Any Extra Headder Wrap around?

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
does anyone have any extra headder wrap laying around?
I wanna wrap a set of 4-1 headders that I have for my cb750 and before I go and buy 50 feet of the stuff, (way more than I'll ever need), I thought I might ask if anyone has some extra layin around that I can trade stuff for or buy.

let me know. I need some pretty soon!!

Cheers
N

You still need that header wrap? I just picked up a new roll and for sure wont need it all. i got a 4into1 and im only wrapping to the meg. I'm not going to put it on any of the other bikes ive got at the moment and the only reason im using it on this one is cos i dont run a front fender on it and dont want nasties splattering all over that shiny new chrome heh. you can have whats left if ya need it. Let me know sir!

P & G

-Josh

TonUpSoldier said:
You still need that header wrap? I just picked up a new roll and for sure wont need it all. i got a 4into1 and im only wrapping to the meg. I'm not going to put it on any of the other bikes ive got at the moment and the only reason im using it on this one is cos i dont run a front fender on it and dont want nasties splattering all over that shiny new chrome heh. you can have whats left if ya need it. Let me know sir!

P & G

-Josh

hey Josh,
Thanks for the offer dude!!.. I just ended up buying some extra today infact... I'm also wrapping a 4-1 headder. So far Ive used 50ft of 1 inch wrap and that only covered 3 of the 4 pipes to the collector. I had to go pic up and additional 15 feet to do the last pipe on the headder. I should have bought the 2 inch wide wrap. The Sales guy told me that the 1 inch width is better for bikes to accomodate the bends...(whatever!!)...

wow you ended up using that much?? Man i wonder if i have enough now...lol..no prob man happy to help if i can.. ;D

TonUpSoldier said:
wow you ended up using that much?? Man i wonder if i have enough now...lol..no prob man happy to help if i can.. ;D
yeah, you have to over lap by about 1/3. If you have the 1 inch wide stuff and havent opened up the package yet, mabe you should return it and get the 2 inch wide stuff. Its a bit more expensive but you'll use less of it!!..

I think a 2 inch thick at 50 feet would have been just enought for what I needed!!..

Good luck.. what colour did you get?

Thanks again man!!

Just got the white/cream whatever colour you wanna call it. I've tried the coloured stuff before and it all ends up cooking off. I did however find some sealant/paint for header wrap, supposedly its stays the same colour and protects it from rot but who knows. I kinda like the way the white stuff looks anyway. What are you using to retain it? i was gonna use screw down clamps, thats what i used on the last bike i had it on, but they are kinda bulky lookin. Any better idea??

josh

I'm thinking of using this stuff on the 400 project on the custom TT pipes. I was originally gonna go with stainless and polish it, but now I'm thinking of mild steel and header wrap. Would likely be a little easier and it wouldn't have to be as perfect if I'm just gonna wrap it anyway. So I was wondering, what kind of places would you get this stuff? I haven't looked into it at all, but in New Hamburg there's a pretty freakin sweet hot rod shop that I'm sure will have it. Just wondering what I should expect to spend on it for a 50 foot of 1 inch (only 2 pipes so don't need 2 inch). Also, what other colours is this stuff available in?

Rudy

yeah for sure a hot rod shop'll have it Rud, and it comes in all kinda colours but it'll end up cookin off and fading for the most part ( i saw red header wrap turn pink..BARF) Like i said tho, they have a paint/sealant that comes in colours but i havent tried it... And i actually measured mine after my dicussion with Noel and i got the 2 inch (it was all they had) I paid 20 bucks for a 50ft roll. There are some added benifits to wrap besides the look too, as it helps keep your exhaust gasses up to temp. I love that chromed out V&H i have, but im one of those that would rather spend more time ridding it than polishing it hehe

josh

TonUpSoldier said:
yeah for sure a hot rod shop'll have it Rud, and it comes in all kinda colours but it'll end up cookin off and fading for the most part ( i saw red header wrap turn pink..BARF) Like i said tho, they have a paint/sealant that comes in colours but i havent tried it... And i actually measured mine after my dicussion with Noel and i got the 2 inch (it was all they had) I paid 20 bucks for a 50ft roll. There are some added benifits to wrap besides the look too, as it helps keep your exhaust gasses up to temp. I love that chromed out V&H i have, but im one of those that would rather spend more time ridding it than polishing it hehe

josh

Yep...Here in TOronto, I spent $50 for 1 inch 50feet roll + another $20 for an additional 15 feet. Im going later on to get that black paint/sealant. Thats gonna cost me another $20. I just used hose clamps on mine. Im not gonna spend more for metal zip ties, although you might be able to get them cheap at Home Depot.

Did a little research on this stuff. Whether or not this is accurate or true or not, I don't know, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

Did a little extra research and found that mild steel has the highest melting point of all the usual materials used for exhaust at around 2700 degrees F. My exhaust can't get that hot, especially when they say that normal EGTs are around 1200 F. So I would think it would be pretty safe. Have any of you had any trouble with any of this stuff before? I think it's kinda different on a parallel twin bike engine with the headers out in the breeze rather than under the hood with a big hot V8. I'm looking at the copper impregnated version, a little more money, but I'd like the look. I gotta see what the difference is gonna be between mild steel and stainless mandrel bends and pipe. I'll check tonight at the hot rod shop in town for the wrap and prices.

DAmn interesting read!!... but a good point about headder wrap in a big v8 under the hood running laps on a track for hours...
I think putting them on the bike for occassional rides should destroy the headders.
Besides, if they do destroy the headders, (in 10 years), then it a great excuse to get new ones!!.. LOL!!!

The way I see it, I don't think it'll be a problem. Maybe I'll weigh my pipes before I put them on, then again after a few weeks. See if there IS any difference. A big race tuned 8 will make a helluva lot more heat than my little 400 will. So I think mild steel is a go, pending price comparison with SS. Should come out on top even with about $50 for wrap. Plus I think I'll like the look better and I can tack the system together myself then send it out for TIG.

I've heard of a guy seeing his pipes glowing bright red through a hole in the wrap before, but I don't think his carbs were set right (running HOT), so I'd say if it's tuned right, there should be no problems. I've also seen bare headers at tractor pulls that are glowing about as bright as a light bulb after a few second run, so it must be alright.

I'll definitely post anything bad/good that happens in my journey.

Rudy

Ive seen header wrap catch on fire at tractor pulls so i think its safe to say they run a little hotter than our bikes ;)

Back
Top Bottom