GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - We've got a runner!

Got some BANG! out of the motor tonight! I wired up some GR650 coils, put in some oil, cleaned the syrup from the carbs and hooked up a battery. After jumping the starter, she fired up pretty easily. I didn't even bother hooking up the stator wires since the PO said it was bad. After it ran for a couple seconds I noticed the stator cover gasket is bad and oil was leaking quickly onto my work bench.

But it lives!

CONGRATS! At least now you have a better idea know where you stand.
Good stuff Rich, that front end swap was a stroke of luck eh?

Thanks guys.

At the moment, I have the bike almost completely torn down to the frame. The front end is mounted, engine is still in, and carbs are still mounted, but everything else is off. There are some........"experiments" coming up in the near future so I need to leave the frame/motor alone. Also, I plan on contacting the PO about the title before I clean up and paint the frame.

Still plenty to do though!

I'm right down the road and work for beer. Cheap beer... Just let me know if you need a hand. Hahaha.

Honestly though, looking good so far Rich.

Thanks Mikey. Whenever you stop over, I'll throw the tins on real quick so you can see what it in person.

I got a phone call from the PO today - he said he had called the notary and the title hasn't come in yet. I guess they told him it "could" take 2 to 3 more weeks. The waiting continues.........but it's nice to hear an effort on his part.

I passed up a complete but basket case 450 not long ago.Wish I had the money to do the wheeling and dealing for it.

Oddly enough, we don't get a lot of 450's around here. There are a couple on Craigslist right now, but they range from about $1000 up to $2600. I did buy one a couple years ago for dirt cheap, but it was literally rotting away - vines growing through the frame and all.

Didn't get too much done the past couple days. .The big thing was I got the swingarm sandblasted and painted with black appliance epoxy. Also pulled the rear fender, taillight, plastic trunk, and mounting brackets apart. Any metal bits got blasted and painted, and the plastics got cleaned off. I did find out however, the bracket on the frame that supports half the battery tray was bent down about 1.5". I straightened it out to where it needs to be, but the weld point at the frame started to tear. That'll need fixed..........

Big Rich said:
Oddly enough, we don't get a lot of 450's around hear. There are a couple on Craigslist right now, but they range from about $1000 up to $2600. I did buy one a couple years ago for dirt cheap, but it was literally rotting away - vines growing through the frame and all.

Didn't get too much done the past couple days. .The big thing was I got the swingarm sandblasted and painted with black appliance epoxy. Also pulled the rear fender, taillight, plastic trunk, and mounting brackets apart. Any metal bits got blasted and painted, and the plastics got cleaned off. I did find out however, the bracket on the frame that supports half the battery tray was bent down about 1.5". I straightened it out to where it needs to be, but the weld point at the frame started to tear. That'll need fixed..........

The story I got was that most of the 450 shipped to eastern Canada and PNW.Normally I don't go on hear say but every time I see one listed on CL or Ebay,that's where it's located.

I've been peeling off the smaller parts and cleaning them up recently - foot peg mounts, battery tray, etc, etc. Everything got the paint stripped, sandblasted if necessary, hit with a flapper wheel / steel brush, alcohol bath, and painted with appliance epoxy. Still plenty to do, but in order to reserve space in the garage I've been doing 1 or 2 parts at a time. Now the good news:

I received a phone call about a week ago from the PO and he said he was still waiting for the title to be worked out. I haven't had a chance to call him until today but left a message with his wife. When I came into work I noticed he had left a voicemail........he got the title! So early next week I'll be meeting up with him to do the transfer. Woo-hoo!

Yesssir. Now did you get my PM about the titled GR650 here an hour away from me? It is in mint shape but he tanked the motor.

Cheers,

Mike

I think what Maritime is asking is, do you have a spare motor for him?

No actually if he wants the bike, I would get it for him and have an excuse to come for a weekend and drink beer with you idiots again ;D He was looking for a titled GR and this one would pay for itself just parting out everything but the frame he needs.

Here it is.

Add:
I have a nice clean GR650, fully rebuilt two years ago, with new bearings and seals, fresh paint. Daily ride for the last year. It has broken a cam chain and (possibly) damaged other engine internals. I have not pulled the engine to check. I am selling it as is, for anyone who has the mechanical skills to fix it, or can use the parts. Cases are intact, crank turns, cams and valves all appear to be in good shape. I just don't have the time to fix it.

Otherwise the bike is fine, with good electrics and bodywork. Seat is good. Wheels and forks are straight and leak free. If this bike was running, it would be worth $1500 or more, so it is a good deal even now.

I have extra parts, including a cam chain, extra crank, fuel tank, CDI, other bits. All included. I'll throw in new gaskets. Service manual on CD. Sold AS IS.

I would be willing to trade for a small pickup truck, scooter or small dual-sport motorcycle. If you have something to trade of similar value, we can haggle. Whatever it is, it must be titled, road-legal and in running condition.

Price dropped to $500. Please, no lowball offers, price is firm, if it does not sell in the next few weeks, it will be put in storage until I have the time to fix it myself.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!m!F!!E)3KgvBQOme,bfj!~~48_20.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!m!F!!E)3KgvBQOme,bfj!~~48_20.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,328

Crap Mike, I could have sworn I replied to that pm. But I'm trying to break my GR addiction........I figured I shouldn't be racking up all sorts of miles (and wear) on a bike that is so hard to find parts for.

Back
Top Bottom