Back at it....this time with an 81 Suzuki GN400.

Great build.! Love that wild style.
Building a GN400 myself right now.
I've got a Dunlop K70 and want to order a Firestone ANS.
But what size fits?
Thought it was a 4.5x16 but the tirelabel on the picture you posted says 5.00x16.
What should I order?

Rear is a 5.0-16. It fits fine. The K-70 on the front is a 4.0-18. I'm pretty sure a Firestone ANS 4.5-18 will fit too, just havent had a chance to buy one and test it out.

C8936785-B91C-4595-8A24-4C2BD8BB2F64-5745-00000280403EF82A_zpsd0326761.jpg

My son and I are doing a gn 400 and was wondering about a sealed battery from ebay with more amp hrs ? would this power the lights better? thanks Jay

From wyhat I understand, the lights get their power direct from the coil, so I don't think a bigger battery would do much. My headlight dims a bit at idle, but is nice and bright while riding. My battery is 1.2 amps. Taillight has a 6v LED bulb in it and is super bright.

Does anybody know if the forks of the Holiday Customs GN400 are lowered internally?
It looks like they are just lowerderd in the steering stem.
My fork seals are leaking, so I've got to rebuild mine anyway.

Almost positive they're lowered internally. I tried just sliding them up in the trees and the front end was just way too high. Internal is the way to go. I took 3" out of mine.

There are two little holes covered from the spacers then.
Think they are some sort of oil channels.
Any problems with that?

ajeevisser said:
Does anybody know if the forks of the Holiday Customs GN400 are lowered internally?
It looks like they are just lowerderd in the steering stem.
My fork seals are leaking, so I've got to rebuild mine anyway.

cierrecart said:
Almost positive they're lowered internally. I tried just sliding them up in the trees and the front end was just way too high. Internal is the way to go. I took 3" out of mine.

I actually emailed Jared a little while ago asking how he lowered the forks on the CB450 projects he'd done and all he said is that he cut the springs in order to shorten them. Not sure if thats 100% the only thing he did but it seems an easier route then having the fork tubes themselves machined and shortened down. I think I might take the spring cutting option to my forks and see what happens..

If he cut the springs, then he likely added spacers, which is what actually causes the lowering effect. That's what I did on this bike. No need to do anything to the tubes themselves.

I made some 2" spacers. Think that's the right way to go.
Cierrecart used 3" spacers and his fork is very low.
Is it right I have to cut the springs 2" too?

cierrecart said:
Cut and shaped a Walmart workout may today. Glued 3 layers on, cut to shape then used a flap disc to shape it a bit. Should be good enough. I plan to have it professionally upholstered. Looking at black leather/vinyl with red stitching in either tuck n roll or diamond pattern.

B929CF20-D2EC-49FC-87E0-FF21AEBAF33D-3023-00000578E0707983.jpg

What glue did you use to stick the layers together and to glue it on the base?

grtz
Manu

ajeevisser said:
ajeevisser said:
ajeevisser said:

I still have decent travel and plenty of clearance. You can cut the spring the same length as the spacers you added, or you can do like me and leave them a half inch longer to add some preload when you put the caps back on.

As for the glue, I used good old Super 77 spray adhesive in the can. ;)

Love what you have done with your bike. I just started in on my 400 and was wondering what you did with the speedometer throttle and brake cable. If you got new ones what lengths did you get and how much did you end up spending? I may just run to the salvage yard and try and find something. Just curious to see what route you took.

Back
Top Bottom