3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

So I finally was able to pickup my engine covers from the Powder Coater yesterday. Now that I'm back on track... i'll work on getting the motor back together, exhaust mounted and onto the body work.

I got out and started getting the motor back together today...
Here I have the heads and push rod tubes installed and torqued down.

Rocker boxes installed

Rocker box covers installed.

Next up I'll get the covers on tomorrow... now off to the movies with a hot blonde.

Got the right side mostly together today. Getting excited... now onto the left side and then the exhaust.

I'm learning about these bikes while I work on my first one. How do you deal with the crankcase breather since you're not using the hollow bolts to mount your air cleaner bracket? I just forked out $45 for two of those bolts, but I'm curious if there was an option I missed. Forums talk about rocker box breathers, but I'm not sure I have that option.

irk miller said:
I'm learning about these bikes while I work on my first one. How do you deal with the crankcase breather since you're not using the hollow bolts to mount your air cleaner bracket? I just forked out $45 for two of those bolts, but I'm curious if there was an option I missed. Forums talk about rocker box breathers, but I'm not sure I have that option.

The bolts are gun drilled and vented below the head and there's a pathway into the carb inlet... so it's as you'd expect, it's just hidden well.

You can see in this diagram how it's put together... (these intakes are CHEAP and built really well.)

s-l1600.jpg

You need a lathe, best investment I ever made. paid for itself many times over.... I'd drilled off the shelf bolts myself before forking out moolah like that on specialty bolts. Sportster parts are all over ebay and aftermarket... post wanted ads on HDforums and even CL or Facebook market place... not hard to find what you need.

I have a lathe, but for some reason I bought the bolts off the shelf. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing in how it all worked.

I needed a spare set of hands to install the exhaust, so my buddy George came over today and helped me out. I might need to add some spacers to move the exhaust tip out a little but I won't know for sure until I get the weight back down on the rear wheel... anyway here's how it looks with the pipes.

Got the primary side put back together today... I think I'll need to shorten the clutch cable a couple of inches... it's okay but could be a smidgen tidier. So far this bike has been an absolute pleasure to work on mechanically speaking.

I did a swap of the original chrome kickstand for a 1" longer black one to keep the thing from leaning over too far with the extra lift from the longer shocks. I did pick my paint color and have it on order. I am going with a Jeep Sunburst Orange... I'll probably work in a graphic of some kind, I'll think about it while I'm drunk in Mexico next week. Hopefully the weather will warm up enough for me to paint soon... that's all that is left besides some final assembly and tail light wiring.

Now I'm finally onto the pretty bits and onto prepping for paint... I had a few extra holes in the rear fender to weld up so I knocked that out tonight.

I managed to get all the body work done and get the thin into primer. I'm going to give everything a final sanding and get a sealer coat on things this week with the anticipation of getting some color laid down this coming weekend. I'll probably paint it in two sessions, fenders then tank and side covers... or maybe just the tank separately form everything else.

Back
Top Bottom