My quest to learn to pinstripe.

Bucky685

Been Around the Block
I am going to try my hand at free hand pinstriping. I started this week, It is def. going to take a while to get proficient at it.
One thing i have learned after reading is start opposite side that you are painting with. That way you can see what you just did..
I didn't read that until after I did these.

Here is two test piece I did last night. This is only my second time using the brush. The black/red piece was with no guid or pictures. I have along way to go before I pinstripe my bike. But i was pretty pleased with it. Considering what my first time looked like ???
I was using one shot paint, and a "0" brush. I "tried" to fix a couple mistakes and make it end up looking worse that the mistake :eek:

Anyway; constructive critisim is always helpfull!

Attachments

• 8-29-13.jpg
    8-29-13.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 1,939
  • 8-29-13-PRACTICE.jpg
    8-29-13-PRACTICE.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,937
Work on your line control; you're overloading the brush, too, and you may want to consider thinning the paint a bit.

Looking like a nice start. Best tip I know, aside from what rich already said is to always look/focus where you want the line to end up, not at the brush.

Thanks for the tips Rich Ard and mysta2. I appreciate the input!
I will keep those tips in mind!

Good luck dude! Not a bad start at all. I've tried getting into striping a couple of times but never practiced enough to get good (story of my life). There are nice sheets available that you can print out which have the various lines and curves on them so you can get the technique down before you get into the specific designs. I taped them to the back of a piece of glass/plexi from an old picture frame so I could wash off the paint and try again without having to come up with new surfaces to stripe.

Thanks guys for the tips it seemed to help me a bit. Here is the piece I did on glass this afternoon while the munchkin was sleeping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 541
If I may - slow down. It's going to be hard to build good habits if you skip past learning to control line weight, distance from a centerline, a fluid draw of the brush, etc. and try to jump right into making rad stuff.

Rich Ard; thanks for the reality check! I downloaded some "drill" sheets. I will practice those until I'm get good habits!! Thanks!

I did some practice last night. Did some straight line work (not shown). I am getting better at straight lines, much more consistance since i'm not loading the brush as much. Then i did some "arc" practice. Just trying to have fun with it. I'll scrape it off and try, try, try again!

Couple questions--
After I was striping for a while, when I finished my line it would not end cleanly. It would get a little better with minerial spirits. I think my paint was drying out on me.
Occisionly when doing curves, the brush would flare out slightly. Is it the brush? or is my paint not thin enough?
I am using a "0" brush I got from speedway. It is a few of the "heavy" lines. When I went back and did a second pass.

Attachments

• 9-4-13.jpg
    9-4-13.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 1,771
Tonight's practice, I think it is my best one yet. Still allot to go to get more comfortable! Starting to get a feel for how to thin the paint so it flows nicely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 531
A few from this weekend. I am having allot of fun with this! Eventually, i might just pinstripe everything in my house!!

Attachments

• 9-8-13.jpg
    9-8-13.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 485
  • 9-7-13 (toolbox-01).jpg
    9-7-13 (toolbox-01).jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 9-6-13.jpg
    9-6-13.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,633
from someone that doesn't know anything about pinstriping. some of your later pieces are starting to look a lot better.

mAd mOrdigan said:
from someone that doesn't know anything about pinstriping. some of your later pieces are starting to look a lot better.

Thank you.
Here are a few new ones I have done.

Attachments

• 9-12-13 (DESIGN).jpg
    9-12-13 (DESIGN).jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 9-12-13.jpg
    9-12-13.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1,508
  • 9-15-13(FLYING EYE BALL).jpg
    9-15-13(FLYING EYE BALL).jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 9-17-13.jpg
    9-17-13.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 1,626
You're getting there man. Way better already. Need to get yourself a variety of high quality brushes now.

VonYinzer said:
You're getting there man. Way better already. Need to get yourself a variety of high quality brushes now.

Thanks!!

I just picked up 2 new brushes. A kafka #3 scroller and a kafka "00" longliner. The red/white on black was done with the scroller.

Cool man! Do yourself a favor, and pick up some of the reprints of Ed Roths pinstriping how to books. There's some really killer stuff in them that'll help you along.

Looking really nice, I always wanted to learn myself. My biggest concern would be symmetry side to side would be, The rate you're going, once you get that nailed your golden.

i think your stuff is looking really cool. Next step is talking someone into letting you do their bike right? I'd like to have my helmet done what's the worst that could happen just strip it off.

Back
Top Bottom