CL175 Cylinders

LittleKip

Sleep??
I need a cylinder for a CL175 Late sixties to mid seventies will work, her engine was locked up. I discovered that the one cylinder wall has a groove in it, I don't have the tools or experience to bore it out myself, and the local mechanic wants several hundred to do the job for me. If I can find a replacement cylinder then I don't need bigger pistons, I can just by new rings and hopefully get her running again.

If anyone out there has a decent cylinder that they're willing to part with, message me, and let me know how much you want for them.

What year? I have that spare motor from a 71 CL175 but the cylinders don't switch out with a 68.

I should have been more specific - the part #'s aren't the same between the vertical and sloper cylinders. Check out batemansracing.com and groupwracing.com, there's some info on them about what's interchangeable.

BigR- I spoke with Micheal from Batemans a while back and he said that the sloper and vert style cylinders were identical, and that any year would be safe. Just to make sure someone didn't deck the cylinders too much.

Wissy- Yeah looks like the same motor. Don't know if I could save the cylinder walls on that though.

That's good to know - thanks for the info.

Find out what you are going to do?

Yip, rusty no doubt maybe they could be bored out? , free if you want em anyways, just pay the shipping.

BigR- well... might you be willing to part with the one you have? if not I'm going to wait it out on ebay.

Wissy- thanks, but I have a set right now that I could use if I wanted to bore it out, but I'm trying to save money. All I need if I get my hands on the cylinder is some piston rings and meybe new valves.

Pm sent!

Wissy - keep that one handy though. I haven't seen the cylinders in the spare motor so they MIGHT not be any good.

Ok Kip, I got the spare motor pulled out and took some pics. Want to post them because I really dont know what they are going to need. Hopefully somebody has an idea?

IMGP2770.jpg

IMGP2771.jpg

You should be able to make it out - the skirts (?) of the pistons were rubbing on the bottoms of the cyllinders. I haven't had the chance to doublecheck the manual for the original size, but I'm pretty sure they are the stock sizes. Might just need honed?

Well, they look a damn sight better than mine. I would guess just a hone would do it. If you run your finger down the wall towards the edge (top and bottom) can you feel a "ridge"? If not then a honing should be all they'd need, and I would be interested in taking those of your hands.

You can feel the scratches with your fingernails, but just barely. And about halfway up the walls, those little scratches disappear.

How about this - pm me your address, I'll mail them out, and after you get them you can decide what they are worth. Sound like a fair deal?

Back
Top Bottom