition I thought others may be interested. I am not a member there I just found it on google.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1030

I read most of that thread and the Pamco seems to have good reviews from those that are running them on the cb450 so far.

My main concern from looking at the photos of the ignition is that the small wiring is not protected with an epoxy, etc. as most motorsports electronics are to protect the small wiring from vibration and breaking.

Has anyone here run a Pamco ignition on any other make of motorcycle and if so could you share your experiences with us please.

I have been sanding the engine covers since they arrived and worked on the stator cover some more today.

Brother Habanero52 asked me to polish the cover and paint the Honda lettering red, I also painted the background of the Honda logo satin black to match the engine cases and cylinders to see what it would look like but that may change as I will have to see what Brother Habanero52 likes the looks of best.

Here is a photo of how the cover looked when I received it.

000_0022.jpg

I still have more polishing to do but I bolted the cover to the engine as well as the sprocket cover to take a couple of photos.

000_0013_00.jpg

000_0015_01.jpg

That.....is fantastic! There are so many ways to finish,the 450/500t engine, like this.....tons for work and sweat and time, or like me....lazy. Sheesh...I got lucky with as perfect an engine as you could ask for. This one will just be perfect.....

Hey Joey.....(sorry for the extra post....lazy again) you surely mentioned it previously but I really am feeling lazy. What type of paint did you use on the main cases and cylinders? It really does look a treat.

Mr.Very Hot Pepper(Hahahaha...might be a little drunk too),
So I can't remember if you've mentioned or not but what are your thoughts about the chassis for this beastie? Care to dish?

Im running a PAMCO on my 125, works fine.

Mr. Moore, how long have you been using it?

Amazing project! When can you start on my 450?!? :p

Brother Swagger the paint I used on the cases and cylinders, and we will be using it on the cylinder head as well, is VHT SP903 which is a satin black color and is a specially formulated case paint for motorcycles and atv's. The SP903 is also good to 550 degrees and is gas and oil resistant. After discussing it with Brother Habanero52 we are also not going to run the red letters so I am going to polish them for more of a classic look.

Brother ffjmoore it is great to see you here I have not talked to you in a while! As Brother Habanero52 already asked please give us some more information about your experience with the Pamco ignition if you do not mind.

Brother schaubster thank you from both myself and Brother Habanero52 for the compliment! I can start on your 450 immediately, just say the word man!

I will try to add some new photos later on this evening.

Habanero52 said:
Mr. Moore, how long have you been using it?
Since early june.
There is nothing much to report. i put it on, set the timing, bolted the cover back on and have been ridding it ever since.

IMAG0058.jpg

Thank you Brother ffjmoore, we have been hearing good things about the Pamco ignition and hoped that some members here would share their experiences with it.

This afternoon I assembled the oil filter rotor and installed the clutch cover with new stainless bolts.

000_0003_05.jpg

000_0004_06.jpg

revheadgl said:
Stop it Joe, youre making the rest of us look bad!!!!

Brother I am just trying to get a head start before you unleash the photos of the lime spider with a turbo and make us all look really bad!

revheadgl said:
Haha! It will turn out alright but I definitely dont have your attention to detail.

Those are modest words for a man of your creative genius! You forget..I have seen your motorcycles!

Can I see pictures of them? ;D

I ran a pamco in my last xs650, I beat that bike like a bad stepchild and the ignition was a set and forget.

Well that settles it! Brother Swagger I am going to have to get one and try it on the reverse port! I am awaiting Brother Habanero52's decision on what he will run on this engine.

Habanero52 said:
Can I see pictures of them? ;D

Brother Habanero52 if you click on the lime spider or xl100 minimus in Brother revheadgl's messages it will take you to his build threads. Brother Swagger has a nice cb450 going togethor in the bob and chop section titled "Sakura the Saki Rocket", Brother Teazer has a cool GT750 titled "Phat Trakka" in the trackers section...everyone who has posted here and supported your thread is very talented and have beautiful builds that you would enjoy!

Today I filed and sanded the edges of the cylinder heads cooling fins and painted the head.

I set it on the engine to let the paint cure and took a couple of photos. I still have to do the finish work on the fin edges but here is how it looks so far.

000_0012_02.jpg

000_0013_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom