1978 CB550 build

DBC

Been Around the Block
well, my bike is almost done, but I just joined the forum so I figured this was the place for pics and build progress thus far, so here are a whole bunch of pictures!

PICT4048.jpg

The day I brought it home

PICT4087.jpg

The day after I brought it home

PICT4088.jpg

engine with about 10 different oil leaks

PICT4092.jpg

nothing like starting from scratch

PICT4156.jpg

getting my mock-up together

PICT4157.jpg

PICT4158.jpg

PICT4159.jpg

PICT4176.jpg

After second dis-assembly I took everything outside for a session with the pressure pot for sand blasting

PICT4177.jpg

more sand blasting

PICT4178.jpg

time for the fun to begin!

PICT4179.jpg

PICT4180.jpg

PICT4182.jpg

After the Cinder red base and tangerine candy.

PICT4183.jpg

I got some crazy reactions when painting the front fender, so I had to respray that later.

PICT4184.jpg

PICT4185.jpg

PICT4187.jpg

masked and ready for black!

PICT4192.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere. Unfortunately, I failed to photograph the final assembly process, but I have taken some detailed photos of the finished product...scroll down ;D

PICT4193.jpg

PICT4189.jpg

PICT4190.jpg

PICT4242.jpg

PICT4243.jpg

I used the original seat pan and cut out the shape I wanted, then I cut little triangles out to hook the vinyl to so I could get it really tight.

PICT4244.jpg

original inner fender

PICT4245.jpg

I polished the outside of the wheel hubs, and painted the inside with Rustoleum industrial aluminum paint. it resulted in a great finish and clean look.

PICT4246.jpg

I love candy tangerine.

PICT4247.jpg

picture with the front fender on.

PICT4248.jpg

PICT4250.jpg

PICT4250.jpg

PICT4251.jpg

I am amazed at how load this little horn is.

PICT4252.jpg

PICT4253.jpg

OK, so there you have it. I still need to add gauges, which I just ordered and should be arriving soon. There was a ton of work done here, and being my first bike build, i think I've done ok so far. So, questions, comments, suggestions are all welcome. I will keep you all updated on the gauge install!

man, what an entrance. And the orange is amazing. Exactly what the color I was thinking. Great looking bike

thanks for the kind words. the color is House of Kolor candy tangerine over a cinder red base coat if your interested.

SWEET! one of my gauges came today! my indicator lights from KOSO North America.
PICT4262.jpg

PICT4264.jpg

will be installing this tomorrow, and my speedometer comes on Wed. Almost there!

Nice tank, whats it off?
Bike needs a fork brace, particularly with the tyres you fitted
The forks will twist real bad, axle isn't strong enough to support sliders on it's own.
I find it easier to make one or get a damaged mudguard and remove stock brace
The holes in stock are too big on (I think) right side, but, 1/4" ID spring washer happens to be perfect size to take up slack.
It makes a dramatic improvement in handling.
Forks are usually too soft as well and need heavier springs

crazypj said:
Nice tank, whats it off?
Bike needs a fork brace, particularly with the tyres you fitted
The forks will twist real bad, axle isn't strong enough to support sliders on it's own.
I find it easier to make one or get a damaged mudguard and remove stock brace
The holes in stock are too big on (I think) right side, but, 1/4" ID spring washer happens to be perfect size to take up slack.
It makes a dramatic improvement in handling.
Forks are usually too soft as well and need heavier springs

Thanks for the advice! I'll Probably end up making one due to the fact that my Dad used my old fender as part of a sculpture. I am pretty satisfied with the stiffness of the forks though, so I think I will leave them alone...for now.
The tank is a fiberglass unit from www.legendary-motorcycles.com I think its called a Continental.

DBC, this guy knows his stuff. Don't know if you heard about CrazyPJ, but heed his advice.

Bikes lookin amazing! What's the story behind the fairing?

I've heard, but isn't fork stiffness a matter of preference? or is it a necessary mod for proper operation? If so, I'll order new springs today.

DBC said:
Thanks for the advice! I'll Probably end up making one due to the fact that my Dad used my old fender as part of a sculpture. I am pretty satisfied with the stiffness of the forks though, so I think I will leave them alone...for now.
The tank is a fiberglass unit from http://www.legendary-motorcycles.com ] www.legendary-motorcycles.com [/url] I think its called a Continental.

Thanks for link.
As for fork stiffness, not up and down but twisting.
Stand in front of bike, grip wheel with knees and ankles, grab bars and turn them left and right.
Unless you only weigh about 100 lbs, you will probably be able to move bars about 3"~4" total

DBC said:
SWEET! one of my gauges came today! my indicator lights from KOSO North America.
PICT4262.jpg

PICT4264.jpg

will be installing this tomorrow, and my speedometer comes on Wed. Almost there!

Hey, where did you get that gauge and how easy is it to hook up?

so I saw the rest of this thread... I must say my hat goes off to you sir. clearly you have alot of experience with a spray gun. whats that all about?

I'm a custom painter (well, trying to be). I got laid off back in October and ever since, have been trying to start a little painting business. It's a slow process, but we're getting there :) Here's what I normally do:
PICT4222.jpg

WOW!

You have a killer first build DBC. The paint looks amazing and from the pics it looks like that Tangerine really pops in the sun!

thanks! yeah, the tangerine is a very nice color. the key is using the right base color though. I wanted something that looked light a bright red in normal light, but really pops and turns orange in the sun. The Cinder Red base was definitely the ticket here!

Nice paint I really like your work. Keep it up man you do excelent work and I hope the paint biz works out for you as you def have talent.

thompsonmx100 said:
Nice paint I really like your work. Keep it up man you do excelent work and I hope the paint biz works out for you as you def have talent.

Yeah me too, i'm pretty hopeful it will be a success.

In other news, I installed the new indicator lights today :)

PICT4273.jpg

PICT4277.jpg

PICT4276.jpg

the install was pretty straightforward. the most time consuming part was making the surround and an figuring out how to mount the thing. Wiring was simple...something new for this bike ;D

Back
Top Bottom