media blasting?

saucer

Coast to Coast
hey all, my 450 engine is coming apart to install a big bore kit, so i thought it'll be a good time t shine it up, anybody know of a good place that do media blasting in toronto, please let me know,much appreciated,

You might give Concepts on Wheels a shout. They do all sorts of machine and cosmetic work and I'm sure they will have some ideas on cleaning up the engine cases. Are you taking it completely apart?

Tintin said:
You might give Concepts on Wheels a shout. They do all sorts of machine and cosmetic work and I'm sure they will have some ideas on cleaning up the engine cases. Are you taking it completely apart?
hey thanks, tom at cyclewerks is taking it apart to install the big bore kit,the jugs were covered in blk paint , i just stripped the paint , but it still looks dark, i think only blasting will take it all off,on another topic, does anybody know if a honda starter motor is mad of aluminum?, i'd like to clean mine up by polishing, but if it's steel then i'd have to paint,

Doesnt Mr.Scarcat have a media blaster in his kitchen or something?

saucer said:
hey thanks, tom at cyclewerks is taking it apart to install the big bore kit,the jugs were covered in blk paint , i just stripped the paint , but it still looks dark, i think only blasting will take it all off,on another topic, does anybody know if a honda starter motor is mad of aluminum?, i'd like to clean mine up by polishing, but if it's steel then i'd have to paint,

The starter cylinder is steel and the end caps are aluminum.

Whoever is doing the machining of the cylinders can blast them for you. I had mine done at Gord Bush Performance in Etobicoke and would highly recommend them.

Tintin said:
Whoever is doing the machining of the cylinders can blast them for you. I had mine done at Gord Bush Performance in Etobicoke and would highly recommend them.
thanks tin i'll look into that,

locO leoN said:
Doesnt Mr.Scarcat have a media blaster in his kitchen or something?

Yes, I'm getting a blasting cage and air compressor. it's on delay as I have to pay for a trip to europe first.

You should get the valves reseated and the guides checked while you're at it too. The machine shop (again, Gord Bush is highly recommended) will do it all and blast it all clean for you.

The bottom end is a different question. Are you splitting the engine cases etc.? If not, you can still clean them up and paint them. I stripped black spray paint off mine and sanded them down to bare aluminum. Wasn't easy, and still some ways to go.

I may still end up painting them, but more likely I'll just clean them up some more and leave them. I may pick up another bottom end to do up right - split the cases, clean and refurbish everything, refinish the cases and then swap the top end off my engine onto it or build another complete engine.

Tintin said:

He done my Trump head, Highly rec.. GORD BUSH PERFORMANCE
7650 Kimbel Street #33,
Missisauga,ON,Canada
L5S 1L2 (905) 677-8657
map

My mechanic just wants to sand and paint my case... should I ask him to sand or bead blast first? Is it worth doing? I like treating the details with care.

Would you paint afterwards and if so can you find a high-heat clear coat?

If you can get it bead blasted that's the way to go. Then I'd seriously consider a high-temp engine paint. Don't think clearcoating it will help much after that and would just serve to retain more heat.

My engine cases at this point are mostly free of any finish - just bare aluminum. Will not likely look nice for long though. If I was splitting the engine cases I'd for sure get them properly blasted (NOT sand blasted) and then I'd paint them and cure them properly in an oven.

Back
Top Bottom